General Monte Carlo Talk Talk about the Monte Carlo. Does not have to be your Monte. Can include pics and games.

Should I buy an LS4 Monte !?

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2016, 07:01 PM
Default Should I buy an LS4 Monte !?

Hey guys. Im in the market for a new car soon and am really intrigued by these monsters. It's either this, a LNF cobalt SS or a Charger RT. I currently already have a 2005 Monte LS.

Are they good cars that seem to last ?
I know the 4T65E-HD tranny is known for its clunking. I have that current problem with my current Monte. Still goes though. Just slips gears. Is this super common ? Or just a crap shoot.

ALSO, i have looked for a mods list. And found some stuff. But i would like to at some point be in the high 12 sec 1/4 mile range with any car I get.

Let me know what you guys think ! thank you

Old 05-16-2016, 07:24 PM
Monte Of The Month -- June 2013
Monte Of The Month -- December 2015
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

Well atleast you know the transmissions are weak, the problem tends to be a bit worse on LS4's since they have more power. High 12's is pretty doable as some cars can do high 13's stock. Look around and you'll find the needed mods. Or just go turbo and you'll have no issues getting there.

Old 05-16-2016, 07:38 PM

Orrr do I go with the GXP. I just don't know. Haha

Old 05-16-2016, 08:00 PM

Originally Posted by Alex S
Orrr do I go with the GXP. I just don't know. Haha

Hi Alex, I just don't know either....It's such a major personal preference/decision/investment that you have to live with as long as you own it.

I suggest searching your area & finding the auto's you like & taking them for a long test drive...I would also use the web to do an in depth search for the vehicles that you are considering. I found it best to do your auto homework instead of having buyers remorse after you sign a contract and later find out you really don't like it.

The web is a powerful resource for information...What I may like is something that you don't. Wish you good luck on finding what you will really like >Good Luck<

Last edited by BeachBumMike; 05-16-2016 at 08:29 PM.
Old 05-16-2016, 08:24 PM

Monte Of The Month -- November 2012
Monte Of The Month -- June 2014
Monte Of The Month -- July 2016
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

If you have a chance to go Charger R/T go charger R/T as there is more aftermarket parts more easily to get plus the RWD wont restrict you like a FWD would.

With that said, The LS4 cars are a really fun car, i wouldn't trade my Monte for anything. As for Transmissions they seem a common problem but it is a crap shoot, I'm at 116k miles and it has never in its lifetime clunked or slipped out of gear. (owned it since 38k miles) so it's really just luck of the draw.

Old 05-16-2016, 09:26 PM

Originally Posted by Alex S
Hey guys. Im in the market for a new car soon and am really intrigued by these monsters. It's either this, a LNF cobalt SS or a Charger RT. I currently already have a 2005 Monte LS.

Are they good cars that seem to last ?
I know the 4T65E-HD tranny is known for its clunking. I have that current problem with my current Monte. Still goes though. Just slips gears. Is this super common ? Or just a crap shoot.

ALSO, i have looked for a mods list. And found some stuff. But i would like to at some point be in the high 12 sec 1/4 mile range with any car I get.

Let me know what you guys think ! thank you

That's a pretty wide range of cars you're looking at. I would guess that the easiest to get into the 12s would be the cobalt. The LNF is pretty easy to mod, so between tires, a little weight reduction, and some power mods - you should easily have a high 12 second car. The downside is that at the end of the day, it's still a cobalt which is more of a kids car / econobox.

The monte is a bit more difficult to get there. It's a low 14 second car stock, but there aren't a lot of easy mods to shave over a second off (a turbo kit would, but it's $5k+). With any other LS, a cam swap would do it, but that's not so simple on the ls4. I guess its possible with headers/intake manifold/tune/tires, you might be close. The upside here is that it's a more grown up car and has a nice v8 exhaust note, but the downside is the transmission- they've come apart on plenty of stock ls4s.

The charger is a bit of an oddball. I'm not sure how easy they are to mod. The rwd setup will help a bunch, but they sure are heavy! Definitely lots of aftermarket for the hemi, but not being a boosted engine, it'll probably take more work than the cobalt would.

Just my .02

Old 05-16-2016, 10:13 PM

Originally Posted by bumpin96monte
That's a pretty wide range of cars you're looking at. I would guess that the easiest to get into the 12s would be the cobalt. The LNF is pretty easy to mod, so between tires, a little weight reduction, and some power mods - you should easily have a high 12 second car. The downside is that at the end of the day, it's still a cobalt which is more of a kids car / econobox.

The monte is a bit more difficult to get there. It's a low 14 second car stock, but there aren't a lot of easy mods to shave over a second off (a turbo kit would, but it's $5k+). With any other LS, a cam swap would do it, but that's not so simple on the ls4. I guess its possible with headers/intake manifold/tune/tires, you might be close. The upside here is that it's a more grown up car and has a nice v8 exhaust note, but the downside is the transmission- they've come apart on plenty of stock ls4s.

The charger is a bit of an oddball. I'm not sure how easy they are to mod. The rwd setup will help a bunch, but they sure are heavy! Definitely lots of aftermarket for the hemi, but not being a boosted engine, it'll probably take more work than the cobalt would.

Just my .02
Very true. I Really like the cobalt setup. But they are very rarely for sale. Im leaning towards to gxp/SS Monte. I like the front wheel drive option as Ohio winters can be rough and Id need it all year round. As for the charger. I'd love one. But like the tranny problems in the Ls4 cars. I guess the engine seems to just give out at like 100k miles. Entire thing shot in the 06-09 r/ts. Which sucks.
I tried searching the main difference between the gxp and the Monte but couldn't really find much. Other than the gxp is heavier (given it's a 4 door) and has better suspension breaks. And something about better front tires. But are expensive as hell to replace. Is that right ? Anything else major on the gxp that gives it a little more of a wow factor over the Monte?

Old 05-16-2016, 10:15 PM

Hi `Alex,
What is your budget for a Monster Car ? I noticed in your profile that you are 19 years old do you have any tickets/points ? If your looking for a Monster Performance Car, I'd suggest checking with your insurance Company to see what your rate would be for a performance car ? I know my insurance was super high on any performance type vehicle.

Also, maintenance can be high on a Performance Car....Just replacing burned out tires & paying speeding tickets >(LOL)...

Hope you have a good job or a great trust fund ...Let us know what you decide `OK good luck

Old 05-16-2016, 10:20 PM

Also ! What is the common problem that goes in these transmissions that makes them slip/clunk? From my research a faulty shifting solenoid could cause the problem. I've tried tons of additives on my LS Monte. But nothing helps it. Although it hasn't gotten worse and has 144k miles on it. Tranny shop told me all they could do is a rebuild on the entire thing which would run like 1700 dollars.

Is there anything to upgrade in these trannys to prevent this from happening i guess is what im asking.

Old 05-16-2016, 10:21 PM

Originally Posted by BeachBumMike
Hi `Alex,
What is your budget for a Monster Car ? I noticed in your profile that you are 19 years old do you have any tickets/points ? If your looking for a Monster Performance Car, I'd suggest checking with your insurance Company to see what your rate would be for a performance car ? I know my insurance was super high on any performance type vehicle.

Also, maintenance can be high on a Performance Car....Just replacing burned out tires & paying speeding tickets >(LOL)...

Hope you have a good job or a great trust fund ...Let us know what you decide `OK good luck
Looking at about 10k for any of the cars above really. And I've checked a few cars with my insurance company. Not anything crazy which is good. And no accidents or tickets so far 😁

Last edited by Alex S; 05-16-2016 at 10:51 PM.