General Monte Carlo Talk Talk about the Monte Carlo. Does not have to be your Monte. Can include pics and games.

Should I buy??? Getting discouraged

Old 03-23-2012, 11:55 AM
Default Should I buy??? Getting discouraged

Below ive posted a link to an 2001 Monte with 145,000 and lower intake manifold already replaced on it everything seemed good until we started talking and he notified me of a dent in the hood, cracking on the front valance and a small dent in rear passenger quarter panel. Ive attached a picture of the hood. I know the car is 11 years old and isn't going to perfect he is willing to take $4000 without the rims but I thinking about the new hood im going to have to order and get painted I would be comfortable with $3000 am I crazy???

**_______2001 Monte Carlo SS______**

Im having alot of trouble finding an SS with leather, sunroof, hasn't been abused 5 out of the 7 of the cars I go see are leaking oil, have check engine lights on and just aren't up to par. I drove over 3 hours for a black SS with silver sports kit and nascar spoiler clean carfax (ive attached picture of it too) to Arnold,MO and got 10 min away and was told the car was sold AND HE KNEW I WAS COMING TO SEE IT AND TOLD ME HE WOULDNT LET THE OTHER GUY SEE IT UNTIL AFTER I CAME.

I have $4800 to spend now and my mother and GF are trying to get me to look at other cars but im not even sure about what I want to do. There is a really nice 2004 Grand Prix GT black w/ black leather and a sunroof 2 owners that im suppose to look at Monday but all I know and love is a Monte... HONESTLY should I look at other cars and PLEASE dont suggest getting an LS i feel like that would be a downgrade lol I KNOW ULTIMATELY WE MAKE OUR OWN DECISIONS BUT I NEED SOME ADVICE AND DON'T KNOW WHAT TO DO??? I NEED TO KNOW WHAT OTHER CAR ENTHUSIAST THINK AND WOULD DO IN MY SITUATION.

Attached Thumbnails Should I buy??? Getting discouraged-mcdamage.jpg   Should I buy??? Getting discouraged-photo-1.jpg   Should I buy??? Getting discouraged-photo-2.jpg  
Old 03-23-2012, 12:40 PM

Sorry to hear that you are having such a hard time finding a car. I had the same issues when I bought my Monte. Everything had 140,000+ miles on it and they still wanted a lot of money for them. I know the 3.8 will last a long time if it taken care of, but how do you know that it hasn't been beat and mistreated? I finally bought an LS and have been putting SS interior and such in it. I'm going to swap out the 3400 for a 3800 here in a couple weeks (if things go right). I wish I had an SS, but like I said, it is hard to find affordable ones without a ton of miles. If I were you I would definitely NOT settle for an LS. They are nice cars, but they are not an SS.

The car you posted doesn't look too bad. I see that it's in Calmus. That is not too awful far from me. It's about an hour away. If you want someone to go look at it before you drive all the way there to check it out, let me know. I'd be happy to look at it and let you know how it looks. But, don't buy something that you are not comfortable with.

Last edited by mairj40; 03-23-2012 at 12:44 PM.
Old 03-23-2012, 04:22 PM

Monte Of The Month -- June 2011
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

well I am confused I guess, why does the car for sale not have silver effects and the ones you posted do except for the dented hood pic?

Old 03-23-2012, 06:46 PM

The one with the silver is the one that was sold i though he'd said. and The black one with the dent is the one still avaliable if I gathered it all correctly. Honestly don't settle for any less than you want or you will be unhappy. I was going to settle for cheaper tires for my new rims but my family encouraged me to get the ones I want or I wouldn't be happy. So I'm savign for the ones I want.

Old 03-23-2012, 10:41 PM

Ever considered an 04-05 SS Impala?

Old 03-23-2012, 10:48 PM

Originally Posted by BlackRainSS
The one with the silver is the one that was sold i though he'd said. and The black one with the dent is the one still avaliable if I gathered it all correctly. Honestly don't settle for any less than you want or you will be unhappy. I was going to settle for cheaper tires for my new rims but my family encouraged me to get the ones I want or I wouldn't be happy. So I'm savign for the ones I want.
You gathered it correctly I went to the dealership today before work because I saw an ad in the paper its a white 2003 SS with white sport kit and nascar spoiler looks very good they was $7000 we sat down crunched numbers and I took it for a test drive I would love to get it and be happy with it but I would have to take out the loan then my mother would be pissed and id have to deal with all that. Im suppose to look at the grand prix tomorrow so we will see what happens.

Originally Posted by mairj40
Sorry to hear that you are having such a hard time finding a car. I had the same issues when I bought my Monte. Everything had 140,000+ miles on it and they still wanted a lot of money for them. I know the 3.8 will last a long time if it taken care of, but how do you know that it hasn't been beat and mistreated? I finally bought an LS and have been putting SS interior and such in it. I'm going to swap out the 3400 for a 3800 here in a couple weeks (if things go right). I wish I had an SS, but like I said, it is hard to find affordable ones without a ton of miles. If I were you I would definitely NOT settle for an LS. They are nice cars, but they are not an SS.

The car you posted doesn't look too bad. I see that it's in Calmus. That is not too awful far from me. It's about an hour away. If you want someone to go look at it before you drive all the way there to check it out, let me know. I'd be happy to look at it and let you know how it looks. But, don't buy something that you are not comfortable with.
Thanks man ill have to keep that in mind he says its in the shop right now getting the ignition fixed he was having the "Security Light" issue lol but it will be out Monday if I dont make any major moves this weekend ill keep you in mind about going to see it maybe we can do it together its an hour 30 from me

Old 03-24-2012, 12:43 AM

No problem man. Anything I can do to help out. It sucks that you're in the situation that you're in.

Old 03-24-2012, 12:50 AM

Loans are not the devil. With 4800 to spend you can put down 3500 for down payment loan payments will be super cheap. the other 1300 use for sales tax, plates, and 6 months insurance. I put 1000 down and payed 12k and change for mine. payments are only 237 a month on 12k owed. payed in advance and my june payment is down to 160 so its not bad. plus helps you build credit.

Old 03-24-2012, 12:58 AM
Monte Of The Month -- June 2013
Monte Of The Month -- December 2015
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

Originally Posted by Jomao_o
Ever considered an 04-05 SS Impala?
I Love the impala ss. My opinion, don't settle for something your not happy wIth jut to get a car. You'll regret it down the road

Old 03-24-2012, 12:59 AM
Monte Of The Month -- September 2012
Monte Of The Month -- February 2016
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

I know the discouraged feeling, I was getting that way right before we found our 01,

Don't just jump on somthing becuase you want one, the right one will find you

I have to agree with MT Grizzy don't be too scared of a loan yes that includes having to have full coverage on it and all that jazz

we put 3k down and have 5k left to pay with tax, title, and warrenty rolled in
Our payment is $157 a month, ins is $126 a month but with my record that's not bad

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Should I buy??? Getting discouraged