General Monte Carlo Talk Talk about the Monte Carlo. Does not have to be your Monte. Can include pics and games.

Service Traction System Light -_-

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2013, 09:18 PM

Well see I don't exactly have the cash for it right now. Trying to find a median between cheap and Timken. If there's simply not one in the middle, then whatever, but if there is, it's better than driving with a bad something or other. Hub/bearing, sensor, who knows.

Here's the thing. I live in GA. Where it's humid except in winter (where I didn't have the issue unless it rained). Now I have the problem when it rains and when there's humidity in the air, which is going to be increasingly often. Makes me think it's a sensor, but the abs and other codes make me think it's the hub/bearing?

Old 03-21-2013, 01:01 AM

I think it's moisture that causes/exacerbates the issue. Seems that the wiring in the hub itself is somehow affected by moisture over time. Mine quickly went from intermittent warnings to daily. Best to just change them based on what they look like when you finally are able to get them off the car...I also think it's good peace of mind considering the hub/bearing is what takes the abuse each time you hammer the throttle...Probably not a part you'd want to go the cheap route with.

Last edited by SSilver; 03-21-2013 at 01:06 AM.
Old 03-21-2013, 06:59 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

If you hook up a scanner to the Car,it will tell you what wheel sensor is going off. For me it was the right front

Old 03-21-2013, 09:00 AM

I never have an OBDII when the code is up. When it goes away it disappears from the history. I've tried pulling it up before and it's not even there.

Old 03-21-2013, 03:30 PM

Originally Posted by 06mistreSS
I've also experienced the traction system and abs warnings but it was on my 03. If I remember correctly, that turned out to be a failed rear wheel hub sensor thus the whole hub was replaced.
Rear???

How hard is it to do yourself...Doesn't the hub have to be pressed in or something?

I'm getting that light and should probably get to it soon.

Old 03-21-2013, 03:34 PM
Monte Of The Month -- November 2012
Monte Of The Month -- August 2015
10 Year Member

Originally Posted by Mac7504
Rear???

How hard is it to do yourself...Doesn't the hub have to be pressed in or something?

I'm getting that light and should probably get to it soon.
I just had the dealership replace it.

Old 03-21-2013, 04:48 PM

What did the dealer charge you, Matt? Curious...

Old 03-21-2013, 04:55 PM
Monte Of The Month -- November 2012
Monte Of The Month -- August 2015
10 Year Member

Originally Posted by 2006 Silver Monte SS
What did the dealer charge you, Matt? Curious...
Around $650 I think. I didn't have the time to do the work myself at that time.

Old 03-22-2013, 09:17 PM

Originally Posted by Lorenzo
It seems i fix one thing on this car and then something else breaks Anyways when i first bought the car this light came on the first few days and then Disappeared up until a few weeks ago. We got hit with a huge snow storm and i had to move the car to get the snowblower out. I dug out the front a bit then drove it out but then it got stuck. So anyways i plowed the driveway and got the car unstuck later, this was on a friday. Then monday when i was going to school i drove for maybe 30 seconds then the light came on. It stayed on for a few days and then when things dryed up and got a bit warm it dissapeered. 2 Days later after it rained it came back again on the morning drive but then was gone on my way back and for the next few days. This week it came on once in the morning on monday and then was gone till this morning and we had another huge snow storm and the car got stuck again. Anyways i had it in the air at school last week to try and fix the problem and saw the wire coming out of the speed sensor from the wheel bearing, the plastic around it looked cracked and broken. The scan tool showed that it was the RF Wheel speed sensor, so passenger side wheel sensor. Now i know i have to replace the wheel bearing but it just seems so weird that it dissapperes for 5 months and then comes back almost every week now and when its only wet sometimes. Anyways i got a quote for a wheel bearing and it was 63 for economy with a 10 month warranty or 153 with a 3 year warranty. Which one would be better? Is there really a huge difference between them?
I had the same problem and all i did was check, unplug and replug all the bearing sensors on the wheels, and there's a abs module box thing inside the engine bay right behind the brake fluid canister and right in front of the driver strut top mount. Anyways I opened it up and cleaned it up a little, there was a little bit of sand in there. But that took care of the problem. Btw i had the "trac off" light and the "abs" light on at the same time.

Old 03-23-2013, 01:55 AM
Monte Of The Month - February 2010
10 Year Member

Originally Posted by 06mistreSS
Around $650 I think. I didn't have the time to do the work myself at that time.

You paid $650..... are you ****ing crazy, for a bearing replacement.....

Quick Reply: Service Traction System Light -_-