General Monte Carlo Talk Talk about the Monte Carlo. Does not have to be your Monte. Can include pics and games.

7th Gen ('06-'07): Road Trip !

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2014, 11:57 PM
3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default Road Trip !

I'm on vacation !
I left Whitby, ON Friday morning, for a trip to Florida. I had nothing to do over the New Years break, so I thought I'd drive south till I see Palm trees.
Friday's drive was good but a PITA at the border. They searched the car and luggage and 50 questions. He seemed to think I was going to work or smuggle something.
Then it was a nice drive through Buffalo, Erie PA and Pittsburgh, I stayed in West Virginia.
Saturday's drive was great, I love driving the hills and curves of I77 through Virginia and the tunnels are fun. I played with a Corvette for a while, or he played with me, but it was fun.
The Monte runs great, but it's a little louder than it used to be. With the mufflers on their way out, it's got more of a growl than a purr, but I like it.
Then it flattened out, but before it got boring, i ran into a traffic jam.
Iit was stop and go all the way from I26, through Charleston and down I95. Where did all that traffic come from on a Saturday afternoon/evening?
I stopped at a rest stop and had a nap. When the traffic picked up again, me and a mustang played with all the people who are hard to get around when they won't move over.
I move over, or let people in, I don't understand the lane hog thing. I watch NASCAR and blocking never ends well.
I made it just past Savannah, definitely warmer than back home. And I'll do the rest of the trip tomorrow.
I'm heading for Port St. Lucie, FL.

Last edited by TomF106SS; 12-28-2014 at 12:29 AM.
Old 12-28-2014, 10:54 AM

Monte Of The Month -- February 2013
5 Year Member

I sure envy you tom.

Be sure to hit up Miami if you can especially South Beach! (be ready to get yur eyes full)

The Mrs and I were there a cpl yrs ago... We also stopped in to a Tattoo shop called "Miami Ink". It was also a TV show.. Yes.. we did get tats.

Maybe consider going from Miami thru Gator alley to Fort Meyers.. Lots to see and do there.. Maybe on your way across Gator Alley..stop and enjoy an Airboat ride... (Especially around 3pm..) We got a private ride for the price of a regular ride... It was kick *** and the driver... Well lets just say... It was a hair raising experience..

Enjoy your trip and keep us posted of your adventure!
Stay Safe..

Old 12-28-2014, 02:00 PM

I'm here
Checked in at Hilton Garden Inn - PGA Village
Today's drve was good, except;
For the first time in 8-3/4 years, I just experienced GM's Famous Ignition Switch SHUT OFF !!
I was pulling in to a rest stop, maybe a little fast, used the brakes hard and hit a minor road bump, and the engine shut off. Dead. And pulling into a rest stop there are lots of twisty turns and braking.
I just barely made it to a parking spot. Fortunately, there was no one close to me.
It shook me up a bit.
But, I have a beautiful pool and hot tub surrounded by Palm Trees to relax in.

And thanx for the tip about airboat ride, that's someting I never thought of.

Old 12-28-2014, 02:13 PM

Monte Of The Month -- January 2015
Monte Of The Month -- February 2011
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Glad your ok and have fun down here in the south. Wish you could head over on the way out to meet a fellow member.

Old 12-28-2014, 09:29 PM

Thanks Mel
I'd like to meet other members, but New Orleans is a bit far out of the way.
Isn't Space in Florida? I'm going to send him a message.
Anybody else in Florida?

P.S. I went out to wash her. There was a nice clean car hiding underneath all that Salt and Dirt !!!
I also found out this is a very rich neighborhood. This Hilton Garden Inn is at PGA village.
The parking lot is full of Caddy's BMW's and Mercedes. Even a Maserati !

Last edited by TomF106SS; 12-28-2014 at 10:00 PM.
Old 12-28-2014, 09:35 PM
Monte Of The Month -- April 2015
3 Year Member
1 Year Member

I am very envious of you Tom I would love to be down there right now. I hope you have a great trip.

Old 12-29-2014, 11:35 AM
Monte of the Month -- March 2015

Thats nice that you went south for a bit. Just out of curiosity which highway did you take through pittsburgh? I live there thats why I am asking. hahaha

Old 12-29-2014, 11:59 AM

Monte Of The Month -- January 2015
Monte Of The Month -- February 2011
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

[QUOTE=TomF106SS;641533]Thanks Mel
I'd like to meet other members, but New Orleans is a bit far out of the way.
Isn't Space in Florida? I'm going to send him a message.
Anybody else in Florida?

Hope to meet several of you guys at the Monte Nationals this coming year.

Old 12-29-2014, 06:11 PM

Originally Posted by crazyzach722
Thats nice that you went south for a bit. Just out of curiosity which highway did you take through pittsburgh? I live there thats why I am asking. hahaha
I took I79 straight thru, nice drive.

Old 01-01-2015, 11:41 PM

I'm on the road again, Wednesday was all rain and Thursday didn't look any better, so I left Florida a day early.
I'm heading for McDonough, GA to Summit Racing to pick up a set of Borla headers for the ZL1 when she comes out of hibernation. And maybe a set of Hawk brake pads. And I just want to see what they might have for the Monte.
The Monte's running good but I still get a check engine light come and go every few drive cycles. It's an 02 sensor code, but I don't really want to fix it since it's going to need a whole new exhaust soon anyway. One muffler rattles some and it louder than it used to be.

Quick Reply: 7th Gen ('06-'07): Road Trip !