General Monte Carlo Talk Talk about the Monte Carlo. Does not have to be your Monte. Can include pics and games.

Rick's Fog Lights Saga Continues!

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2008, 02:47 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default Rick's Fog Lights Saga Continues!

Went to Chevy today to see if there was anything they had as far as an instructional sheet or directions to install the Fog Lights I got coming from the "Salvage Business" in Georgia. They got nothing the Parts Guy tells me. He gives me a printout of the Switch and Relay needed to fire those babies up when I get them installed.
He also tells me to have a chat with a Service Writer who might know what needs to be done to get the Fog Lights hooked-up and coming-on with electricity from the wiring harness.

1. The don't know and would have to look to see if the Wiring Harness on my Monte is pre-wired for Fog Lights. I think it is. I think the Plug-in's are right on the Harness, right where the Fog Lights should go.

2. I need the Switch, Relay. Understood. I'll buy a Relay and put it in the Fuse Panel where I know it goes because the Fuse Panel is marked with a dotted line indicating that the Relay belongs there and there isn't one at the moment.

3. Curve Ball. He also tells me that the Monte's computer needs to be Programmed for the addition of the two lights. "Bodywork Control Module" ... I don't see a Bodywork Control Module listed in the Owners Manual. Why would a computer need to know that there is additional lights to come on. I thought this would be a simple matter of installing the component parts and completing the Circuit and they'd just work.

Is there such a Control Module? Where is it? Or, am I still typing with my wool hat pulled down over my eyes and think that the Monte is going to have to make a visit to the Service Department for a Computer Module rewrite?

Does anybody know for sure. I didn't see anything when I searched for it on line.

I'll appreciate the responses from the Forum Members that have the lights and know what the scoop really is.

Thanks,
Rick

Old 01-30-2008, 02:51 PM
Default RE: Rick's Fog Lights Saga Continues!

this just seems to b a never ending problem for u

Old 01-30-2008, 04:43 PM

i'll ask at work tommorow dude. i'm pretty sure the shop foreman has fog lights on his monte.

Old 01-30-2008, 05:21 PM

The module disables the Fogs when you switch your highbeams on, among other things.

Old 01-30-2008, 05:45 PM
10 Year Member

Thanks for all the replies.
I'm sure I have a handle on this project. I think its going to be easier than replacing the Spark Plugs.
My guess is that this adventure in Monte Carlo upgrading is going to be all: "Plug-in and Play"
The Wiring Harness has a pair of Connector Ends right on the Harness below the Headlights. One each for the Fog Lights (I'm fairly certain. What else would they be for?)
The Engine Compartment Relay Block has a vacant space for the Relay. Plug-in Relay. (Ordered with correct Part Number along with Stock Switch from GM Parts Direct)
On the Turn Signal Stalk Wiring Pigtail extending down to the Main Connection, there is a Plug-in Connection. I'm guessing that's going to be Plugged-in to my New Switch. The Fog Light Switch is the only thing missing from the Monte, at the moment, but I got one coming.
Fuse Panel spot for Fusing the Fog Lights is empty. I'll look-up the Amperage for thaht Fuse and Plug one in.
That, after getting the Lights mounted, plugged-in, relayed, switched and fused ought to do the trick.
I DO have a handle on this project.
I'm further along than I was with nothing coming and just the louvered covers haunting me.
I'm going to do this and they are going to work.
I give you all my word on that!

Old 01-30-2008, 06:42 PM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2007

[:@]I for got about that[:@]. It's under the carpet under the drivers seat[:@]. The light switchs tell the computer what you want to do, but the BCM is what controls ALL the lights[:@]. I would suggest that you run a new wire and relay and just bypass the computer. You should still be able to use the factory switch to do this[:'(].
In my '01 SS LE, I had problems with lights flickering upon startup[:@]. It was the BCM[:@][:@][:@]

Old 01-30-2008, 07:55 PM

https://montecarloforum.com/m_64836/tm.htm

the factory switch is a momentary signal switch to the bcm which controls factory fog lights. there is a pigtail inside of your dash for the factory fog light switch. i do NOT know if that wiring connects to the bcm. i do NOT know if a bcm in a car not originally equiped with fog lights could control fog lights. i do NOT know, but seriously doubt that there are output wires for foglights leaving the bcm. i do know that there are NOT pigtails/connectors or any wiring for foglights in the bumper/front lighting wiring harness. WHAT I DID - picked up power from the park lamp fuse, ran that to a rocker switch i mounted in the factory switch location. with power from that switch i operate a relay to power the lights. btw i belive i ran my wiring through the firewall along side the hood release cable.

Old 01-30-2008, 08:25 PM
10 Year Member

If my Monte isn't pre-wired for the Fog Lights then I'm doing a complete "Independent-job" and coming off the Battery to a Lighting Relay and using an Inline Fuse Holder.
But, I have a sneaking suspicion that my Monte IS Factory Pre-wired. I looked behind the Headlights and I DO have hook-ups (Plug-in's) for the back if the Fof Light Lamps on both sides.

Never-the-less ... it does seem like a good idea to leave the Wiring Harness and BCM right out of the picture if I have to make a sojourn to a Dealership for a Flash Memory Setting or some-such adjustment just to make a pair of 12V Lightbulbs burn.

I'll be taking this one step at a time and sorting everything out after the boxes get here and I unpack and hug the Factory Fog Lights for a little while.

Since I'm getting jaded and cranky in my old age I just can't figure why they'd need to be computer controlled, anyway.
I'm sure there's a very good reason.
They probably hired a Psychic back when they made the 2004 run of production and knew the future of this car landing in my lap ... and just want to make it tough for me to get the lights in and on!!!

Old 01-31-2008, 05:36 AM

Fog lights are over rated anyways. Just for show imoas I have yet to use mine in the two years I have owned my car.

Old 01-31-2008, 05:51 AM

[align=center]
ORIGINAL: LnLSS06

Fog lights are over rated anyways. Just for show imoas I have yet to use mine in the two years I have owned my car.
[/align][align=center]Hi `JR, Maybe you could sell yours to Rick, since aren't using[/align][align=center]yours ? I really think they are a good safety item for all vehicles.[/align][align=center][/align][align=center]Why do you need fog lights?[/align][align=center]Fog lights, or fog lamps, mount below your headlights and provide a wider light dispersion pattern. That means fog lights provide more light down low and to the side of your car, truck, van, or SUV. The end result is better, brighter light in adverse weather conditions without blinding you or other oncoming drivers. Serious drivers know the value of fog lights, which is one of the reasons they're so common on high-end vehicles: Whether you're cruising the Autobahn or Main Street, fog lights improve safety, and that's good for everyone.[/align][align=center][:-][/align][align=center]GM Fog Lights[/align][align=center]Driving through snow, sleet, intense rains, and deep set fogs without fog lights can end up in a dangerous or even severe catastrophe. When driving in such conditions it is crucial to be able to control your vehicles drive so poor visibility would be such a deterrent. What kind of auto lights should answer your needs? It is definitely a fog light is definitely.
[/align]
[align=center][/align][align=center]
GM fog lights are intended to help you avoid accidents caused by visibility problems like those mentioned above. Usually, headlights will reflect off dense fog, producing more of a visibility problem than you already had. Though fog lights are not used most of time, they are very much essential because fog lights emit a specialized beam to cut through the fog, penetrating harsh weather, and enabling you a better and safer field of vision.

Fog light is placed on each side of the vehicle, generally positioned down low on the front bumper. Front fog lights penetrate through rain, fog and snow, compared to the standard headlights which only reflect and produce a white haze in front of our visibility which may cause loss of vision. There are also rear fog lights; they are located at the back part of a vehicle. However, there are certain regulations on the amount of their brightness because they may cause blindness to the vehicles behind you; it is for the reason that these rear fog lights are 30 times brighter than your regular rear lights.
Source Below
http://www.innerauto.com/GM_Parts/GM_Fog_Lights[/align][align=center][/align][align=left]edit by BeachBum[/align][align=left]Space @ class : )[/align]

Quick Reply: Rick's Fog Lights Saga Continues!