Monte Carlo Forum - Monte Carlo Enthusiast Forums

Monte Carlo Forum - Monte Carlo Enthusiast Forums (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/)
-   General Monte Carlo Talk (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/general-monte-carlo-talk-9/)
-   -   Rick's Fog Lights Saga Continues! (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/general-monte-carlo-talk-9/ricks-fog-lights-saga-continues-7684/)

RickCoMatic 01-30-2008 02:47 PM

Rick's Fog Lights Saga Continues!

Went to Chevy today to see if there was anything they had as far as an instructional sheet or directions to install the Fog Lights I got coming from the "Salvage Business" in Georgia. They got nothing the Parts Guy tells me. He gives me a printout of the Switch and Relay needed to fire those babies up when I get them installed.
He also tells me to have a chat with a Service Writer who might know what needs to be done to get the Fog Lights hooked-up and coming-on with electricity from the wiring harness.

1. The don't know and would have to look to see if the Wiring Harness on my Monte is pre-wired for Fog Lights. I think it is. I think the Plug-in's are right on the Harness, right where the Fog Lights should go.

2. I need the Switch, Relay. Understood. I'll buy a Relay and put it in the Fuse Panel where I know it goes because the Fuse Panel is marked with a dotted line indicating that the Relay belongs there and there isn't one at the moment.

3. Curve Ball. He also tells me that the Monte's computer needs to be Programmed for the addition of the two lights. "Bodywork Control Module" ... I don't see a Bodywork Control Module listed in the Owners Manual. Why would a computer need to know that there is additional lights to come on. I thought this would be a simple matter of installing the component parts and completing the Circuit and they'd just work.

Is there such a Control Module? Where is it? Or, am I still typing with my wool hat pulled down over my eyes and think that the Monte is going to have to make a visit to the Service Department for a Computer Module rewrite?

Does anybody know for sure. I didn't see anything when I searched for it on line.

I'll appreciate the responses from the Forum Members that have the lights and know what the scoop really is.

Thanks,
Rick

kweef 01-30-2008 02:51 PM

RE: Rick's Fog Lights Saga Continues!

this just seems to b a never ending problem for u

couch 01-30-2008 04:43 PM

i'll ask at work tommorow dude. i'm pretty sure the shop foreman has fog lights on his monte.

LnLSS06 01-30-2008 05:21 PM

The module disables the Fogs when you switch your highbeams on, among other things.

RickCoMatic 01-30-2008 05:45 PM

Thanks for all the replies.
I'm sure I have a handle on this project. I think its going to be easier than replacing the Spark Plugs.
My guess is that this adventure in Monte Carlo upgrading is going to be all: "Plug-in and Play"
The Wiring Harness has a pair of Connector Ends right on the Harness below the Headlights. One each for the Fog Lights (I'm fairly certain. What else would they be for?)
The Engine Compartment Relay Block has a vacant space for the Relay. Plug-in Relay. (Ordered with correct Part Number along with Stock Switch from GM Parts Direct)
On the Turn Signal Stalk Wiring Pigtail extending down to the Main Connection, there is a Plug-in Connection. I'm guessing that's going to be Plugged-in to my New Switch. The Fog Light Switch is the only thing missing from the Monte, at the moment, but I got one coming.
Fuse Panel spot for Fusing the Fog Lights is empty. I'll look-up the Amperage for thaht Fuse and Plug one in.
That, after getting the Lights mounted, plugged-in, relayed, switched and fused ought to do the trick.
I DO have a handle on this project.
I'm further along than I was with nothing coming and just the louvered covers haunting me.
I'm going to do this and they are going to work.
I give you all my word on that!

RocknSS04 01-30-2008 06:42 PM

[:@]I for got about that[:@]. It's under the carpet under the drivers seat[:@]. The light switchs tell the computer what you want to do, but the BCM is what controls ALL the lights[:@]. I would suggest that you run a new wire and relay and just bypass the computer. You should still be able to use the factory switch to do this[:'(].
In my '01 SS LE, I had problems with lights flickering upon startup[:@]. It was the BCM[:@][:@][:@]

2000LS 01-30-2008 07:55 PM

https://montecarloforum.com/m_64836/tm.htm

the factory switch is a momentary signal switch to the bcm which controls factory fog lights. there is a pigtail inside of your dash for the factory fog light switch. i do NOT know if that wiring connects to the bcm. i do NOT know if a bcm in a car not originally equiped with fog lights could control fog lights. i do NOT know, but seriously doubt that there are output wires for foglights leaving the bcm. i do know that there are NOT pigtails/connectors or any wiring for foglights in the bumper/front lighting wiring harness. WHAT I DID - picked up power from the park lamp fuse, ran that to a rocker switch i mounted in the factory switch location. with power from that switch i operate a relay to power the lights. btw i belive i ran my wiring through the firewall along side the hood release cable.

RickCoMatic 01-30-2008 08:25 PM

If my Monte isn't pre-wired for the Fog Lights then I'm doing a complete "Independent-job" and coming off the Battery to a Lighting Relay and using an Inline Fuse Holder.
But, I have a sneaking suspicion that my Monte IS Factory Pre-wired. I looked behind the Headlights and I DO have hook-ups (Plug-in's) for the back if the Fof Light Lamps on both sides.

Never-the-less ... it does seem like a good idea to leave the Wiring Harness and BCM right out of the picture if I have to make a sojourn to a Dealership for a Flash Memory Setting or some-such adjustment just to make a pair of 12V Lightbulbs burn.

I'll be taking this one step at a time and sorting everything out after the boxes get here and I unpack and hug the Factory Fog Lights for a little while.

Since I'm getting jaded and cranky in my old age I just can't figure why they'd need to be computer controlled, anyway.
I'm sure there's a very good reason.
They probably hired a Psychic back when they made the 2004 run of production and knew the future of this car landing in my lap ... and just want to make it tough for me to get the lights in and on!!!

LnLSS06 01-31-2008 05:36 AM

Fog lights are over rated anyways. Just for show imoas I have yet to use mine in the two years I have owned my car.

BeachBumMike 01-31-2008 05:51 AM

[align=center]

ORIGINAL: LnLSS06

Fog lights are over rated anyways. Just for show imoas I have yet to use mine in the two years I have owned my car.
[/align][align=center]Hi `JR, Maybe you could sell yours to Rick, since aren't using[/align][align=center]yours ? I really think they are a good safety item for all vehicles.[/align][align=center][/align][align=center]Why do you need fog lights?[/align][align=center]Fog lights, or fog lamps, mount below your headlights and provide a wider light dispersion pattern. That means fog lights provide more light down low and to the side of your car, truck, van, or SUV. The end result is better, brighter light in adverse weather conditions without blinding you or other oncoming drivers. Serious drivers know the value of fog lights, which is one of the reasons they're so common on high-end vehicles: Whether you're cruising the Autobahn or Main Street, fog lights improve safety, and that's good for everyone.[/align][align=center][:-][/align][align=center]GM Fog Lights[/align][align=center]Driving through snow, sleet, intense rains, and deep set fogs without fog lights can end up in a dangerous or even severe catastrophe. When driving in such conditions it is crucial to be able to control your vehicles drive so poor visibility would be such a deterrent. What kind of auto lights should answer your needs? It is definitely a fog light is definitely.
[/align]
[align=center]http://www.innerauto.com/includes/im...Fog_Lights.jpg[/align][align=center]
GM fog lights are intended to help you avoid accidents caused by visibility problems like those mentioned above. Usually, headlights will reflect off dense fog, producing more of a visibility problem than you already had. Though fog lights are not used most of time, they are very much essential because fog lights emit a specialized beam to cut through the fog, penetrating harsh weather, and enabling you a better and safer field of vision.

http://www.innerauto.com/includes/im...og_Lights2.jpgFog light is placed on each side of the vehicle, generally positioned down low on the front bumper. Front fog lights penetrate through rain, fog and snow, compared to the standard headlights which only reflect and produce a white haze in front of our visibility which may cause loss of vision. There are also rear fog lights; they are located at the back part of a vehicle. However, there are certain regulations on the amount of their brightness because they may cause blindness to the vehicles behind you; it is for the reason that these rear fog lights are 30 times brighter than your regular rear lights.
Source Below
http://www.innerauto.com/GM_Parts/GM_Fog_Lights[/align][align=center][/align][align=left]edit by BeachBum[/align][align=left]Space @ class : )[/align]

LnLSS06 01-31-2008 10:33 AM

Lol @ Space. Then there would two big holes in the front of my beautiful car. I just have not encountered any fog to ever need to turn them on.

RickCoMatic 01-31-2008 11:01 AM

To me ... my Monte is like a nice, clean, white dress shirt with French cuffs.

I have the holes in the cuffs for Cuff Links. Let's get them in there.

Update: I spoke to the Lead Tech at Commonwealth Chevy of Lawrence, Massachusetts ... this morning. My Monte is wired for the lights and it a "Plug and Play Deal"! No need to go in and get the BCM Tweaked. It will detect the lights and they'll work without the Novenas, Cyber-tweak, Witchdoctor or jury-rigging. Good news from the guy whose Monte will be "Complete" quite soon.

I ordered a pair of red, vinyl Chevy Bow Ties that will compliment the Monte Carlo graphics on my side panels. Insteas of Monte Carlo SS (which I salivate thinking about) ... It wil be Monte Carlo Red Bow Tie.
Once I get rid of the sissy tires that are on this thing ... it's going to have a more threatening look than the miniature-Hearse-look it gets with the vinyl top!

rj 01-31-2008 11:07 AM

Three of my cars currently have them. And two previous cars had them. I happen to like them and yes you can see a noticable difference in lighting when they are not on.

Rick,
Good news your Monte is pre-wired for the lights. Good deal there. [sm=smiley20.gif]

BeachBumMike 01-31-2008 12:06 PM

Lol @ Space. Then there would two big holes in the front of my beautiful car. I just have not encountered any fog to ever need to turn them on.
JR, you could take out your fog's and sell them to Rick, and
then fabricate a Ram Air tubing to your intake : )
You could even increase the size of the fog light area,
and use a customJet type opening....
Increase HP by 10% + or more : )
Then you could patent `it and sell to other Monte Carlo Owner : )
and be Rich : )
WoW, I do dream a lot...
Thanks 4 your post...
*Rick, I hope you find some lights : )
Peace/Out/Space

LnLSS06 01-31-2008 12:12 PM

rj dont tell me your one of those types that run around at night with your fogs on even in good weather? Any time I see one of them I just laugh my arse of. Even better is when one of them is blown out :p

BeachBumMike 01-31-2008 12:20 PM

[align=center]JR...LOL ~ LOL[/align][align=center]You would have laughed your arse `off @ me[/align][align=center]when I had my LT3.[/align][align=center]I used mine all the time...night & day.[/align][align=center]But, everyone says that `Space is always[/align][align=center]in a `fog : ) :D4-Sure : )[/align][align=center]I think it makes your car morevisible, & safer for[/align][align=center]other drivers to see you, especially the ones[/align][align=center]that pull right out in front of you &[/align][align=center]then go 20 MPH under the speed limit [:@][/align][align=center][/align]

rj 02-01-2008 05:54 PM

I didn't used to but I use them all the time now.

FlynhghR 02-02-2008 07:37 PM

I use mine constantly as well. During the day I turn on the fogs, and turn on my parking lights. I really think the car looks aggressive like that. Then night I have em on, except the car automatically turns them off when the highs are on, because it runs both highs and lows at the same time.

I have the stock bulbs, because I like the white look. I don't notice much difference in fog with them on or off, yes there is some improvement, but not much.

RickCoMatic 02-02-2008 07:46 PM

It's that "Aggressive Look" I'm going for; too.
Although, I want to see what they can be re-lamped too and how MUCH light I can get out of them without damaging anything.
If push comes to shove ... I'm going to do my own wiring so that I can have them come on with the High Beams.

A little Switch action.
A little Relay action.
A little splice and a diode or two ...
And, I ought to be able to run them On or Off with Highs or Lows or just leave them off.

All depends how creative I can get and how soon Spring arrives so I can work outside and not freeze my you-know-what's off!

LnLSS06 02-03-2008 07:04 AM

LoL @ the aggressive

BeachBumMike 02-03-2008 07:47 AM

[align=center]

LoL @ the aggressive

[/align][align=center]:eek:[/align][align=center]LOL ~ LOL `JR, yes we are making posts, justto make you LOL : )[/align][align=center][:-][/align][align=center]Main Entry: agĀ·gresĀ·sive

Function: adjective
Pronunciation: &-'gre-siv[/i]
1 a : tending toward or exhibiting aggression <aggressive behavior[/i]>[/i] [/i]b : marked by combative readiness <an aggressive fighter[/i]>[/i] [/i]
2 a : marked by obtrusive energy[/i] [/i]b : marked by driving forceful energy : Like driving a Monte Carlo with your Fog lights `on.[/align][align=center]Now, that's AGGRESSIVE...[/align][align=center]Because if you see me behind you, you better move outa my way :D[/align][align=center]:D :) :D[/align][align=center]Are you ?[/align][align=center][:-][/align][align=center]Main Entry: passive-aggressive
Function:
adjective
: being, marked by, or displaying behavior characterized by expression of negative feelings, resentment, and aggression in an unassertive passive way (as through procrastination and stubbornness: &[/align][align=center]refusing to turn on your fog lights ? LOL ~ LOL[/i]
LOL ~ LOL[/align][align=center]I knowthere was really heavy `fog this morning when I got[/align][align=center]off work...I wish my skateboard had fogs : )[/align][align=center]2 each their own, but I like cars runn'in with their fog's on,[/align][align=center]especially on the Awesome Monte Carlo : )[/align][align=center]Peace/Out & I hope we can make more posts to get some laughs,[/align][align=center]for I rather laugh :Dthen `cry [X(]

[/align]

LnLSS06 02-03-2008 12:07 PM

I don't need fogs/stripes/decals or anything on my Monte to look aggressive. When I pull up on someone they know it is aggressive without any of the add-ons. [/align][/align]Why change perfection? [/align][/align]If they were meant to be on then they would be on without havingtotoggle a switch. They are there to aid in adverse conditions and that's it. When it rains you turn on your lights andwipers.[/align][/align]When I see cars running with their fogs on outside of these conditions I don't think aggression I think "What a joke" Some state well I can see better at night with them on well then I think you should have you headlights checked or you eye examined because fogs are just annoying to other drivers in clear conditions. [/align][/align]Your say yourthinking of your own safety? What about those around you that you blind because you just think you want to look more aggressive? A lot of fogs are after market and are aimed to high.

This editorial is in no way a representation of this station or its affiliates
[/align]

RickCoMatic 02-03-2008 12:39 PM

When I come down the road, at night, I want all the light I can pour out of the front of the Monte. I want to look like a scene from "Close Encounters Of The Third Kind". Hopefully, after an adjustment period of being wired "Stock" ... I can have a couple of buttons to push that will fire-up my Fog Lights and have them flash to warn slowpokes to stay out of the passing lane unless they are passing like I am trying to do to them. Nothing that would be confused with Cop flashing lights ... more a European flashing to clear the road ahead of Road Hogs who won't pull over and let anybody get by. For those drivers that let traffic stack-up behind them; I'll pretend they are Death Rays or Laser Weapons and destroy them, clearing the way for those who are more swift and heavy footed with 60-degree V-6 power, Cruise Control, Fog Lights and new stickers!

BeachBumMike 02-03-2008 01:54 PM

[align=center]Member LnLSS06[/align][align=center]JR, that's a very aggressive post you made LOL ~ LOL.[/align][align=center][/align][align=center]We will have to agree to dis-agree.[/align][align=center]I just know that with some of the elderly drivers pulling right[/align][align=center]out in front of you..: ([/align][align=center]http://www.gifs.net/Animation11/Tran...ps_flash_3.gif[/align][align=center]I want to do everything I can do so they can see me : )[/align][align=center][/align][align=center]My fogs (set by factory), & were aim'ed low & not in the eyes[/align][align=center]of on-coming traffic...[/align][align=center]http://www.gifs.net/Animation11/Comp...ot_light_2.gif[/align][align=center]Watch `Out, Here comes `Space, and he has his[/align][align=center]aggressive eye blinding Fog Lights on...:DLOL[/align][align=center]http://www.gifs.net/Animation11/Tran...ps_flash_2.gif[/align][align=center]:eek:[/align][align=center]My next Mod + Bumper Sticker's[/align][align=center][/align][align=center]Disclaimer: This post was influenced by the BeachRiver`Bum's : )[/align][align=center]Peace/Out/`Space[/align][align=center][/align][align=center]Sorry, We were suppose 2 be painting apt's 2day, but the[/align][align=center]owner didn't show up with the paint : ([/align][align=center]So, I'm here bugg'in the member's : )[/align]

RickCoMatic 02-03-2008 03:28 PM

Space:

You are just too creative. I don't know where you get all your art work ... but, I wish I could do it too.
As a matter of fact ... I wish I had the savvy to just post a photograph of my ride so I could ask Black Attack to make me a signature like the other great ones!

RickCoMatic 02-03-2008 04:20 PM

I'll be getting a close-up look at how the Fog Lights mount, soon. While we were just outside walking the Westie, we saw a 2004 Black Monte SS in the street outside my neighbor's house. Come to find-out ... it's her Mother's Monte. Her mother has a SS! The mother tells me she thinks its better than a Caddie and she loves the ride. I asked i f I could take a close look at how the Fog Lights get mounted and she says YES!

So, that mystery will be solved and I'll be able to mount my aggressive lighting instruments without the guess-work. Good. I got a notice from FedEx Tracking that my Switch and Relay are shipped. Good. The Lights, themselves, have not arrived yet ... not good.

It's SuperBowl Sunday and I'm a Pat's Fan. Good.
Let's GO Pat's.
I wish I could flash my aggressive lights for them ... but, it's not time yet.

Pats: 30 Giants: 15 (Let's see how close I get!)

rj 02-03-2008 05:39 PM

When I see cars running with their fogs on outside of these conditions I don't think aggression I think "What a joke" Some state well I can see better at night with them on well then I think you should have you headlights checked or you eye examined because fogs are just annoying to other drivers in clear conditions.

So you think I'm in the wrongwhen I come down the road with my normal 80 watt bulbs and here comes a pick up which already has it's headlights right square in my field of vision with their silver star bulbs in their fog light position?

What are those purple-ish looking lights some drivers use now? Cause an SUV came at me last night with them not only as headlight bulbs but also as their fog lights. I all but ran off the road trying to drive past this #$^&*& SOB!!

I for one would get these bulbs outlawed if I could.

LnLSS06 02-04-2008 08:27 AM

You are correct both the pickup and the SUV are in the wrong as you state but yet you want to join thier ranks?

rj 02-04-2008 11:44 AM

Still, it won't stop them or other drivers from using these bulbs.

I'd just like to return the favor. Know what I mean?

PS.2 wrongs do not make 1 right.
2 wrongs make1 left.

RickCoMatic 02-04-2008 11:23 PM

I got the box and unpacked the lights. No big deal getting them to go in the car. One anchor screw does the job. I went looking for the wires to hook them up and didn't find pigs with the light bulb ends anywhere ... so I'm doing the Hard Wire Route. Running my own wiring for the whole deal.

I'm just going to do a little bit at a time and get it done nice.
I'll mount them through the hole already drilled in the bumper cavity with a Stainless Machine Screw and a hard nylon washer.

One Machine screw is all the fastening you get with the mount. It's a triangular frame that braces itself on the bottom with locating tabs and the top screws to the bumper where the light protrudes through where the space-saving louvers are. There's a U-cut to access the Up/Dn aiming Torx screw.
That's about it!

FlynhghR 02-05-2008 01:16 AM

I don't need fogs/stripes/decals or anything on my Monte to look aggressive. When I pull up on someone they know it is aggressive without any of the add-ons. [/align][/align]Why change perfection? [/align][/align]If they were meant to be on then they would be on without havingtotoggle a switch. They are there to aid in adverse conditions and that's it. When it rains you turn on your lights andwipers.[/align][/align]When I see cars running with their fogs on outside of these conditions I don't think aggression I think "What a joke" Some state well I can see better at night with them on well then I think you should have you headlights checked or you eye examined because fogs are just annoying to other drivers in clear conditions. [/align][/align]Your say yourthinking of your own safety? What about those around you that you blind because you just think you want to look more aggressive? A lot of fogs are after market and are aimed to high.

This editorial is in no way a representation of this station or its affiliates
[/align]

Well, I'm sorry you feel that way, but why wouldn't you want to be able to see better? A Car with the fogs on sticks out more, so ppl can see you. My fogs are not so much fogs as they are Driving Lights. In other words they do a good job of really highlighting anything in my path that's not level with the road.

If you're to busy bi!ching about someone with their fog lights on to notice the roofing nail in the road than so be-it, hope you can afford the new tire. Myself, with the driving lights on can see gravel in the roadway that other driver's just run rightover. Next time the car in front of you lobs a good rock your way don't cuss at the luck, think, gee, if they only had driving lights maybe I wouldn't be filling in that rock chip this weekend...

The more ppl can see me, and the more I notice about the road I'm driving on the safer I feel. To drive on only annoyed by someone else that's more visible... well that's just ignorant.

Now, save the flame cause I'm not saying it's not annoying when someone doesn't turn off their brights, or has the mis-aligned lights, but I don't do that. I make it a point to bright the person with the off-road only lights that blind everyone. Maybe they'll take the hint?

Oh, and Rick, glad to hear the lights were an easy install. Hope the wiring is non-problematic as well, even without the proper plugs.

rj 02-06-2008 12:08 PM

Rick,

You almost sound somewhat disappointed in the lights?

RickCoMatic 02-06-2008 04:31 PM

No. I'm not disappointed. I'm just frustrated. I put the Right and Left side light in the car today. Piece O Cake. They come with a Tripod-like mount and you just put the lower two "Legs" over locating tabs and stick a fastener through the pre-drilled hole in the bumper tunnel and they're in.

I was hoping that they were going to be Plug-in-and-play. Nope. I have to do all my own wiring for them. There's no Pigtail with a connector on the Non-lighted Factory roll-out. Although there IS a place for a Relay and a Fuse ... the Wiring Harness isn't set-up for running the Fog Lights -- stock. That's OK. I'll have some fun wiring them up my way. I just need to have the weather cooperate because I need to do it with some encouraging sunshine warming my aching back and knees.

She looks cool with the Lights in the holes and the lenses occupying the space where those fake-azz louvers were, earlier today. I jumpered them off a motorcycle battery and they both light. I aimed them up of the floor a little bit.

I'm going to custom wire them to a pair of Relays and a Double-throw / Center-off Switch that I'll put inn a vacant space on my dash just to the right of my Light Switch.
I'm going to have them so they'll remote off either the Low Beams or High Beams (selectable) or just be off with the Switch centered.

It means doing a good bit of wiring and relay placement and tapping off the headlights to close the relays when the switch selects them on. Should take a couple of hours of wiring and installing the relays. I want to be doing that job while getting a sunburn ... not frostbite!

The Fog Light Assembly's are in.
The Gopher saw his shadow, got scared and there's six weeks of crappy weather to deal with.
I'll get Phase Two and Three done when the Swallows come back Up-north from Capiztrano!

rj 02-06-2008 05:24 PM

You know we need pics right?

[sm=icon_cheers.gif]

RickCoMatic 02-06-2008 09:59 PM

OK. I can try to do some pics! But, we have to wait 'til sun-up. If I'm pulling that headlight and sticking a camera in there; I'm waiting for some good light and no freezing rain.
I'm just slightly ahead of the game, right now. I have Factory Lenses in where the bogus-looking louvers were, early this afternoon. For me, getting the pair of glove-fitting lights in there was half of it.
Getting them to come-on, now will be a bit of a challenge.
Working to keep the wiring off the Monte's Bodywork Control Module is going to take some time and expense.
But, it's in the works.
I'll do the pics so you guys can see what these lights look like from the inside. But, mounting them is something you can do just about blind-folded. They literally fall into place. You couldn't mess-up installing them if you wanted too. It really was that easy. I wish everything you need to do on the 04 Monte was as easy as that!

rj 02-07-2008 12:33 PM

Don't forget.... we want to see the car with the lights installed.
[sm=smiley20.gif]

RickCoMatic 02-07-2008 04:25 PM

Pics with the lights installed.

http://web.mac.com/richardemassey/iW...hotos%203.html