General Monte Carlo Talk Talk about the Monte Carlo. Does not have to be your Monte. Can include pics and games.

Reasons for poor gas mileage?

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2010, 01:20 AM

The dealership quoted me 150$ for plugs and 75$ for the fuel filter both prices including labor. Not ready to make an appointment yet.. but do these prices sound fair?
No, not at all.

I looked up some of those parts- from Autozone, an Autolite double platinum plug runs $4 each (so $24 for all 6). A set of Bosch replacement plug wires runs $29 with a lifetime warranty, and a fuel filter runs $10.

Even if you don't have any tools at all- all you really 'need' is a 3/8" ratchet, spark plug socket, a few short extensions, and maybe a U joint. Then for the fuel filter- need a wrench and to disconnect the push fitting. So even if you had to buy all the tools too- you could get cheapo stuff, and get everything for under $30 (although you can rent from Autozone). You could use the stock spare tire jack to get to the fuel filter, or you could even buy a jack and jackstand set and still come out way under what they charge.

Most of what they're charging you for is labor- and at $60 an hour or whatever retarded rate they charge- even a single hour labor is steep.

You can do an air filter yourself too- that can't run more than maybe $10-15 either, and its just a couple of quick snaps.

Old 04-16-2010, 01:29 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

The plugs/wires I'm a little concerned about doing myself, if I'm not mistaken everything needs to be positioned a certain way and if it's off a little bit it can screw everything up?

The fuel filter I'm sure I can do myself, my dad has plenty of tools and one of those nice jacks.

I replaced the air filter yesterday, was a devil to get in.

But if I'm going to do this myself I think I would want to upgrade, not just replace my plugs and wires.

Old 04-16-2010, 02:40 PM

The plugs/wires I'm a little concerned about doing myself, if I'm not mistaken everything needs to be positioned a certain way and if it's off a little bit it can screw everything up?
Incorrect- you're thinking about a distributor cap. Ours is real simple- wire goes from the coil pack to the cylinder- so you just do the wires and plugs 1 at a time and you won't get anything mixed up (the coil packs are even numbered so you know which goes where if you goof it up). The plugs are real easy- unscrew the old, screw in the new. Doesn't get any easier than that.

But if I'm going to do this myself I think I would want to upgrade, not just replace my plugs and wires.
There are no plug or wire upgrades, especially on an NA car. Get OEM or OEM replacement stuff, and leave it. Stock plugs and wires are good for 100k miles- so if you do normal replacement stuff, they'll last as long as the rest of the car will.

Old 04-22-2010, 01:00 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Well I pretty much used my entire tank to figure out exactly what's going on.

Here's the stats:
271.6 miles traveled
12.9 Gallons of gas

Which comes out to an average of 21mpg

So I guess I'm in the ballpark of where I'm supposed to be.

Old 04-23-2010, 04:49 PM

I've tuned up my 2004 SS Dale Jr car which included new plugs, wires, pcv valve, fuel filter, and air filter and my gas mileage is only about 23mpg on the highway. This car is supercharged but I don't drive it hard. I'm kind of disappointed in the gas mileage as I have read how people are getting close to 30mpg on the highway.

Wayne

Old 04-23-2010, 06:17 PM

I have about 50psi in my tires. that's about 5 more than what the tire says, but my handling is fine.

i'm getting roughly 28mpg and mine's stock as a rock (minus synthetic oil)

Old 04-23-2010, 06:21 PM

In my '03 SS if I really babied it and had a fairly flat road I could get up to 34MPG, completely stock, that was driving 65-70MPH on cruise, and pushing the coast button every time I hit a hill. I drove 240 miles and still had half a tank left, I was very impressed with the L36's mileage, still hoping the L67 will do just as well.

Old 04-23-2010, 07:00 PM

I have about 50psi in my tires. that's about 5 more than what the tire says, but my handling is fine.
lol, wait- what? Not only are you WAY over the car's spec- but also exceeding the tire's recommended limit? That's a terrible idea...

Sure you may get a little better gas mileage through less contact patch (because the tires will bow out more in the center)- but is it worth worse handling, worse acceleration, worse braking, and tires that wear out faster? Not to mention possibly having a blowout due to over inflated tires?

Old 04-24-2010, 08:59 AM

Originally Posted by jimbo7

i'm getting roughly 28mpg and mine's stock as a rock (minus synthetic oil)
Originally Posted by bumpin96monte
lol, wait- what? Not only are you WAY over the car's spec- but also exceeding the tire's recommended limit? That's a terrible idea...

Sure you may get a little better gas mileage through less contact patch (because the tires will bow out more in the center)- but is it worth worse handling, worse acceleration, worse braking, and tires that wear out faster? Not to mention possibly having a blowout due to over inflated tires?
^ this.

I really wouldn't recommend you run over the tire's suggested maximum pressure. That's asking for serious trouble. Those limits are there for a very specific reason.

Old 04-24-2010, 09:01 AM

Does anyone else see a bit of the 94-97 Mustang in that 2000 MCSS picture above? I saw a glimpse of that older Mustang...weird.

Quick Reply: Reasons for poor gas mileage?