General Monte Carlo Talk Talk about the Monte Carlo. Does not have to be your Monte. Can include pics and games.

7th Gen ('06-'07): Rear Wheel Drive conversion

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2012, 01:20 PM
STILL SLOW
Monte Of The Month -- May 2010
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Old 04-28-2012, 04:43 PM
3 Year Member1 Year Member

He had a video posted in youtube, in the comments he mentioned swapping in an fbody front suspension when someone asked him a question.

I can see where it could make the engine mounting simpler if he did the whole K frame. But idk, I would think if were going to do something suspension wise may as well use the corvette front suspension as well, the widths on the monte and corvette are quite similar, so I could see that working.

I've looked at both of those Brock
You are right though, something like that would be ideal if I could find one at the right price when it comes time, if not I could also acquire the parts seperately, but it would be convenient to get the rear end, rear suspension, drive line and motor all in one go, and the front suspension if I were to do that.

The first one has an LS2 with like 37k miles on it, would be perfect.

Old 12-23-2015, 10:05 PM

Originally Posted by DuSSt
First off, this project actually happening is a long ways off, as it will take some savings, and time to acquire parts and actually do the work.

However, I have decided that I will convert my '06 Monte Carlo SS to rear wheel drive. I've done some looking into it, but want to get some opinions and ideas on things, and perhaps glean some more information from members more knowledgeable than I.

From what I have gathered, the LS4 is basically out, due to the starter being inline with the tranny. So, I've narrowed it down to either the LS2 or LS3. Both of which are similar in price range, and could put forth reasonably the same horsepower numbers. Any input on to which of these I should use, or perhaps another motor? I do plan to eventually turbo, or twin turbo whichever motor I put in, preceded by a cam, springs, and roller rockers at the minimum.

For the transmission I was thinking a TR6060. This is basically the updated version of the T56, however I'm not sure if this would need to be built at all to take the horsepower I eventually want to push.

The suspension parts, and electronics changes that would be required are probably my biggest concern//area where I'm lacking a good base on what would work, and or need done.

I know that Camaro parts were used on the 2000 monte that a member has here which was converted to rwd using an ls1. Anyone know if perhaps 5th Gen Camaro rear suspension parts would work on this project? Or another source I haven't considered?

I realize this will be a costly project, and will take a ton of time, however I want my monte to be unique, and this will also placate my want of an older muscle car as well

Any thoughts or input on everything would be greatly appreciated. As I've said it will take time to save up the funds, and start the process, but that will allow me to do all my homework before diving in.
Did you actually completed the conversion? Just curious cause I am also trying to do a conversion?