General Monte Carlo Talk Talk about the Monte Carlo. Does not have to be your Monte. Can include pics and games.

Rear license plate mounting nuts

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2011, 07:05 PM
3 Year Member1 Year Member

Last edited by jasonsmith; 03-21-2015 at 07:17 PM.
Old 11-07-2011, 07:32 PM
Monte Of The Month -- November 2012
Monte Of The Month -- August 2015
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

They have to be available somewhere. I replaced the originals on my 03 Monte, but that was at least three years ago and I can't remember exactly where I got mine. I swear I just picked them up at one of the local auto part stores.

Old 11-07-2011, 07:48 PM
10 Year Member

Originally Posted by jasonsmith
I've tried the ones from Autozone and from the dealer. They are too small. They don't pop in the square hole. If you try and put a screw in the nut, the nut just spins in the hole as the hole is too big.

The dealer had no idea what is going on as they have some they always use. But they're too small. I'd hate to have to go to the junk yard.
Yeah I know exactly what you're talking about. That's odd that you can't find them and that the dealership is no help. I really think I bought mine at Murray's Discount Auto, but that was before they turned into Crap'Reilly's.

Old 11-07-2011, 07:55 PM

Monte Of The Month -- September 2011
2011 Monte Of The Year

mine were missing too! haha
go to autozone and buy urself a new license plate cover. i bought one and it came with the frame, the cover, the mounting nuts that fit perfect, and 2 sets of allen head bolts and the key, plus bolt covers. i love it and it looks great!
heres the link and a pic of it on my car

>>> Cruiser Accessories/Black frame and polycarbonate clear shield licenses plate ultimate tuf combo with hardware (62510) | License Plate Frame and Cover Kit | AutoZone.com <<<

Old 11-07-2011, 08:02 PM

2011 Monte Of The Year

I bought one like that which had everything. The mounting nuts were too small. So I bought a spare package of mounting nuts, again too small. So, I got some mounting nuts from the dealer, and they too were too small. Went to another parts store that had mounting nuts that were bigger, but they were still too small.

Looks like the square hole in the bumper is just too big. It is 1/2" wide, which is bigger than all the mounting nuts I looked at in the parts store. I may just see if I can find an Impala or Monte Carlo at the junk yard and pull the mounting nuts from them just to see if that works.
they fit perfect in mine good luck though man

Old 11-08-2011, 07:02 AM
10 Year Member

Yeah I'm stumped on this. I know those holes are 1/2" square. Hope you can find a set of those that fit.

Old 11-08-2011, 11:45 AM

2011 Monte Of The Year

Is there any special way to install them? I assume they are supposed to snap in the square hole and lock into place. Then you put the screw in?
Umm that's the way it's supposed to be lol

Old 11-08-2011, 11:47 AM

Originally Posted by 03limitedss
Umm that's the way it's supposed to be lol
Haha. I thought so. Wanted to make sure I wasn't doing something wrong.

Old 11-08-2011, 11:54 AM
10 Year Member

Is there any special way to install them? I assume they are supposed to snap in the square hole and lock into place. Then you put the screw in?
Yeah, nothing special. That's how it's suppose to work. The plastic nuts just push and lock snug into the holes and the screw threads into them to hold the plate. When they lock in correctly, the plastic nuts shouldn't be loose in the holes at all, and you shouldn't be able to take them out with just your fingers. They're a pain in the butt to get out.

Old 01-13-2012, 03:03 PM

I had the GM dealer look at it. They tried installing their mounting nuts, which didn't work as they were too small. Then they came back out later on and told me there aren't any screws for the lower part of the plate. Only 2 screws at the top of the plate.

Kind of strange how there are these 1/2" square holes in the bumper lined up just right with the lower holes on the plate.

Quick Reply: Rear license plate mounting nuts