General Monte Carlo Talk Talk about the Monte Carlo. Does not have to be your Monte. Can include pics and games.

random question on the 3.4l dohc

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2012, 05:38 PM
Default random question on the 3.4l dohc

do auto mechanics still rebuild the lq1 or do they even sell parts for it anymore? Ik the engine was made only for 7 years but a lot of ppl love that engine

Old 05-13-2012, 07:48 PM

Most mechanics including myself stay as far away from that engine as possible. Ranks up there with the quad-4.

Old 05-14-2012, 02:34 PM

Monte of the Month -- August 2013
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Originally Posted by sixscarlo
do auto mechanics still rebuild the lq1 or do they even sell parts for it anymore? Ik the engine was made only for 7 years but a lot of ppl love that engine

Yea, I don't know about loving it. Every mechanic I brought my 95 Z34 to said they hated working on that engine. The last guy said "oh no not this peice of $hit" for which I said don't worry about it and went somewhere else.

Ever try changing the spark plugs and wire set? Very big pain.

Old 05-14-2012, 05:11 PM

yes i have tried to get the plugs, i enjoyed working on it actually, the only 2 things that were a PITA was how time consuming it was for me, and then at the last bolt to get to the rear plugs, i didnt have the right socket aaaaaarrrgggghhhhh!!!! other then that i enjoy working on the car lol.

if anything the brakes/tires are giving me more issues.
bolts locked up
cant fit new pads in
studs breaking
studs stripping nuts
lots hub caps
yup big PITA

Old 05-14-2012, 06:54 PM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2009
5 Year Member

Anyone who can rebuild engines can rebuild the LQ1. The bottom end is no different than any other motor. It uses a similar block to the old 2.8 and 3.1 V6 motors. You can have the heads redone too, there isnt much difference between the LQ1 heads and any other DOHC head. The engine itself is a good motor. Its just hard to work on. Most people I hear complain about it seem to just be too lazy to spend the extra time to work on it. Its no less reliable than any other GM V6. The main killer of these motors is poor maintenence. Not changing the timing belt being the biggest. Running it low on oil being another big one.

Old 05-14-2012, 08:16 PM

Originally Posted by mrl390
Anyone who can rebuild engines can rebuild the LQ1. The bottom end is no different than any other motor. It uses a similar block to the old 2.8 and 3.1 V6 motors. You can have the heads redone too, there isnt much difference between the LQ1 heads and any other DOHC head. The engine itself is a good motor. Its just hard to work on. Most people I hear complain about it seem to just be too lazy to spend the extra time to work on it. Its no less reliable than any other GM V6. The main killer of these motors is poor maintenence. Not changing the timing belt being the biggest. Running it low on oil being another big one.
well said, and yes those freakin o rings and gaskets lol. mines are leaking right now i have to change those when i get a chance lol

I absolutely love my lq1 heavy duty reliable if kept up with. powerful, and that growl is just amazing

Old 05-14-2012, 08:39 PM

5 Year Member

Originally Posted by sixscarlo
well said, and yes those freakin o rings and gaskets lol. mines are leaking right now i have to change those when i get a chance lol

I absolutely love my lq1 heavy duty reliable if kept up with. powerful, and that growl is just amazing
Yeah my oil pump drive gasket is starting to go. Will need to do that soon. Its still an ok trade off for not having to drive a mobile BBQ grill. (Sorry 3800 guys lol).

Old 05-14-2012, 10:18 PM

Yeah my oil pump drive gasket is starting to go. Will need to do that soon. Its still an ok trade off for not having to drive a mobile BBQ grill. (Sorry 3800 guys lol).
yes very good trade

Old 05-15-2012, 05:50 PM

The main issues are water pumps and timing belts and the massive amount of crank end play. There is a reason there aren't many 3.4 DOHC 5-speed Grand Prixs left on the road. There was too much end play for the clutch to work correctly.

Old 05-15-2012, 07:17 PM

5 Year Member

Water pumps on the LQ1 arent any more prone to failure than any other GM V6 and are incredibly easy to change. The only issue with the timing belts are when people neglect to change them or dont do the job correctly. And I think the biggest reason there arent many 5 speed LQ1 cars left on the road has more to do with the rarity of the car than problems with the motor. They only made 5 speed luminas and grand prix with the LQ1 from 91-93.

Quick Reply: random question on the 3.4l dohc