General Monte Carlo Talk Talk about the Monte Carlo. Does not have to be your Monte. Can include pics and games.

Questions for 06 Monte & or Impala owners

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2009, 05:28 PM
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default Questions for 06 Monte & or Impala owners

Was wondering your opinion of the 06. Since it's the first production year I am sort of curious of any problems/concerns you may have had... fit and finish, engine, tranny etc.

The reason I am asking is that my mother wants to get rid of here 02 TrailBlazer for an 06 Impala LT... As a matter of fact she's pretty interested in this Impala: http://ps.getauto.com/group/details/...C581169184366/ Just incase the link doesn't work (been haveing troubles with that web site for a few days. It appears to be a fully loaded LT with a 3900, leather, Bose, CD, XM, etc. Has 47,xxx miles and they are asking $12,600.

She asked me because "Well your Monte Carlo is the sister car..." But not to the 06. So any and all input you can give me on your opinion of the 06s and if you think this is a good deal. My uneducated guess is that it seems like a good deal.

Thanks in advance for any and all help!

Old 10-17-2009, 06:18 PM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2007

The '06 isn't a totally new car, just a slight face lift. Still BASICALLY a 6th gen. Most places call it a 6th gen, but some here call it a 7th gen cuz there are enough differences that it appears different. Really isn't, other than the upgrade engine went from a S/C 3.8L to the 5.3L V8. Even the 3.9 is higher HP, and still almost the same engine as the 3.8. It's a WAY better vehicle than the Trailblazer, IMHO.

Old 10-17-2009, 06:23 PM
Monte Of The Month - February 2010
10 Year Member

brian, i have a monte with the 3.9, from what i've heard the 3.9 is somewhat rare in montes, not sure about the impala though. i had my car for about six months and i really like it alot. my biggest issue is the TPMS sensors that are in each valve stem, they never seem to be correct. but since i bought my car with aftermarket wheels that could be one reason for them not being correct. from the pics in the ad it looks like that car has them also? i think your mom will really like the impala if that is what she gets, goodluck, see ya

Old 10-17-2009, 06:38 PM

Originally Posted by RocknSS04
The '06 isn't a totally new car, just a slight face lift. Still BASICALLY a 6th gen. Most places call it a 6th gen, but some here call it a 7th gen cuz there are enough differences that it appears different. Really isn't, other than the upgrade engine went from a S/C 3.8L to the 5.3L V8. Even the 3.9 is higher HP, and still almost the same engine as the 3.8..
That's why I asked here, Not much knowledge on my part and it seems many people here are VERY knowledgeable on not only the Monte but pretty much anything. Thanks for the help!

It's a WAY better vehicle than the Trailblazer, IMHO.
Don't know much about the Impala but I'm pretty sure the same thing. Seemed nice when she got it but little things just add up, along with the whole small, top heavy, short wheel base... you see where I 'm going

Originally Posted by monte carlo 3831
brian, i have a monte with the 3.9, from what i've heard the 3.9 is somewhat rare in montes, not sure about the impala though. i had my car for about six months and i really like it alot. my biggest issue is the TPMS sensors that are in each valve stem, they never seem to be correct. but since i bought my car with aftermarket wheels that could be one reason for them not being correct. from the pics in the ad it looks like that car has them also? i think your mom will really like the impala if that is what she gets, goodluck, see ya
Thanks for the input, nice when somone that owns a vehicle will point out what they don't like/have had problems with other then just giving the glowing reviews! Have noticed all the new bells and whistles: TPMS, auto windshield wipers, auto dimming mirrors, etc have not only made the cars smarter then many of the owners they just give us one more piece of equipment to malfunction. Glad to hear you like your car, will need to contact the dealer and have a closer look at it.

Will let you know if she buys it.

Old 10-17-2009, 06:46 PM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2007

The TPMS system has to be reset frequently, like anytime you touch the thing, and especially when you rotate the tires.

Old 10-17-2009, 07:51 PM

Originally Posted by monte carlo 3831
i have a monte with the 3.9, from what i've heard the 3.9 is somewhat rare in montes, not sure about the impala though.
Hey Chris, I've been searching ever since my last post and it seems that holds up for the Impala too. Seems like 8 or 9 out of 10 come with the 3500. And from what I've seen the price seems to be in line and even maybe a little lower then what I can see on other lots. Looked like a good price for what looks to be a fully loaded car but wasn't really sure how they hold their value. Nice to see they have retained the 5 star front impact scores.

The TPMS system has to be reset frequently, like anytime you touch the thing, and especially when you rotate the tires.
So Wayne, I guess we shouldn't EVEN talk about the TPMS or it might set of Chris'?

Old 10-17-2009, 08:36 PM
Monte Of The Month - February 2010
10 Year Member

brian, it won't set me off.. it just sucks when it got cold recently the dam thing said 25 psi and i checked with a gauge and it was 29 psi on the gauge (digital). so tonight i just bought a nice mechanical gauge from advance for like 6 bucks. and by the way i'm looking at an ad on c-list for a set of wheels and tires for the winter and they don't have the sensors installed, for me to get them installed it would be about $150 for the sensors + the install charge. i'm actually thinking of getting the wheels and tires and not installing the sensors and just monitoring them with a gauge!! i thought that it was cool to have an actual sensor in each wheel and i could see what the pressure was at all times, but now i just think it more of a PITA having them, bells and whistles i thought were cool, but i think they do actually = more things that can go wrong, just like the impala you mom is looking at!!!

Old 10-18-2009, 01:05 AM
STILL SLOW
Monte Of The Month -- May 2010
10 Year Member

And engine wise the 3.9 and 5.4 were both in the Grand prix from 04 and up, so the drivetrain was tested. And the other stuff was just mostly restyled. The rest of the members all have great points!

Old 10-18-2009, 10:00 AM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2009
5 Year Member

The 3.9 is also used in the uplander vans as well so its not THAT rare, it just didnt have a long production run.

Old 10-18-2009, 03:58 PM
Taz

Monte Of The Month -- March 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

I was lead to believe that the 2006 Montes and Impalas don't really share the same body. They simply look similar. Like Wayne said, the 06 & 07 Montes use the 2000-2005 unibody with some slight tweaks. The rest is cosmetic updates that look like the Impala.

If you like, you can also try our sister site ChevroletForum.com

Quick Reply: Questions for 06 Monte & or Impala owners