General Monte Carlo Talk Talk about the Monte Carlo. Does not have to be your Monte. Can include pics and games.

question about SS

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2007, 12:34 AM
Default RE: question about SS

well, best in the world, if you dont count carbon

http://www.f1technical.net/articles/2

Old 01-15-2007, 10:16 AM
Monte Of The Month -- March 2007
5 Year Member

to me the monte carlo looks waaaaaay better than this car, the monte is a more sportier car in my opinion, that looks like a family car. and i've yet to have a grand prix in my town be faster than my monte, even the gtp's aren't usually as quick as mine. i had a guy come in to the store insisting his car was faster, so he took me for a drive in his, then i took him for a drive in mine, and he couldn't believe the difference, he couldn't believe how much he got pushed back into the seat.

as for cross drilled rotors thats no big deal, if you want them go buy em aftermarket made by raybestos and they look good. the only thing with cross drilled rotors is if you live in a northern state or canada then your going to get salt, and when you get salt they rust! and then they look like @$$. even rain will cause this...i've never been a fan of cross drilled rotors. and as for bigger wheels on the back than the front...dont think i'm much of a fan of that either...i would take the monte over the grand prix (any model) any day

Old 01-15-2007, 10:40 AM

I couldn't agree more, and sorry Cain, I have to disagree with you on the cross drilled being better. Look at any picture of any race car on a track or anywhere else, they all have solid rotors....Why? because they simply stop better. More surface area=quicker stopping. Plain and simple. I know many vette owners that have bought high quality drilled/slotted rotors and once they crack, they go back to solid ones. Again, they look pretty, but if you want the best stopping power possible, go with a solid rotor.

Read through the hundreds of examples of how these vanity rotors really do not stand up..
http://www.carforums.net/archive/index.php/t-35320.html

http://www.mazda6tech.com/index.php?...&Itemid=50
This quote taken from the site above

"But what about cross drilled or slotted rotors? Well the common belief in the main stream is that somehow slotted or cross-drilled rotors allow for better performance by handling heat. This is 100 percent false. The individuals involved in such fallacies mention that air through the holes or slots work to cool the rotor (convective heat transfer into the air from the rotor). The issue is that from physics we know that metal transfers heat better then air by a significant amount. As such the larger mass of the rotor becomes more important then the larger surface area of the rotor in any situation other then the optimal. Cross drilling and slotting rotors are not optimal manners of creating metal to air transfer through larger surface areas. There is not much airflow through the holes or slots. Furthermore for cross drilling the holes will fill with brake dust in effect lowering the cooling ability of the rotors vanes they pass through. "

Another site exposing the truth
http://www.rx7club.com/archive/index.php/t-480082.html

I could go on and on all day with the MYTH'S behind these vanity rotors, anyways, the facts are in, so believe what you want!

And besides, I dont want a 4 door family car GXP. I will take my 2 door monte SS anyday! Cain, if you like the GXP so much, WHY on earth didn't you buy one? Please explain?

Jason

Old 01-15-2007, 10:53 AM

not sure i would call willow wood brakes a P.O.S. i had broke two sets of rotors with in a year of season . but at the same time this was a drag car with no chutes. So i know they were taking a beating.
but willow wood stood behind them also.

So sure if you by them form jo blow parts r us . they are nto a good set or good quality sure they are doomed to fail in the git go.

as far as the ones on this Monte (03 ss) they are factory rotors. or at elast Bought threw G.M. so i would think that they would have the same tolernces as the factory set did in the beginning.
over here that is where you have to go to find those tyoe of parts or the net. and if ya need them it is worth the bit extra to get them that day and not have to wait a month to do it.

Old 01-15-2007, 03:21 PM

Hey 06blackss I'm actually going to purchase a GXP in the spring. Getting one because there are a great deal more features I like over an SS. Such as Heads up display, bilstein struts, bigger tires and stiffer suspension. So in regards to your question YES I am going to purchase one.

Old 01-16-2007, 10:14 PM
rj
15 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

How can you compare a track braking system to one ment for road use? Generally they have completely different components.

When was the last time any of us hit the brakes at 200mph on the streets?

Any and all brake parts sources you will find do NOT use brake parts made for the track on the streets. And yes there are performance brake parts for the street as well as 100 different companies out there selling single parts or whole systems to upgrade your car. AS for manufacturing these parts brake parts get bought buy 50 companies who are just the middle man.

Ok, another question worth asking? HOW MANY of you guys get your lug nuts torqued down to the proper specifications? That is the #1 cause of break rotors warping....not heat. Every single time i have my wheels taken off for whatever reason I MAKE SURE they use a torque wrench set to 100 Ft Pounds for our cars. MOST of the repair guys I know/see just use their air gun and hammer the lug nuts on... Who knows what torque they are putting on your wheels.. Years ago when I had my other cars, Beretta Z26, Cavalier Z24 etc etc, I always would get warped rotors and I thought it was from heat. Now, I never have a problem when they are torqued down correctly.

Warped rotors can also come from excess heat and the wrong brake pads. They will also warp from being TOO thin.

I've warpedrotors before due to the material the brake pads were formed from. The carbon metallic pads Auto Zone sells have done it for me more then once. But after I paid to have lift-time replacement brake pads I hate to dispose of them cause they warped yet another rotor. And rotors have come down in price so much you can get a set for less then $50 for some cars now.