Monte Carlo Forum - Monte Carlo Enthusiast Forums

Monte Carlo Forum - Monte Carlo Enthusiast Forums (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/)
-   General Monte Carlo Talk (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/general-monte-carlo-talk-9/)
-   -   Project "Batmobile" (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/general-monte-carlo-talk-9/project-batmobile-25102/)

7801MonteMan 01-05-2011 12:06 AM

What exactly have you heard negative about the L67? I'm not sure what your refering to exactly. Before making your decision do more and more research into the sway and engine options. Which means you will have to read a couple different w-body forums.

Just a few things to know/remember things you will need for the sway would be engine harness, pcm, bigger radiator, amoung other things. But don't let this stop you. Just something to know.

BocaReject 01-05-2011 01:33 AM

i heard that the super charger causes the motor to heat up more and cause problems to the inner workings

i didnt believe it but i just wanna be sure it wont,honestly i think a turbo would be worse

i just wanted to know what you all said

and thats what i started todo,is look at the forums

biggriggs 01-05-2011 01:45 AM

i heard that the super charger causes the motor to heat up more and cause problems to the inner workings
Forced induction (supercharger or turbocharger) is going to cause extra stress on the engine. Any power adder is, that's just how it goes. A properly set up system is going to function just fine though. The 3800 was engineered to be abused, and to last damned near forever. It's not unheard of to see modded L67's going 200k miles on the stock block.

BocaReject 01-05-2011 01:59 AM

thats what i was thinking it would do,i could always get a racing block when if goes on me when i get it right?

biggriggs 01-05-2011 11:06 AM

thats what i was thinking it would do,i could always get a racing block when if goes on me when i get it right?
For a 3800? I wouldn't bother with a racing block. The stock block has been shown to handle over 800 crank horsepower regularly without failure.
The only reason you'd destroy the bottom end on one of those is if you do something stupid (bad tuning, not enough supporting mods, stuff like that) or have some other part fail that causes severe detonation (fuel system failure causing it to go too lean, sucking something into the intake, etc). These stock blocks are so cheap generally that you can buy 3-4 of them for the price of a race block too, so when someone does screw up or has some odd failure they generally just swap it out for a low mileage stock block again.

BocaReject 01-07-2011 08:46 AM

sweet,sounds like the 3.8 is my way to go,now there was a post before i was looking at and it said that the 3.8 supercharged comes with a HD tranny? or if not is their a code i could see on the tranny that would show me its a HD when i go to the yard to get a motor

biggriggs 01-07-2011 01:26 PM

All of the L67's and L32's came with the 4t65E-HD transmission.
There's not much difference from the non-HD though. Primarily a hardened differential is the difference between the two. As far as internal hard parts, they are the same (generally different gearing, but not always).
Otherwise, that transmission was in so many different cars over so many different years that there are a few trans codes for them.

02LS 01-07-2011 02:36 PM

Originally Posted by biggriggs (Post 285767)
All of the L67's and L32's came with the 4t65E-HD transmission.
There's not much difference from the non-HD though. Primarily a hardened differential is the difference between the two. As far as internal hard parts, they are the same (generally different gearing, but not always).
Otherwise, that transmission was in so many different cars over so many different years that there are a few trans codes for them.

there is also an hd conversion kit that is sold to turn the reg tranny to the hd version.

Montess2k 01-07-2011 04:18 PM

My input on the whole thing, probably won't be liked But I'll offer it anyway...

1.) as stated 15.9 isn't fast and you will begin to realize this as you get more and more into racing, not only that but the more you get into the racing scene, you will want to go faster now, not 10 days from now not a month from now....it sounds like you are just looking to "Build" this car to beat your friends civic, but once that happens, what happens when your friend gets an evo, or something similar, then you will realize it wil be harder to go faster after you sink your money into the car for stated mods.

2.) The 3400 scene for performance parts is lackluster at best...the last thing you want to do is buy a bunch of performance parts new at top dollar, either have the car break, or you get tired of hitting a "glass ceiling" and not being able to go faster, then if you demod the car, you will see you will not be able to sell the parts at all...and certainly not at a good price...3800 and 3800sc parts probably have more of a following and would be easier to sell if that road comes...something to consider.

3.) I hate to break it to you but I doubt the 3400 or even the 3800 scene will grow much from new companies performance wise...I doubt there will be any breakthrough companies making new products...same could probably be said for the LS4..perhaps even more so then the v6 lineup....most performance people and companies have moved onto LS1/LS2/ LS3 and so on engines now that those engines are more available in more affordable RWD cars such as the GTO, Older Vettes, Camaros,G8's etc.

4.) I know what everyone is saying your better off getting a 3800/3800 SC and I agree with them to an extent. Most definitely it will give you the new found power of throwing you back which you crave....But I am not to eager to agree on the whole engine swap thing....it does sound easy on paper, pop engine out, pop new engine in, and boom done...there is a lot more to it then that, and I'm sure it would be easier if your a mechanic, knowledgeable with these type of swaps, and have the neccessary lifts/tools to do so....but honestly, most people aren't and what ussually happens is the swap gets half way done, perhaps even 3/4's and issues start to occur...things don't fit, electrical wires are throwing codes, this that or the other thing occurs...then frustraition starts to build due to the lack of car, waisted money and not getting anything done...eventually the entire project gets sold off for pennies and people start over with something new.

My Take? Save as much as you can, look for a nice 2004 Supercharged Monte, sell or trade in yours....put all your current mods (Neons and what ever else is done) on the new car and there you have gained lotsa HP and have a turnkey car ready to go....and eventually start to mod that to go faster, as stated dollar for dollar you will be going lots faster then a modded 3400.

Oh yeah and in regards to being different....your modding a FWD , Heavy Monte Carlo to go fast.....your already different right there...how many monte LS's do I see in my area....maybe 10 a month...how many SS's do I see? Maybe 1 a month....How many are modded.....0...don't get to much more different then that...

Again my 2 cents, but best of luck with whatever you decide....keep us updated on progress.
Joe

biggriggs 01-07-2011 04:41 PM

My Take? Save as much as you can, look for a nice 2004 Supercharged Monte, sell or trade in yours....put all your current mods (Neons and what ever else is done) on the new car and there you have gained lotsa HP and have a turnkey car ready to go....and eventually start to mod that to go faster, as stated dollar for dollar you will be going lots faster then a modded 3400.
I was hoping someone would post this.
Unless you're really familiar with doing this engine swap (and the physical engine swap is about 10% of the swap work itself..electrical is a bitch on it) or know someone experienced with this engine swap that is willing to help you do it for free, then you'd be much better off just switching over to an already supercharged car in the first place.

Before I got rid of my 2001 LS, I looked into the price difference of paying someone to do the engine swap vs buying a used 2004 s/c car, and trading in the LS for an SS ended up being a much cheaper option all in all. That is also considering that the SS I got was much lower mileage (30k vs 120k) so the body and suspension was in much better shape, and it also came with all of the other goodies the SS comes with.
Definitely worth looking into since the s/c ss cars are going for under 10k used with low mileage, and if your LS is still in good shape you can unload it for a decent portion of that cost.

there is also an hd conversion kit that is sold to turn the reg tranny to the hd version
It's called pulling the diff and passenger side axle out of a supercharged car from the junkyard. LOL

BocaReject 01-07-2011 06:13 PM

true,but my car is worth like 5k not even and a ss is around 7 or 10k

its cheaper to do the swap and i m a hands on guy and i like to work on my monte so to me it would be the coolest thing todo and to be able to say,i did it on my own you know

i mean neon is a wiring job i had todo on my monte and i did it alone on a sunday,and no one thinks i did it untill i tell them which makes me happy that i did it lol

biggriggs 01-07-2011 07:20 PM

i mean neon is a wiring job
Doing an engine harness swap is a bit different than hooking up some light to a power source.

Just sayin.

BocaReject 01-08-2011 02:26 AM

lol i know

its about 12 wires i think

i know a engine harness is different but thats nothing this forum cant help and a manual

Montess2k 01-08-2011 06:17 AM

I know on paper it may sound easier and cheaper to do the swap but you'd be surprised how quickly the cost goes up when you calculate the engine/transmission/PCM/BCM, tools and such...I really think it will cost more in the long run, then selling your car for about 5K, and taking out a loan for 2K-3K to make up the difference to get a decent newer SS.

Definitely kudos to you for wanting to do the engine swap on your own, just one question, do you have a Daily Driver? Another car or other means of transportation to get around if your car is down for an extended period of time? Like a way to get to work or school or just down the street to the store? This would be my biggest concern for you, not having a way to get around, most people who take on big projects like a rebuild/engine swap and such have a dd to get around.

I don't want to talk you out of your dream, just want to make sure you have an objective opinion and really sit down and think about all possibilities....like relying on this message board if you run into trouble, not a bad idea, but what if the message board goes down for an extended period of time?

Also take a look at all the wiring diagrams and pcm/bcm issues that could occur...electrical issues are a nightmare to figure out if you come across one...and what if you do everything and the car still doesn't start? or run correctly....most regular shops won't touch a car with an engine swap that's not running, and those specialty speed shops that do will charge an arm and a leg, not to mention the cost of a tow to get it there....

I don't want to sound so negative like it can't be done, just want to make sure you go in with your eyes fully open before waisting money on such a big project and not knowing what you getting yourself into from the get go.

Joe

red04montels 01-08-2011 11:07 AM

Originally Posted by Montess2k (Post 285882)
I know on paper it may sound easier and cheaper to do the swap but you'd be surprised how quickly the cost goes up when you calculate the engine/transmission/PCM/BCM, tools and such...I really think it will cost more in the long run, then selling your car for about 5K, and taking out a loan for 2K-3K to make up the difference to get a decent newer SS.

Definitely kudos to you for wanting to do the engine swap on your own, just one question, do you have a Daily Driver? Another car or other means of transportation to get around if your car is down for an extended period of time? Like a way to get to work or school or just down the street to the store? This would be my biggest concern for you, not having a way to get around, most people who take on big projects like a rebuild/engine swap and such have a dd to get around.

I don't want to talk you out of your dream, just want to make sure you have an objective opinion and really sit down and think about all possibilities....like relying on this message board if you run into trouble, not a bad idea, but what if the message board goes down for an extended period of time?

Also take a look at all the wiring diagrams and pcm/bcm issues that could occur...electrical issues are a nightmare to figure out if you come across one...and what if you do everything and the car still doesn't start? or run correctly....most regular shops won't touch a car with an engine swap that's not running, and those specialty speed shops that do will charge an arm and a leg, not to mention the cost of a tow to get it there....

I don't want to sound so negative like it can't be done, just want to make sure you go in with your eyes fully open before waisting money on such a big project and not knowing what you getting yourself into from the get go.

Joe

X2

No one is trying to talk you out of it at all but its just some important things to think about.

BocaReject 01-08-2011 12:39 PM

i got you

i have my moms and step dads car,plus a bus and i could ride a bike to work,it like 6 mins away,i have the tools,and the guy next door has a engine hoist

theres one wiring problem that my monte already had that burned out my power lock switch and blows fuses left and right,turns out it was arcing

Montess2k 01-08-2011 09:49 PM

Ok then best of Luck on the swap, keep us updated on progress!

Joe

BocaReject 09-14-2011 12:33 PM

update

so i sold my car and got a 95 integra, this thing is great on gas which i wanted, $45 on 93 and it fills the tank up, and i can drive a long ways with that tank, the monte took to much gas and it all dropped my car insurance down alot so thats nice

but i have not been on for a while because money got really tight and we had to take the internet down and i was kicked out of the house, so i will stick around to do the nascar stuff next year, but yea no more monte, i do get to see it every once and a while and i do miss it