General Monte Carlo Talk Talk about the Monte Carlo. Does not have to be your Monte. Can include pics and games.

Prioritizing help please!!!!

Old 02-20-2007, 03:34 AM
Default Prioritizing help please!!!!

Okay so I just got my baby home from the "dr" (dealer) and have a whole schlue of things that need to be done to her. $1800 after tax to give a rough figure. I need help figuring out which one needs to be done 1st, 2nd, etc...As I am unable to do any of this myself I'm having to rely on others and want to make sure I don't get hosed. These are the prices the dealer quoted me by the way. If you guys could help me out that would be great!!! [sm=smiley31.gif]
These are the notes off of my report thingy so they might make more sense to you guys...
1. Interm shaft lube ($175)
2. Power steering hose leak (not major but not minor either) ($260)
3. LF Inner CV boot leaking ($275)
4. Brake fluid flush ($135)
5. Switch in drivers side has open circuit ($125) It's stubborn to roll up
6. Recommended CAT replacement ($700) then retest O2 sensors after.
7. Major service ($425)

I have a Magnaflow CAT on there right now (installed in november) but the check engine light keeps coming on. I have already checked with the DMV and an O2 Simulator is ILLEGAL in Nevada and unfortunately I am a goody goody and don't want to get busted. Everyone keeps telling me that the CAT I have on there isn't cleaning the exhaust good enough and that is why it keeps throwing the code. Maybe I just don't get it. I would figure that the easier it is to get the exhaust out the better right? (I have the standard size exhaust pipe one there) To date I've replace the air filter with a K&N, the CAT withthe Magnaflow, 2 Flow Master 40's and just put new O2 sensors in it.

What order would you guys suggest and if you have any ideas on the other, don't hesitate to pipe up please!!!!!!

Thanx for everything guys!!!!!!!!

Old 02-20-2007, 07:42 PM
Default RE: Prioritizing help please!!!!

i dont know about the other stuff but the window i had the same problem it sounds like and all i had to do was buy a new switch off ebay and put it in myself (but if your not all that handy i bet you could get a friend to do it for u) the switch was only $35

that is if it is the same problem that i had

Old 02-20-2007, 08:58 PM

Well the stealership is really trying to get ya. I would look around at some other notable shops in your area. Some of those prices are outrageaus for what needs to be done. As far as the cat problem you could get a programmed PCM from ZZPerformance for a lot less that will eliminate that problem and keep the high flow cat without having the sim.

Old 02-20-2007, 09:52 PM

First, how many miles are on your car? Second, what is included in the "major service"?

The intermediate shaft lube is not necessary unless the knocking noise/feeling you get when you turn the wheel bothers you. If you know anyone with basic tools and some mechanical ability, I'm sure they'd be willing to do it for much less. The lube kit costs $12 I think and there is a site that shows you how to do it here: http://www.colinkraft.com/shaft.php

The power steering hose leak may be one of the more important things, depending on how bad it is leaking. If you decide to not do it, make sure your fluid is kept full. You'll hear the pump start making noise when turning if it gets low.

The CV boot is also pretty important. If it is just leaking, it isn't as important as if it was torn. If the boot is torn, dirt can get inside the CV joint and ruin it, then you need a new axle.

The brake fluid flush can likely wait. I work at a dealership (Volvo, not GM) and in the 30K, 60K, 90K, the car get's a brake fluid flush. The dealership I worked at prior to this did not include it in the services and we didn't see any brake systems get trashed because of it. Take a look at the fluid... if it is black, flushing it might be a good idea. But you can get it done cheaper elsewhere.

The window switch is important if it bothers you. But I agree with 2000_BLACK_SS on getting one on ebay or elsewhere and popping it in.

The cat is an emissions component. An aftermarket cat still has regulations it has to pass. How long ago was it put on? If it is fairly new, I would contact Magnaflow about it. What codes are being set?

And again, find out what is in the "major service" before prioritizing that.

I hope that helps you decide.

Old 02-21-2007, 02:56 AM

The CV should be first as if dirt is to get in there then it is a MAJOR repair. The other stuff is just "nuisance" stuff. The brake flush doesn't need to be done unless there is some sort of problem with corrosion. I've never had that done on ANY car I've owned.

Old 02-21-2007, 10:19 AM
Monte Of The Month -- March 2007
5 Year Member

i would definetely take it for another opinion...sounds to me they are ripping you off...

never take anything to the dealership unless its covered under warranty...as they usually tell you they're putting acdelco parts on...but ac delco parts are made by other companies that you can buy cheaper aftermarket....sorry i would never take anything i own to a dealership...unless it was like a mercedes, or porche or something high end foreign like that...nothing domestic goes to the dealership...

get another opinion

Old 02-21-2007, 03:55 PM
rj
15 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Just to ask, how old is your Monte and how long has the power steering hose leaked?

I ask cause it could be one of those things covered under the warranty if there's any left on your Monte? I know someone mentioned the '06 Montes were having a problem with the power steering return hose when the temperatures drop outside.

Old 02-22-2007, 02:25 PM

It's a 2002 with 66700 on it. The only reason I took it to a dealership was so that I would have a total diagnostic run. Everywhere else would only hook it up to a machine but never do anything beyond that. I put the CAT on in November so I e-mailed Magnaflow about it and am still waiting for an answer back from them. I'm going to get the window switch put in sometime this week. Luckily I caught all the problems before they got to be major things so right now it's just going one step at a time.

Thanx for all the advise!!! I really appreciate it. [sm=smiley17.gif]

Old 03-05-2007, 05:16 AM

Just an update on the car...We got the new window switch in a couple of days ago.Thanks 2000_Black_SS, it was the same problem.[sm=thanx.gif]I took it over to have the CAT looked at (once again) but this time I took my BF with me and explained to the guys at the shop that I knew there was difference between "universal" CAT's from Magnaflow and wanted to make sure they put the right one in.[sm=chairshot.gif] I made them get me the part number for the one they put in (which was the wrong one[sm=bustedsign.gif]) and then made them get onMagnaflow's websiteand showed them that yes thereare different ones for different cars.[sm=icon_beat.gif] Then I made them lift the car and take the temperature readings before the CAT (490's) and after the CAT (250). They tried to tell me that those were normal readings.When I finally put upenough of astink [sm=bicker.gif]the manager came over and finally agreed with me that they had put the wrong one in. They are ordering the correct one tomorrow and will put it in for me by the end of the week. Hopefully that will fix the problem.

Man sorry to rant [sm=rant.gif]but I hate it when guys treat me like I'm some dumbgirl that doesn't know what I'm talking about. Just cause I can't do the work myself doesn't mean I don't know anything. GRRR!!!

[sm=americanasmiley.gif]ONE SMALL VICTORY FOR HOT CHICKS!!!!!!! [sm=americanasmiley.gif]

Old 03-05-2007, 03:35 PM
rj
15 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Nice to hear things are working out.

Even guys can get the bucket of BS sometimes.
(been there)

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Prioritizing help please!!!!