General Monte Carlo Talk Talk about the Monte Carlo. Does not have to be your Monte. Can include pics and games.

Prepareing for a car show

Old 11-16-2008, 10:40 PM

Monte Of The Month -- April 2011
GOT SPL
Default Prepareing for a car show

Hey, I am new to the car show biz. I just want to know what are the best steps to take to prepare for a car show and what should you have with or without you at the show. Besides washing the car and the interior what wlse should you do for the car befor the show. when you are at the show what are the best things to do to get good attention and ratings. and a quick question should you use the electronics in the car like the system durring the show and how should you do that.
thanks!

Old 11-17-2008, 07:37 AM

Fallen to the Dark Side - Resident Ford Man
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default RE: Prepareing for a car show

most car shows that are judged require your to open your hood and trunk, and have your windows down. so to get real detailed, clean all those crevices around your trunklid, maybe even wax them. i wax the bottom side of my trunklid. also, clean up around your engine bay, maybe even wax that a little bit. just have it all cleaned up, vacuumed out, and leave the sun roof open

Old 11-17-2008, 10:14 AM

Monte Of The Month -- January 2009

1.wash your car

2.use break cleaner to clean the brakes

3.use wheel cleaner to clean the wheels

4.use a engine degreaser to clean the engine

5.dry with microfiber towels

6.dry and use a window cleaner on all windows

7.vacum the trunk back seats and front seats

8.use a carpet cleaner on the car floor in front and behind the seats

9.detail all plastics with mothers plastic polish, headlamps tail lights mirror covers,etc

10.detail wheels with a tire dresser and polish the wheels up

11.wax the car or use a detail spray to wipe and wax the car fast.

12.armoral the dash and inside of the doors and the plastic pieces under the engine like the engine cover.

13.Take a seat and a bottle of water or cool beer and relax.

There is more info on the detailing section of the forum on the products we use, look through it

[IMG]local://upfiles/2994/600659245C574975A1CE21F9A658FBB9.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/2994/74A586D6699145D0A1EFB4A16F9C759F.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/2994/063A2DBB29134D2FB5DCC987B74049D4.jpg[/IMG]

Old 11-17-2008, 11:27 AM

Monte Of The Month -- January 2009

as for the electronics on saturday night at the end of the show I ended up with a dead battery lol. I turned my hids of when trying to start it and let it recharge itself and it did. I was so relieved. If you have a optima battery and a strike cap you should be ok, don't bast the system all night and don't leave the parking light or head lights on all night, I was playing with my stuff without a optima battery and strike cap, I should of let the car run to recharge the battery a couple of times and I didn't, Just make sure to bring jumper cables in case

With my headlights I just use my keyless entry to turn them off and on when people would really be intrested in my car and when the judges came around at night I turned my car on and had all my HIDS on so they could see the full effect.

Not that it mattered to the juges since cars and trucks were catogorized together

Hope some of this helps, and I did make it home and my battery is fine just drained it a bit but its recharging back.

Old 11-17-2008, 06:15 PM
rj
15 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Mavrickf16113 offered some very good advice on cleaning your car. And doing as much work at home as you can helps with the clean up & detailing at the show.

But you also want to take some cleaning/detailing supplies with you to the show. Cars do get dirty on the way to the show.

I take a bucket and supply of rags with me. If there's no water available then I fall back on Plan B.... Meguiar's Quik Detailer.

I always detail the tires and as many rubber parts as possible too. Mequiar's comes to the rescue again for me with their tire shine product.

One thing to remember about going to a show. What I mean is you can take too much stuff with you. Then you have no place to store the items. I feel this can detract from your car in a negative way. Take only what you feel is nessessary. Sure take a cooler for beverages. And a few snacks. Just don't take your tool box, floor jack, chrome jack stands, and creeper unless they're some part of your display.

Old 11-17-2008, 10:24 PM

Monte Of The Month -- April 2011
GOT SPL

Thanx guys I really appreciate it.

What about durring the show for like when people come up to the car what should I say, should I tell them the history of the car, what I have done ect...

Old 11-18-2008, 11:05 AM

5 Year Member

yes, tell them what you've done. dont point out any flaws or antyhing you know is wrong. if anybody asks you if something is stock, tel them the truth. i've done experiments with a lot of guys on something i know isn't stock, when i ask them, they almost alwyas say yes (at shows with older cars).if anybody points out a flaw, acknowledge it btu don't point it out to them.

Old 11-18-2008, 12:09 PM
rj
15 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

My experience going to shows.

You will find average looking guys willing to tell you about their car. But could care less what you have to say about your car. As long as you're willing to stand there and let them talk, they'll be your best friend. As long as it's about their car.

But interupt them or talk about your car and suddenly it's time to go.

One main point.
Go to have a good time.
Don't go expecting to win anything. This only puts pressure on you. And a HUGE let down if your car isn't awarded anything.
I know a guy who's 55 years old right now. This man has been known to cry cause his car wasn't awarded a $4 trophy at a show or cruise-in. And he'll bad mouth the show from now on vowing never to return.

Go to have fun. Meet new people, make new friends. Have a great day and enjoy yourself.

Personally, I like checking out the women that come to shows. But that's just between you & me.

Old 11-18-2008, 12:28 PM

5 Year Member

Yeah I forgot to metnion what RJ said. That is very true. The only thing I've ever won was runner up best modern car with the Monte at the Campbell University Fall Car show, I got a $15 iTunes gift card for it. Even our 1950 Chevy truck hasn't won anything yet, which sometiems saddens me because of all the time that is wrapped up in it. Most of the time you'll se a bias in the judges and if you're on the judges bias side, then you'l be alright and probably win. If it's hosted by a club, then you'll see alot of locals and club members winning awards (sometimes, some shows to be fair will not give awards to member cars). Go to have fun, when you get lucky somebody will wnat to talk to you about your car and you may even want to talk to them about their car.