General Monte Carlo Talk Talk about the Monte Carlo. Does not have to be your Monte. Can include pics and games.

Post-Factory Warranty anxiety!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2007, 01:55 PM
Default RE: Post-Factory Warranty anxiety!!

GM Major Guard info... [ul][*]Non-Covered Parts [/ul] [ul][*]Sheet metal[*]Body parts, panels and rails[*]Bumpers[*]Chassis frame[*]Cross members[*]Hinges[*]Trim, moldings, and bright metal[*]Paint[*]Rust damage[*]Convertible and vinyl tops[*]Weather-strips[*]Carpet and upholstery[/ul] [ul][*]Exhaust system and catalytic converter[*]Tires[*]Glass[*]Lenses[*]Sealed Beams[*]Light Bulbs[*]Batteries[*]Brake drums[*]Shock absorbers[*]Squeaks , rattles, wind noise and odors[*]Correction of air and water leaks[/ul] Unless required in connection with a covered part we will not pay for: engine tune-up, suspension alignment, wheel balancing, filters, lubricants, engine coolant, drive belts, radiator hoses, heater and vacuum hoses, windshield wiper blades, air conditioning recharging, fluids, spark/glow plugs and wires, brake pads/linings and brake shoes/rotors, manual clutch disc, vehicle manufacturer recommended maintenance services and parts.

Here's a link to a comparison chart between the 3 plans and shows you what IS covered by which plan.

click on the component to expand the listing of covered parts for that component... example, click on the word "Engine" to display a list of engine items that are covered...

http://gmprotectionplan.com/coverage_comparison.html

Old 10-13-2007, 05:36 PM
rj
15 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

So if my extended warranty is comparable with the factory warranty I shouldn't have much to woory about?

WHEN........ I get to the end of the 3yr/36k miles factory warranty.
(not any time soon if I don't drive the car. Right now it's at 12,985miles)

Old 10-13-2007, 05:44 PM

well, it's not totally comparable...

all of those things listed above WOULD be covered under the factory 3yr/36,000 mile warranty... but they are NOT covered under the GM Major Guard extended warranty...

Old 10-13-2007, 08:24 PM

You guys have had issues with brakes too? I notice mine when they get very hot.. Such as a 170-60 kph stop.. It almost looks like There is a chip out of my right rear disc..

Ill try to snap a pic..

Old 10-14-2007, 09:36 PM
rj
15 Year Member

well, it's not totally comparable...

all of those things listed above WOULD be covered under the factory 3yr/36,000 mile warranty... but they are NOT covered under the GM Major Guard extended warranty...

Someone's not telling me the truth here. And if I find out it was the sales manager at the local Chevy dealer well, you guys will be hearing at a murder in Ohio and I won't be MCF any longer.

I'll be setting in prison.

Old 10-15-2007, 06:48 AM

what??!! a salesman that lies??!!!

I got all of that info from the gmprotectionplan.com website as far as what's not covered.... go to the link and check for yourself...

Old 10-15-2007, 12:18 PM
Photobucket
Monte Of The Month -- December 2007

First... There is a reason why some of those items are not covered under the extended warranty, and that is because they are cover under the original warranty.

Sheet Metal: Corrosion coverage is 3/36, but rust is 6/100
Catalytic converters and Powertrain Control Modules (PCM) are 8/80
Most of the parts on this list are cover other other warranty (check YOUR WARRANTY MANUAL that came with your car).

Some of the items were never covered, some are cover by another OEM (Tires, batteries, etc.).

Stainless exhaust systems have a longer warranty, where the aluminum are not. Some of these items are common sense why they are not covered. Carpeting... Please...

BUT... IF YOU DO NOT FOLLOW THE REGULAR MAINTENANCE SCHEDULE PER YOUR OWNERS MANUAL, NOTHING IS COVERED!!!... STARTING DAY ONE!!! If you burn the tires off your car the TIRES ARE NOT cover (Common Sense). If you are burning your tires off, and your brakes fail prematurely... GEE I don't think your brakes will be cover either, or your motor, trans, trans axles, etc. If you buy a new car, the mechanics look at your tires first and foremost (it is a great indicator of how you drive, followed by your brakes.) Tires & brakes prematurely worn, YOU ARE ABUSING YOUR CAR... So what is wrong, and is it part,located in a high stress area that could be damaged from Brake Torqueing, drag racing. Then comes the question MOST PEOPLE FAIL... Mr or Ms Jones, Have you been racing or driving your car hard? Mr. Jones, No... Mechanic, Will Mr. Jones, OUR COMPUTER indicates you or someone else has been abusing the car. Mr. Jones, WELL, I may have gotten on it a few times...

The mechanic doesn't really know... He/She suspects it and throw the question out there. Your answer determines if it is covered

Old 10-15-2007, 01:11 PM

My dash has a defect from the factory with the way the vinyl was molded on the passenger side near the air bag. I am reluctant to take it to the dealer as I am afraid that the dealer with screw-up something during its replacement.

I had the dealer replace the hazard switch on my wife's Malibu under warranty and the mechanic broke a vent that I discovered after getting the car back and the Service Writer said the mechanice show it to him while replacing the switch and said it was already broken. It was not broken and I had to argue with him to get them to fix it.

What are your thoughts on my dash?

Old 10-16-2007, 12:25 PM
rj
15 Year Member

Your vent sounds like my console.
The dealer replaced the CD player. I went to pick the car up, noticed scratches on the side of the console thecar did not have before. I keep the armrest of the console covered with a towel (to keep dead skin cells, dirt, etc off the armrest)

My g/f told I needed to go back in and bring them out and show them these new scratches but I was irritated cause they'd already have the car a couple days as it was.

Took the car in the have it worked on, told them I wanted their interior guy to see if he could repair the scratches? Now they wanted to charge me for having him fix scratched they did.
I never did pay for this.

Some of the items were never covered, some are cover by another OEM (Tires, batteries, etc.).

Right after I got the car I called the 1-800 number on the sticker in the driver side quarter window. Guy on the other end of the phone told me the tires on my car are covered. Till the extended warranty is up.

Old 10-16-2007, 12:39 PM

This is why I am willing to live with the dash defect, except I don't like the way it looks. Nobody seems to care about their work unless they are working on their own cars.

Quick Reply: Post-Factory Warranty anxiety!!