General Monte Carlo Talk Talk about the Monte Carlo. Does not have to be your Monte. Can include pics and games.

Plans for our monte

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2009, 05:55 PM
Default Plans for our monte

We made of list of what we plan on doing to our monte over the next year or so. Its pretty much in order but things can be changed around. Let us know what you think and if we should modify the list in any way. Thank you

1. Lower intake manifold gasket & autolite 605 plugs 180 thermostat
2. winter wheels & tires
3. mud flaps
4. zzp down pipe w/u bend delete and high flow cat
5. K&N cold air intake
6. zzp front powerlog
7. 1:9-1 rockers
8. smaller supercharger pulley

Old 06-16-2009, 08:38 PM

After reading through some threads, I've been changing my mind on the k&n intake. What is the best CAI performance wise? How is the thrasher compared to the wizaird? I like the price and looks of the thrasher, but how well does it perform compared to the wizaird. I'm the only one that looks under the hood so when it comes down to it its power over looks

Old 06-16-2009, 09:48 PM
Monte Of The Month - February 2010
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

original post Wizaired CAI???

this is a copy and paste from a previous post from

chibiblacksheep "super member"

Wizaired is a great performing CAI, but doesn't really look that nice IMO.

The K&N looks a lot nicer, but I believe doesn't quite perform as well and is a little more expensive.

Also check out ZZPerformance.com and click on Grand Prix. Same engine :P

and this response: from
AwsomeSS "super member"

I went with the SLP for the 05 Supercharged Monte and I like it. Again, the K&N looks and sounds better, but an enclosed system like the Wizaried, SLP or Thrasher is much better on performance.

i would trust both of these posts/members because they seem to have lots of great input!!

Last edited by monte carlo 3831; 06-16-2009 at 09:49 PM. Reason: updated??
Old 06-16-2009, 09:52 PM
Monte Of The Month - February 2010
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

sorry for post jacking to AwsomeSS and chibiblacksheep,

Old 06-16-2009, 09:56 PM

Monte Of The Month -- July 2009
I'M NOT OLD, I'M JUST WELL MARINATED.
5 Year Member

NP Chris.

But they are right. Since Wizaried is enclosed, there is no chance of getting hot air in.

Old 06-17-2009, 06:17 AM

Thank you. Is the thrasher also enclosed? It looks like it in its picture.

I also want to added to the list a remote starter at some point, before winter.

How much of a horsepower gain can I expect from the mods I listed? I'd like to take the car to New England Dragway once I get the intake done but before I do any mods and get a few baseline runs done. This car has far more potential then my old bonnie ever did

Old 06-17-2009, 09:09 AM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

smaller supercharger pulley should never be on your list unless you have a tuner / a way to check for knock retard (KR)

anything CAI wise will out perform the stock airbox that you currently have. IMO I think the K&N honestly looks the best, that's why I got it. I don't live in a very hot area, so I didn't mind too much about the enclosed box. If you don't care about looks, then start to look at prices and get either of the enclosed ones that you like. If you like the Thrasher looks, and it's priced right, then by all means get it.

I was able to get my K&N for $250, and I like the look of it, so I went with that.

The Wiz-aired I believeeeeee is the best performing one out there. But again we are talking very very slight changes in all of them. As long as it has a heat shield and the price is right, buy it!

Old 06-17-2009, 11:37 AM

I don't have a tuner but I do have a tech 2 to check for KR. When I first got the car KR was 1 at times, but that was because the dealer filled it with regular. Since running 2 tanks of High test the KR is now down to 0 all the time. I'll skip the pulley til I can get a tuner. The rest of the mods will probably make me happy. I'm happy with the stock power, but I want more

I may down the road throw a set of flowmasters on it, but for now the exhaust is gonna remain stock other then the downpipe with ubend delete and high flow cat. The way New Hampshire winters are it will probably need mufflars in a few years anyways

Old 06-17-2009, 05:57 PM
Taz

Monte Of The Month -- March 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Sorry if I missed it in another thread. But why do you want to change the lower intake manifold gasket?

The 3.4 litre 3400 engines have a huge problem with that, but not the 3.8 from what I've read.

Just my opinion, but unless I was having a leak, I wouldn't spend the money and time changing it on the 3.8 litre engine. It's a heck of a job to do if you don't have to.

The CAI... I'm leaning toward the Wizaird for mine. The K&N may sound better, but that can always be taken care of with an exhaust system.

I wouldn't put mud flaps on your Monte. I don't really like the look of mud flaps on a sporty car.

Old 06-17-2009, 08:27 PM

The LIM gaskets are leaking. I saw it was leaking before we bought it and I told them I'd do them if the took some money off, which the gave me $500 more for my trade in. I've done so many LIM gaskets on 3800s at work, (did them on the last 2 I've owned) that I can do it done in under 2.5 hrs. I've also done a ton of 3.4's and they are more of a pain then the 3.8's

So you think we shouldn't do mud flaps. Only reason I was going to was to keep the salt and crap off the rockers, but if their gonna look like garbage then I'll pass

I've been on the fence between the wizaird and thrasher, but have been leaning towards the wizaird for better performance and its priced reasonable.I'm doing the down pipe first because IMO it doesn't make sense to have the car inhale better before it can exhale better, if that makes any sense

Quick Reply: Plans for our monte