General Monte Carlo Talk Talk about the Monte Carlo. Does not have to be your Monte. Can include pics and games.

Peeling Out

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2005, 12:04 AM
Default Peeling Out

Would peeling out be bad for the engine of a 2004 Monte Carlo? Would it be okay if I did it every once and a while? Also, what role does the traction system play in peeling out? Should I use the TRAC OFF feature when peeling out? Thanks.

Old 09-26-2005, 02:40 AM
Default RE: Peeling Out

ORIGINAL: Scooze

Would peeling out be bad for the engine of a 2004 Monte Carlo? Would it be okay if I did it every once and a while? Also, what role does the traction system play in peeling out? Should I use the TRAC OFF feature when peeling out? Thanks.
I woudn't get in the habit of it, but I guess a spirited romp every now and then couldn't be too bad. You might chirp the tires w/traction on, but that's about it. Turn it off and it's all good.

Old 09-26-2005, 04:12 AM

Every time you "peel" out.. your transmission hates you a little more .

CV joints aren't fond of it either.

Tj

Old 09-26-2005, 04:15 AM

depending on where ytou live and weather in that area you will know what roll controll dose for you in the winter.

Personally i hate it but that is mostly becuse of me having to learn how to drive with out it and the ABS , dont care for them ethier they do what i have done for so long it is more of a nusents then a help.

But they are both good systems as far as what they do they take out the guess work on someone who might not know to pump the brakes when stoping on a slick surface so you dont lock the wheels up

or they cut the power going to the wheel loseing traction so that it wont spin and allow you to gain tracking in some conditions you might not other wise get it.

but as for peeling out yeah i would agree if the motor is warm and not starting off a cold motor. once in a while would be ok but i would not make it habbit as you are on a fine line of beating the car some.

but hey we all have our moments :-) !!!

Old 09-26-2005, 05:04 PM

This quote pretty much sums it up.

But, to do it safely turn off T/C, set the emergency brake and slowly climb to an RPM to break the tires lose. Do not floor it.

Just keep in mind these trans are not going to handle much abuse of this nature...

Old 09-27-2005, 02:22 AM
CMC
10 Year Member

Yeah, if you beat on the car all the time and do all kinds of crazy things with it your transaxle will hate you. Trust me, I know. You can kill a stock transaxle in about 40K miles or less. The items you'll be burning up are the torq-converter, cluctches and bands, and the differential.

Old 09-27-2005, 12:01 PM

ORIGINAL: CMC

Yeah, if you beat on the car all the time and do all kinds of crazy things with it your transaxle will hate you. Trust me, I know. You can kill a stock transaxle in about 40K miles or less. The items you'll be burning up are the torq-converter, cluctches and bands, and the differential.
CMC, I noticed you mentioned ZZP trans, what did it cost you and is it worth it? If/when my trans gives out I would like to upgrade to either a ZZP or stock HD trans. I've been kinda scared to do any major mods because of the trans but would like to build an engine and trans replacement for the stocker when it's paid off. I may need your directional assitance later with a SC/boosted project..

Old 09-28-2005, 09:34 AM

ORIGINAL: montejass

But, to do it safely turn off T/C, set the emergency brake and slowly climb to an RPM to break the tires lose. Do not floor it.

Just keep in mind these trans are not going to handle much abuse of this nature...
Then wouldn't that be bad on my emergency brake?

Old 09-28-2005, 10:25 AM

ORIGINAL: Scooze

ORIGINAL: montejass

Then wouldn't that be bad on my emergency brake?
LOL........ I'd rather replace an emergency brake than a trans... lol

No, it should not have much of an effect on the emergency brake. I forgot to add, when you break the wheels loose release the emergency brake. You want to prevent wheel hop/surge at all cost.

Old 09-28-2005, 10:26 AM

Wow. Guess I'm guilty of peeling out a little to much myself. Glad I saw this post. I'll have to take it easy on the takeoff's. Didn't stop to think of the damage I could be doing. btw, anyone know what the top speed is on a stock 04 SS? I've had mine to 115, but the bastards here in MN changed the laws and now if you get a ticket for 100+ mph, they yank your licence for 6 mo.

Quick Reply: Peeling Out