General Monte Carlo Talk Talk about the Monte Carlo. Does not have to be your Monte. Can include pics and games.

Parking brake

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2017, 10:12 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default Parking brake

So plumbob's commenting about setting the parking brake on another thread reminded me of a problem I have with my parking brake..

It gets loose.. This is after each time I use it. Everytime I release it, I need to go behind the pedal and pull that gear forward to tighten it up.. Hopefully someone knows the "gear" im talking about.. Gotta kinda put a flathead screw driver in there and move the gear to tighten the cable..

Is there anyway to fix this? Im about to just weld it in the position its supposed to be in..

This is the second Monte this has happened to and Ive never abused the parking brake.. You know, how some skid around with the rear wheels locked up..

Thanks..

Old 07-21-2017, 09:29 PM
Monte Of The Month -- January 2016
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Originally Posted by wht02monte
So plumbob's commenting about setting the parking brake on another thread reminded me of a problem I have with my parking brake..

It gets loose.. This is after each time I use it. Everytime I release it, I need to go behind the pedal and pull that gear forward to tighten it up.. Hopefully someone knows the "gear" im talking about.. Gotta kinda put a flathead screw driver in there and move the gear to tighten the cable..

Is there anyway to fix this? Im about to just weld it in the position its supposed to be in..

This is the second Monte this has happened to and Ive never abused the parking brake.. You know, how some skid around with the rear wheels locked up..

Thanks..
You need the adjust the parking brake shoes. There are adjustment wheels at the rear brakes.

Here's a video on parking brake shoes and the adjustment.

Or you might need to adjust the cable.

Last edited by plumbob; 07-21-2017 at 09:36 PM.