General Monte Carlo Talk Talk about the Monte Carlo. Does not have to be your Monte. Can include pics and games.

painting engine cover

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2005, 12:52 AM
Default painting engine cover

im getting the SS hood painted, can i paint the cover with the same paint. i was told because it isnt metal and on the engine, it is ok to use car paint. what do you think

Old 06-20-2005, 03:41 AM
Default RE: painting engine cover

ORIGINAL: kissmyss03

im getting the SS hood painted, can i paint the cover with the same paint. i was told because it isnt metal and on the engine, it is ok to use car paint. what do you think
Yeah, you can use car paint, I'd just sand the cover and lay a coat of primer down first.

Old 06-20-2005, 05:04 AM

speaking of painting plastic

yes you ca have them paint the hoood and cover at the same time they can also pait some clear coat on to it for you and that will make it look real nice.

seen mustang the ther day (one of our new members)
when we had our club BBQ
he had taken his car in to get the paint done on it . anyway he had the door pulls and the vents and the center of his dash Painted from the giy when he did the rest f the car. it looks nice and almost looked like it was ment o be that way in the car from the factory

Man it looked sharp how he did it.
i will have to get some photos of it . Wouldnt you know it i carry extra every thing but i didnt have my extra camera bat. that day thinking one would be enough LOL
oh well live and learn.

Old 06-20-2005, 10:38 AM

Hey Mickey, hope you saved my some of that BBQ!!!!

Should I wait by the mail box today??

I painted mine too, but it was with a product called mirage, I think it was made by Dupont. Anyway, it changes colors from red to green to blue.

As these guy's noted, make sure you give it a couple of coats of clear for protection.

TVW

Old 06-20-2005, 11:16 AM

so the heat wont mess up the paint?

Old 06-20-2005, 11:57 AM

i painted mine with testors model paints has been tehre ver a year now with nothign showing form heat or cold.

No the heat will not mess it up you dont get enough heat under the hood on this part to mess it up

Miss conseption is if it is under the hood you have to use high temp paint.
This is not always the case if it is somethign like plastic with a low melting point then you will be more then likly fine useing regular rattel cans on it.

Now this dose have limitaions also
I would use high temp paint on my valve covers if i paint them I havent done this yes so not a biug deal for my self

but if they are painting the hood for you just pop that off and get them to paint it to. They will more then likly have that much paint left in teh gun after the hood gets shot. you are talking maybe a cap full of paint off of a rattel can if that much.
So i would just ask. They are painting the hood and if they kjnow where this gose under the hood they will paint it with the right paint if your not sure what to use they are and also you will have a gurentee on it to a point.

Good luck

TVM.........

The Que is on the way should have gotten there by now?

Old 06-23-2005, 12:59 AM

ORIGINAL: kissmyss03

so the heat wont mess up the paint?
not likely on that plastic piece, I believe the plastic would melt before the paint got messed up.

Old 09-21-2005, 10:37 PM

Ok.. do you turn the oil fill tube off to get the front loose?. I see the back part is super easy.. but the front peice dosn't want to turn.

I think i am going to paint the engine cover, and i think i want to cut some reliefs into it for heat disperstion.. what did you guys use to cut it?.

Tj

Old 09-21-2005, 11:05 PM

The tube just twist off to the left...... I did not cut holes in mine when I did it, but I would think something like a RotoZip would do a pretty nice job of it...

Old 09-22-2005, 02:48 AM

Hummmmm... i've tried to loosen the oil fill tube.. refuse to move at all.

Anyone have that problem?.

Tj

Quick Reply: painting engine cover