General Monte Carlo Talk Talk about the Monte Carlo. Does not have to be your Monte. Can include pics and games.

painted on pinstriping

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2007, 06:56 AM
Default RE: painted on pinstriping

James, here's something to read : )
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
PINSTRIPING
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
All you need to pinstripe is you're imagination, a little practice, and topnotch supplies from Eastwood. Here is quick overview of three pinstriping methods:
To get you started, we offer two great books to give a more in-depth look at tips and techniques. Custom Lettering and Pinstriping Techniques (#37132) features articles about van and hot rod pinstriping, and The Art of Freehand Pinstriping by Dick Bird (#37079) features many color photos, detail shots and clear " how to" directions to inspire the novice.
First, choose the colors you are going to use. Pinstripes are usually done in two colors: one that compliments the body color, and another, thin line, which contrasts to make the stripe stand out. There are no rules: color choice is a matter of personal preference. We carry 53 (including pearlescents) colors of 1 shot paint so that you can really let your imagination run wild!
Before you start, the vehicle surface must be absolutely clean --- no grease, wax, or polish. If not you will have paint adhesion problems with the stripe. Our Pre-Surface Prep (#10041z) is a quick and easy way to make sure that the surface is as clean as it can be. Spray the area where you will be striping and wipe clean with a clean, lint free cloth-that's it! Now the surface is ready to stripe.
There are three basic methods to apply pinstripes: mechanical pinstriper, stencil tape, and free hand pinstriping. Each requires different techniques and equipment.
Mechanical Pinstriping
A mechanical pinstriper is the best method for striping long areas like trucks, vans, or station wagons. The chief advantage to a mechanical striper is that it puts down stripes of consistent width, letting you concentrate more on keeping the contour of the stripe aligned along your work surface. Eastwood carries the Buegler pinstriper and accessories, which are preferred by body shops and pinstripers for their high quality construction and consistent operation. The easiest way to use a Buegler striper is to set up your stripe line using our Magnetic Pinstriping Strip (#37021) It adheres firmly to steel surfaces, forms mild curves, and has a center groove designed with the Buegler's guide arm in mind. The strip can also act as a guide for your hand.
Fill the Buegler's chamber with paint. The easiest way to do this is to use the stirring stick. Dip it into the paint chamber. Now you're ready to start striping.
Move the striper along the magnetic strip evenly and fairly slowly. This ensures that the paint will be put down in a consistent depth along the length of the stripe. We recommend that you practice on some scrap sheet metal first or newspaper.
Striping with Stencil Tape
[center]Eastwood carries eight different stencil tapes that are suitable for almost any striping application. Stencil tapes let you lay down stripes of different colors without waiting for the other stripes to dry. Simply run the tape along the side of your vehicle, press the tape down firmly as you go, pressing out the air bubbles and kinks into which paint can seep. Then peel off the release tape from the surface and your guides are set. [/center

Old 06-08-2007, 03:05 AM

Well I finally hit paydirt and found someone within 60 miles of me who paints on pinstriping. So the LTZ will have mettalic grey one on topwith a metallic red accent stripe under it. I'll post pics when it's done.

Old 06-08-2007, 06:49 AM

[align=center]
Well I finally hit paydirt and found someone within 60 miles of me who paints on pinstriping. So the LTZ will have mettalic grey one on topwith a metallic red accent stripe under it. I'll post pics when it's done.
[/align][align=center][/align][align=center]I'm so happy, now I will be able to sleep : )

[/align][align=center]THANKS again2 ALL the MCF Members[/align][align=center]that are helping James -Cain45-[/align][align=center]on hispost question & major problem.[/align][align=center]THANKS[/align][align=center]
[/quote] [/align]

Old 06-08-2007, 07:19 AM
Monte Of The Month -- March 2007
5 Year Member

cant wait to see it should look good make sure you post pics when its done

and its good to hear you found someone
how did you find him??

Old 06-08-2007, 09:31 AM
THE JUDGE
Monte Of The Month -- November 2015
Monte Of The Month -- March 2012
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

I'm glad you found someone! I can't wait to see pics!

Old 06-12-2007, 02:57 AM

Called my dealer that I get my parts from and he knew a guy. The guy is in my old hometown even. I'll post pics when it's done. Thinking metallic grey on top stripe and metallic red on bottom stripe.

Old 06-12-2007, 07:30 AM
5 Year Member

are you getting it done along the side body lines of the monte?? kind of like how dess03's monte is painted

Old 06-13-2007, 03:43 AM

the pinstripes will follow both of the "humps" on the car

Old 06-13-2007, 07:38 AM
5 Year Member

you should advertise these on kijiji.com or ebay

might get some responses

Old 06-14-2007, 07:45 AM

Responses to what???