General Monte Carlo Talk Talk about the Monte Carlo. Does not have to be your Monte. Can include pics and games.

painted my engine cover this week.

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2010, 04:08 PM
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

i just used a paint especially for plastics. about 3 coats of red and 3 coats of black. i don't think the heat will be too much of an issue.

and there are minor things that the camera didn't pick up but you can see when you look at it in person. there is a small paint run next to the fill cap at the bottom, and when i pulled the tape off after letting it cure over night, the tape pulled off some paint with it in a few spots which annoys the hell outta me. but other than that i'm pretty satisfied!

Old 04-10-2010, 04:39 PM

Originally Posted by blackbeauty89
i just used a paint especially for plastics. about 3 coats of red and 3 coats of black. i don't think the heat will be too much of an issue.

and there are minor things that the camera didn't pick up but you can see when you look at it in person. there is a small paint run next to the fill cap at the bottom, and when i pulled the tape off after letting it cure over night, the tape pulled off some paint with it in a few spots which annoys the hell outta me. but other than that i'm pretty satisfied!
Get a small hobby paint brush and paint over the areas that pulled off and that ran. Think the key is just to take your time and be patient. You have an excellent start.

I used Fusion paint on mine back around Sept/Oct and have had no problems yet, that's driving 35 miles to work everyday. For the first week or two at the end of the trip I could smell warm paint but so far I've had no problems. I figured if the paint is for deck chairs that are exposed to the summer sun the heat the cover would have to put up with can't be much worse.

Old 04-10-2010, 09:40 PM

yeah it wont fade or anything - i no

I did it 2 using krylon fusion

This was back in the day. I no longer have my engine cover on i feel it looks better with out it.

Old 04-12-2010, 08:56 AM

Monte Of The Month -- January 2010
10 Year Member

Looks Good.

Old 04-12-2010, 03:30 PM
Photobucket
Monte Of The Month -- August 2009

Looks nice.

Old 04-12-2010, 09:38 PM
Taz

Monte Of The Month -- March 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Originally Posted by blackbeauty89

I like how it turned out! Good job.

I had to repaint the lettering on mine. For some reason the silver paint GM used on the engine covers (the 3800 supercharged covers anyway) has the bad habit of coming off after a while.

I taped off the lettering the opposite way you did. Only painted the lettering, and masked off the rest of the cover. What a pain in the *** to get the tape all perfect!

I too had a couple of spots where the tape took pieces of the paint with it. Annoyed me too. Just fix it by putting some paint on a small brush. Or touch up paint tube to match.

Old 04-24-2010, 08:49 AM

Sweet!!! I was thinking of doing the same thing to mine but havent had much time to do it.

Old 04-24-2010, 01:34 PM
rj
15 Year Member

Nice work.

I plan on doing a spare cover for the '03 Pace car.

Old 04-24-2010, 06:37 PM

Looks good! I'll have to do that to my wifes Grand Prix this summer.

Old 04-24-2010, 11:30 PM

Looks awesome!! I just did mine up the other day too. I also didn't use any special paint, just some metallic silver from autozone, and the can of touch up I got from expresspaint.com. What I did with my letters though was just use a brush and paint it on verrrrry carefully, I wasn't feeling up to taping it off. As you can see I had a big messup by the 5 that really makes me mad, I thought I fixed it, but it sticks out like a sore thumb. I mess up and dropped some silver paint there, and when I touch it up, it ruined my blue paint, I thought I fixed it, but when I put the clear coat on, it made it stick out.

Quick Reply: painted my engine cover this week.