General Monte Carlo Talk Talk about the Monte Carlo. Does not have to be your Monte. Can include pics and games.

Painted calipers

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2005, 07:02 PM
Photobucket
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default Painted calipers

has anyone else painted thier calipers on thier cars?
I did mine today and man what a pain in the ***. But i have to first tell you i did it in the drive way with nothign but jacks as i cant seem to find the nice new jack stands i bought right be fore everythign was shipped over here (go figure)
but any way i had the brush on stuff and it seemed to go on easy enough after the prep work and then i got adventurous and painted the altinator to . So look forrward to it going out soon LOL.

but if you havent used this stuff it covers great on almost anything. Some things to well.
But i painted it on and the way the distructions said it was going to be real thick . Thsi stuff went on pretty thin i was chasing runs on it all day till it started to harden up some then it was great to work with.

Words to the wise befor eyou paint the alt. make sure it is real clean (Mione was thank god)
i have notice verry littel fish eyes in mine where i didnt brush it good enough with the wire brush before trying to clean it and paint it. Other then that worked great.

Also did end up getting a drop or two on teh rotors. they came off after it dried with a old razor blade and some scraping with out getting crazy on it to goudge anythign.
I would post you a b4 and after but this thing dont like the size of the photo so i will have to rezie it again. then i will show you the b4 and after with it. But it defently made them stand out better behind the wheels. Now if i can only get my new to me wheels from the owner i will have it made.

Old 08-01-2005, 09:47 PM
Default RE: Painted calipers

ORIGINAL: mickey

has anyone else painted thier calipers on thier cars?
I haven't done mine on the Monte yet, but I did it on my Accord and it was a piece of cake. I did it the same way you did, the hardest part I'd say was cleaning them and being patient enough to let them dry real good before applying any paint. I just did them gloss black though, nothing too wild. On the Monte, I think I'm gonna do them blue to match the bowtie on the rims and trunk lid, but not until I get my rims.

Old 08-02-2005, 06:48 AM
Photobucket
15 Year Member

on mine the bow tie on the wheels are just wheel color and the rest are the red.

So i did them red . in reality they would have been alot easier if i could have one ly had to use one jack and some stands so that i could do more then one at a time so i would not be rushing on any of them. they would have had more time to dry between coats. But they do look sharp today so im happy. i figured i would walk out and see a mess LOL

that paint is self leveling also so it was a good thing for this it makes the brush strokes go away for the most part./

Old 08-02-2005, 01:03 PM

I painted mine about 5 months ago. It was a painless process and as you noted the stuff was self leveling and covered the calipers very well. I just cleaned them off this weekend and they still look just as good as they did when I painted them. What kind of paint did you use?

Let me know when your ALT goes south... lol

Old 08-02-2005, 04:17 PM

ORIGINAL: mickey

on mine the bow tie on the wheels are just wheel color and the rest are the red.

So i did them red . in reality they would have been alot easier if i could have one ly had to use one jack and some stands so that i could do more then one at a time so i would not be rushing on any of them. they would have had more time to dry between coats. But they do look sharp today so im happy. i figured i would walk out and see a mess LOL

that paint is self leveling also so it was a good thing for this it makes the brush strokes go away for the most part./
I'm trippin', the only blue bowtie on mine is on the trunk lid. And I really like how the red calipers stand out, hmmmm........................

Old 08-03-2005, 09:04 AM
Photobucket
15 Year Member

yeha i like the way mine look now they stand out but then they also show you just how small the rears are LOL

I know we can upgrade the front form a camaro to ours but wonder if you can use thier rears also i think they are about the size as our fronts are for thier rear calippers. that would be nice bet it would take some distance off the stopping then LOL
60-0 in 2 foot LOL

Old 08-03-2005, 09:18 AM
Photobucket
15 Year Member

hey Tav. SHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!! it dont know it has to go south yet and im not going to tell it ethier LOL

But actually it turned out pretty good. but the coils on the other hand look like my kids did them for me LOL
i guess i didnt get them clean enough or somthign the paint looks terriebel on them so i guess i will have a reason to oredr new ones in red now LOL
i also would liek to get some new plug wires that are diffrent color them blk.

but they paint i used was a kit they had here locally made by GTX it came with the paint the hardner and the cleaner all you have to have is a mixing cup that is not plastic and a brush.
words to the wise dont get a cheap brush you will have hairs in the paint and have to shave them later LOL

I tried one brush and it tore have the bristels out of it so i had to wipe it off and start over but it was pretty easy to do it was not dry yet/.

Old 08-03-2005, 12:34 PM

I painted mine when I upgraded my braking system. They were off the car with no pads in them so it was very easy. I wire brushed them, then used brake cleaner spray to clean them. It cleans very well and leaves no residue. I used 1200 degree engine paint, and put two coats on. I used red to match the car. I also taped off the piston and bleeder valve for a good, clean look. I'm very happy with them. It's been about 4 or 5 months and they still look good. Of course the carbon fiber pads I used don't create alot of brake dust so that helps. Ther's a picture in my photo section if you want to see the finished product.

Old 08-05-2005, 09:11 AM
Photobucket
15 Year Member

they look nice . Mine turned out pretty good and i have to say im happy with them. I also used that same paint and did the alt. It turned out really good also.

But the coils look like crap LOL

I will be replacing those anyway so i can get the mallory set up i think . Or if i can find some in a diffrent color that are good i might think of them to.

Old 08-05-2005, 03:05 PM

ORIGINAL: rchurch

I painted mine when I upgraded my braking system. They were off the car with no pads in them so it was very easy. I wire brushed them, then used brake cleaner spray to clean them. It cleans very well and leaves no residue. I used 1200 degree engine paint, and put two coats on. I used red to match the car. I also taped off the piston and bleeder valve for a good, clean look. I'm very happy with them. It's been about 4 or 5 months and they still look good. Of course the carbon fiber pads I used don't create alot of brake dust so that helps. Ther's a picture in my photo section if you want to see the finished product.
you have carbon fiber brake pads? More info please

Quick Reply: Painted calipers