General Monte Carlo Talk Talk about the Monte Carlo. Does not have to be your Monte. Can include pics and games.

The "Other" Monte - Dad's '96 Z34 SS

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2010, 09:37 PM
Monte Of The Month -- September 2009
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Cool The "Other" Monte - Dad's '96 Z34 SS

so, last weekend i posted a thread over in off topic detailing how many mouse condos i've found in our other monte, and i was kinda suprised how many of you posted that you didint even know i had the car! then it dawned on me, i dont think i ever gave it a proper introduction to my MCF family. untill now

the car is actually my dad's. after i bought mine, he liked it so much he began to hunt for one to call his own. while working on a jobsite ( he is a heavy equipment mechanic and travels where the macheine is) he spotted this one sitting at the edge of a feild, covered in snow. he managed to contact the owner, who said that he was interested in selling for $500. so of course he bought it. for $500, how could you go wrong? turns out, pretty bad, lol.

but first the good stuff - the car is a '96 monte Z34, with about every possible option avalible when it was ordered, only missing a sunroof. black with a black leather interior, and ALL the goodies. plus, it has a ground F/X package on it, which we think was eather factory or more likely a dealership option, and its really cool. front airdam with foglights, sideskirts, and a rear bumper peice, and leattered up with SS decals. its a damn good looking car. runs strong, trans shifts better than the one in my car.

but once we got it home, it sat in the sun while temps warmed up. and that brought out the smell. imagine a pet store full of mice where the cages are never cleaned and the heat is on in the middle of august and that should begin to give you an idea of how bad it is. hopefully we can get the stink out, but if not the car is only good as a fancy lawn orniment.

ok, time for some pics

where we first found it:

and last fall right after a wash. still looks the same today, except i replaced the drivers side headlight asseblely with a new one

Old 06-05-2010, 09:53 PM

man that is so unlucky about the smell. be careful though, mice and rats can carry a fatal disease in their feces. just inhaling this is bad.

Hantavirus i think its called.

Old 06-05-2010, 10:06 PM

someone acutally just told me that today. i acutally wear a painters resporator anytime im working in the car caus it smells so damn bad, i just kinda figured it HAD to be bad for my health. right now i've been removing the interior to get everything cleaned up & hopefully get rid of the smell, but i've got no idea if it'll work.

Old 06-05-2010, 10:25 PM

Good luck on getting rid of the smell Looks nice though

Old 06-05-2010, 10:40 PM
Monte Of The Month - February 2010
10 Year Member

Ryan, was that really an SS edition or did someone just put the SS decals on it? also, did your buddies boomerang ever come back yet

Old 06-05-2010, 11:53 PM

Monte Of The Month -- June 2010

that's a good looking monte most def! could do without the smell though huh lol

Old 06-06-2010, 03:07 AM

Awesome car! I'll take one please!

Try the scent extinguishing gels cups (they have a better name than that). I've used them in many cars including foul smelling trunks and cabs. You might need quite a few of them! LOL! If that and a whole case of Febreeze don't work, it's time to tear out the interior and get something else in there... It's far too nice a car to give up on, keep up the great work, and get that car back to life!!!

Old 06-06-2010, 05:33 PM

chris, im like '90% sure its a dealership installed kit, because i've found others on google with the same one, also badged as an SS. i woulda said someone put it on themselves if not for the SS decals that are on almost every other one with that kit in the same spots.

#2627, we've actually pulled the interior about 90% out of it at this point, there were so many mouse nests ( 6 as of today). the sheetmetal is going to get cleaned & painted to seal in any smell, the carpets are going to be cleaned & re- dyed, the plastic panels are gonna get major scrubbed & probibly have the backs painted, and everything else we just bought at the junkyard today, and the old stinky crap is going to the dumpster. only things going back in as they came out are the seats & plastic panels, and at least 1 of the seats is getting a new ( used) , not ripped cushion.

Old 06-06-2010, 07:17 PM
Monte Of The Month -- February 2009
2009 Monte Of The Year

for some odd reason i been liking the 5th gen lately specially the Z34 model. thinking about ditching my DD honda and pick one up for work/comuter car.

Old 06-06-2010, 07:28 PM
Monte Of The Month - February 2010
10 Year Member

thanks for the info Ryan, I really like the Z34!!!!

Originally Posted by silverbullitt
for some odd reason i been liking the 5th gen lately specially the Z34 model. thinking about ditching my DD honda and pick one up for work/comuter car.
I thought the same thing soon after I bought my monte, still would love to have a 3.8 Z34 someday...

Quick Reply: The "Other" Monte - Dad's '96 Z34 SS