General Monte Carlo Talk Talk about the Monte Carlo. Does not have to be your Monte. Can include pics and games.

6th Gen ('00-'05): Opinions?? Try and sell or no?

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2014, 05:58 AM
1 Year Member
Default Opinions?? Try and sell or no?

Ok guys so I have been thinking about trying to sell my 04 as a rolling chassis with a lot of parts for someone else who wants to take it on. I may keep it and fix it, although that will take me a long time, so more or less just seeing what people think. It's a 04 SS with the L67 supercharged motor(not running). Would need the bottom half and the heads. But could use the XP Cam, Double roller chain. Also has tubular control arms already installed, polly mounts all the way around, Intake, ported rebuilt M90, 3.3 pulley, high output black alternator, Mez flexplate, polished aluminum valve covers, two sets of rims and tires, HID headlights and fog lights, Tubular trailing arms, ZZP headers and downpipe with electronic cutout, flowmaster super 44 mufflers for when cutout is closed. And Im sure I'm forgetting a few little things. So basically what is needed is a Trans rebuild with some upgraded parts and new block and heads. So now the question. Do I try and sell it or keep it and take my time fixing it which would take a few years?

Old 01-30-2014, 08:14 AM
Monte Of The Month -- January 2014
1 Year Member

Originally Posted by Yellowjacket
Ok guys so I have been thinking about trying to sell my 04 as a rolling chassis with a lot of parts for someone else who wants to take it on. I may keep it and fix it, although that will take me a long time, so more or less just seeing what people think. It's a 04 SS with the L67 supercharged motor(not running). Would need the bottom half and the heads. But could use the XP Cam, Double roller chain. Also has tubular control arms already installed, polly mounts all the way around, Intake, ported rebuilt M90, 3.3 pulley, high output black alternator, Mez flexplate, polished aluminum valve covers, two sets of rims and tires, HID headlights and fog lights, Tubular trailing arms, ZZP headers and downpipe with electronic cutout, flowmaster super 44 mufflers for when cutout is closed. And Im sure I'm forgetting a few little things. So basically what is needed is a Trans rebuild with some upgraded parts and new block and heads. So now the question. Do I try and sell it or keep it and take my time fixing it which would take a few years?
So wait, im assuming it needs LIM and head gaskets and a Trans build? What exactly happened to it?

Old 01-30-2014, 08:27 AM
Monte Of The Month -- May 2012
Monte Of The Year 2012
Monte Of The Month -- February 2017
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Guess it depends on your money situation and storage abilities. Are you just tired of the build and want to move on to something that is already running? You sure have been through the gauntlet with your car, isn't that the second modified engine you have popped? Sure would be frustrating, especially if you don't have another fun vehicle to roll around in while your doing your third build.

Old 01-30-2014, 09:44 PM

IMO selling it as is would be crazy. I'd bet you'd lose your butt on it. Aftermarket mods get a very small return when reselling them on the car, and you're really going to get hit anyways for it not running, especially if the whole powertrain is shot (needs a whole short block and a trans).

I would think your best bet would be to offload all of the aftermarket parts you can onto the forums. Hopefully you saved your stock parts to put back in, otherwise- hit up a junkyard, or locals parting a wrecked monte out, or even the forums- and get the car back as close to stock as possible. That'll get you the best return on your mods.

Next, you really need to get the car running to get much more than scrap price out of it. Blue book is just above $4k for a running, driving car. A powertrain that doesn't work drops the condition immediately to poor condition, which is way lower than that. If you're lucky, maybe you could get a flipper to give you $1000 or $1500 or something if the body is in good shape, but the large bulk of car buyers aren't going to want to buy a car that doesn't run (even less when you're talking the whole engine is toast, vs a car that has just one failed part like a starter or PCM or something).

I would try and pick up the cheapest 3800/4t65 you can, and drop it in. Doesn't have to be an L67/4t65HD, just get a basic L36/4t65 as long as it runs. At least that way the car would run and drive again.

If you can't do that- I'd bet you'd be better off parting the whole car out, especially if it's in decent shape body wise.

Last edited by bumpin96monte; 01-30-2014 at 09:49 PM.
Old 01-30-2014, 09:59 PM

I'll buy it for 300

Old 01-30-2014, 10:35 PM

How much for alum covers, ported m90, mez flex

Old 01-31-2014, 08:11 AM

Sounds like you're not in a financial position to either fix the motor/trans or replace with stock pieces. I would take off the performance parts that you can, sell and recoup cost, and then sell it as a rolling chassis without the motor or trans.

Old 01-31-2014, 10:26 PM
1 Year Member

Yea it sucks. I know I am going to loose my *** on this no matter which way I try to sell it. All the parts are off it. and a lot of the performance parts have 0 miles on them as I had started getting things rolling to fix her before hitting a financial wall.

Old 01-31-2014, 11:03 PM

How much for the parts I listed

Old 02-01-2014, 06:04 PM
1 Year Member

I will let you know as soon as I decide exactly what I'm doing. I put this up just to get opinions for now. If I do decide to sell I'll message you first with those parts.

Quick Reply: 6th Gen ('00-'05): Opinions?? Try and sell or no?