General Monte Carlo Talk Talk about the Monte Carlo. Does not have to be your Monte. Can include pics and games.

Ooops, We Did it Again! : )

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2011, 04:13 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default Ooops, We Did it Again! : )

Right now we are traveling back from North Carolina (we live 7.5 hours away in KY) and bought another Craigslist rescue! We have an '01, '03, and 87 SS, but when I was younger my love was the burgundy Luxury Sport CL I had. Over a decade later, I can't believe how hard they have become to find! So, already being borderline overextended financially with Montes, and well, life too, I set out to find a cheap rescue. I have always wanted to make it look exactly like the two-tone red and silver one with the checkered rims on the cover of the 64-88 Chiltons manual, so this is our new project! The requirement was it had to have the burgundy interior with all power options. So, we found the one below....I know, it looks really bad right now!!!.... on Craigslist and almost didn't buy it because we traveled quite far a couple times to look at them only to be disappointed. So we decided to take a chance and again, buy sight unseen and pick up...bottom price was only $900.00! We love it! The carpet, interior door panels and backseat are in beautiful shape. The outside is crying for PAINT but actually, the body is almost perfect, all damage already repaired, ready for primer and paint. Found the elusive checkered rims also on Craigslist in great shape for $125.00 for all 4. Need some advice for the following, however:

What will be required for us, with almost no experience, to cut cost and paint this ourselves? (OMG...)

Some of the plastic interior molding was spray painted black. Can I use anything to remove the paint without hurting the plastic or should I just spray paint it over with burgundy paint?

The front seats have considerable fading...can I just dye them with Rit or
is there a better way of getting back the color without replacing them?

Dashboard cracks...what is the best way to fix them?

Parts wishlist:

The rubber molding with chrome trim that goes on the doors and the fenders just before and after the doors

A headliner, yes, the whole headliner!

Center hubs (4) for the checkered rims with the Monte symbol

Various miscellaneous interior parts for 86-88 Luxury Sports

Thank you for taking the time to read this and all your help!!!! You'e all the best!!!

Attached Thumbnails Ooops, We Did it Again!  : )-3002.jpg   Ooops, We Did it Again!  : )-3001.jpg  
Old 09-24-2011, 04:19 PM
Monte Of The Month -- August 2011
Monte Of The Month -- April 2014
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

Looks like a great project car. Glad she got a good home

Old 09-24-2011, 04:28 PM
Monte Of The Month -- September 2010
10 Year Member

looks like it could be a good car for sure!

Old 09-24-2011, 04:44 PM

Good luck, keep us posted. I really want to see what the final product will look like.

Old 09-24-2011, 04:58 PM

Monte Of The Month - March 2010

Looks like a good project

Old 09-24-2011, 06:09 PM

Monte Of The Month -- March 2013

good find, enjoy the project.

Old 09-24-2011, 07:17 PM
STILL SLOW
Monte Of The Month -- May 2010
10 Year Member

Nice find!

Old 09-24-2011, 08:07 PM

Man you guys are hard core!!!! The headliner I guess in that year is cloth, glued to metal, or hung on ribs? I did the whole interior in my Impala, the seat covers I had to do twice, first time not tight enough. I'de have to say about the painted trim, to go ahead, prep, prime and repaint Burgundy. Good luck with her guys, and good hearing from you again!!

Mike

Old 09-24-2011, 08:21 PM
10 Year Member

Originally Posted by Warhorse
Man you guys are hard core!!!! The headliner I guess in that year is cloth, glued to metal, or hung on ribs? I did the whole interior in my Impala, the seat covers I had to do twice, first time not tight enough. I'de have to say about the painted trim, to go ahead, prep, prime and repaint Burgundy. Good luck with her guys, and good hearing from you again!!

Mike
Good to hear from you too!! I think we need to stay away from Craigslist for a little while...lol! (At least until these three are finished...hee hee)

Old 09-25-2011, 04:25 AM

Nice deal. And you don't live all that far from me! I go up 31E all the time when I go to Glasgow to visit my best friend from HS and his wife (also a good friend of mine). It cuts over 30 miles off as opposed to going the interstate, plus it's a pretty drive. So I may have to stop and see this in person sometime LOL. I actually got pulled over in Allen Co once haha. Sheriff deputy thought I was too close to the centerline. As I was pulling out my DL he saw my military ID and I'm pretty sure it clicked in his mind at that point WHY I don't drive very close to the edge of the road. So he checked things over, thanked me for my service, and sent me on my way. Looking forward to seeing the progress on this. Nice pickup btw. My big ugly truck is a 93 Suburban LOL.

Quick Reply: Ooops, We Did it Again! : )