General Monte Carlo Talk Talk about the Monte Carlo. Does not have to be your Monte. Can include pics and games.

Okay. I Need Some Answers

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2008, 04:37 PM
rj
15 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default Okay. I Need Some Answers

I've noticed a puddle under the pass side of my '06 Monte in the front.

First I thought it was from parking my daily driver in the barn next to it. But when I stick my fingers in the puddle it's not water. Thicker then water and too slick to be it.

But it seems to be clear unless that dexcool coolant looks this way?

What could it be? Pwr steering fluid?

Anyone?

Old 01-29-2008, 08:00 PM
Default RE: Okay. I Need Some Answers

Dex cool looks like aPumpkin has been bleeding aroudn your car. it is most of the time Ornage.

Power stering fluids are normally red and actually the same as tranny fluid mos tof the time.

the only thing i can think of that is normally clear that is thicker then water and oh sorry were talking cars adn it is not clear,

Oh brake fluids are clear mos tof the itme.

I would be looking to see if your master cyclinder is low. If so i would be defently getting in to the stealership and having them checking it out and or fixing this.

Old 01-30-2008, 11:36 AM
rj
15 Year Member

I called the srvc department of the Chevy dealer last evening. They just happened to still be open.

The guy on the phone said it's not unusual for the pwr steering fluid to be clear from the factory. So maybe something in the pwr steering system is leaking?

Either way it = not good.

I should have taken the car down this morning to have them look it over, but I thought the weather guy said that "S" word for today? So far........ none has fallen. It's sunny & cold out.

Old 01-30-2008, 12:41 PM

I had a similar leak on a car about 10 years ago and it was from the air conditioning.A gasket went bad,all the freon leaked out and brought the oil along with it.It was almost a clear color.

Old 01-30-2008, 12:51 PM

[align=center]Hi `RJ,[/align][align=center][/align][align=center]I search for recall on the Monte Power Steering & [/align][align=center]couldn't find any results, but a few posts on the subject.[/align]

Manufacturer Recall Campaigns
[/i](Contains several problem items)
you may want to look them over before
you go in for service. Good Luck on your leak : )

[align=center]January 30 , 2008[/align]
[align=center][:-][/align][align=center]http://www.arifleet.com/Recall.html[/align][align=center][/align][align=center]&[/align][align=center]power steering [/align]
Status: offline, My power steering is on my 2006 monte carlo leaking and making noise like a grunt and squeal. The lines up top are dry but everything else ...
www.chevroletforum.com/m_55099/tm.htm - 38k - Similar pages

Hope it helps,
`Space

Old 01-31-2008, 01:45 AM

7th gens do have a problem with a power steering hose on the passenger side RJ. Put a old newspaper down under the hose that connects through the cradle, then fire her up and give the wheels a few turns. Then go grab the paper. If there's drips, feel up toward the aforementioned line... if it's wet, it's prolly split. warranty replacement in like 30 minutes if they have the part.

Old 01-31-2008, 10:59 AM
rj
15 Year Member

The car hasn't moved in over a week now so it can't be water trapped in the body. Plus it didn't rain or snow the last time it was driven for this to happen anyways.

The dealer said to bring it by today about 1:30. So I'll see what they find?

Wonder........ if maybe I should dip a clean paper towel in this puddle, place it in a plastic bag and take it with me? So they car see for themselves?

Old 01-31-2008, 11:13 AM

You should do the Paper Towel trick right away.
Make one for yourself.
One to bring in with the car.
And a third to do forensics with ... You can hold it under a light bulb and see if it evaporates. And you can put a match to it and see if it burns.

No matter what it is ... wipe it all up and keep an eye on that area if you have pets. If it is coolant ... the pets will lap it up because it tastes good to them and it a poison to cats and dogs.

Old 01-31-2008, 11:19 AM
rj
15 Year Member

Thanks for the information, Rick. [sm=smiley20.gif]

Say........ think I can get the FBI to do DNA testing on it for me?
[sm=icon_rofl.gif]

Old 02-02-2008, 10:46 AM
rj
15 Year Member

I forgot to post. I got off work thrusday morning and called the dealer. They said to bring the car down about 1:30 that day. I thought it nice they got me in that soon.

They looked the car over but couldn't find any leaks. (figures)

They even walked me back to the shop and let me look under the car. Unless the mechanic cleaned the car, it was dry. So what was leaking is anyone's guess?

I did get complimented by the mechanic on how clean the underside of my car was. He said he wished more were that clean when he worked on them.

Quick Reply: Okay. I Need Some Answers