General Monte Carlo Talk Talk about the Monte Carlo. Does not have to be your Monte. Can include pics and games.

O5 Tony Stewart edition. What is it worth?

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2013, 08:32 PM
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default O5 Tony Stewart edition. What is it worth?

Local car lot has one of these for sale. I stopped and looked at it and its in pretty good shape with only a few small dings and scratches. It has 81,000 miles on it and they are asking $11,900 for it which seems high to me. I like the black and orange theme of this car, probably more than my Dale Jr. edition. This is the first one I have seen up close. It does have the signature floor mats and head rests and appears to be fully loaded. Did these cars have the special front license plate cover because this car does not have it or at least it's not on the car. Very nice car overall.

Wayne

Old 02-05-2013, 08:41 PM
THE JUDGE
Monte Of The Month -- November 2015
Monte Of The Month -- March 2012
10 Year Member

The price is a little high - 4 years ago I was looking for a TS edition with half the miles on it at CarMaxx and it was only $12,000. It's probably worth around 9K. The plate filler was black and I think it had his #20 decal on it.

Old 02-05-2013, 08:58 PM

Monte Of The Month - March 2010

id say about 9500 or so

Old 02-05-2013, 09:02 PM
Monte Of The Month -- July 2011
Monte Of The Month -- December 2016
10 Year Member

Here's one for $7400
LINK:2005 Chevrolet Monte Carlo Supercharged SS Tony Stewart Signature
Completely rebuilt motor on 12/24/2008 (50,759 miles on rebuilt motor)
o Completely rebuilt transmission (Paid $2,787 on 10/29/2012. 1 year warranty included)
o New power steering pump (12/8/2012. 1 year warranty included)
o Full Instrument Cluster rebuild (1/3/2013. 2 year warranty included)

Old 02-05-2013, 11:40 PM
Monte Of The Month -- September 2010
10 Year Member

Just remember you're buying a car that has the number and colors that are no longer being used by that driver. Still excellent cars, just seems to have less meaning IMO.

If you're alright with that, I'd personally be looking to spend around $8-10k with low miles.

Old 02-06-2013, 12:25 AM

I paid 11,500 for an intimidator with 68k, only 2 scratches both less then an inch, and opted for an additional warantee, put me at 14,000. This was a year ago and it blue booked for 12,500. I would say if it had no scratches and came with the original certificate yes. Mine came with the original paperwork and build sheet. With scratches and no certificate which you will not be able to get otherwise I would say 8,500-9,500. If you do buy it buy a warantee cus it saved me money and I only have 10k left on warantee. Your gaskets will leak and it is an expensive fix at the dealer.

Old 02-06-2013, 12:29 AM

BTW 05 TS fully loaded with dual power-heated seats blue books for 12k in perfect condition. so 11 is a bit high. other intimidators i have seen dont have heated seats so im assuming it is an addition option.

Old 02-06-2013, 06:20 PM

I stopped and looked at it again and actually talked to the owner of the car lot. It did have a few small issues. The interior smelled like cigarette smoke which is almost a deal killer right there since I don't smoke and hate the smell of it. On the driver's side seat, the leather was pulling away from the side airbag. The fuse box cover didn't seem to want to stay flush with the side of the instrument panel.

It had a very small fluid leak up front somewhere. It looked like it was coming from one of the small hoses that runs next to the bottom part of the radiator. In the trunk, the carpet stuff that covers the passenger side inner fender was not attached and was leaning over. It did have the cargo net though.

It did not have the front license plate cover or the certificate of Authenticity but did have the original window sticker. The car did sticker for less than my 2004 Dale Jr. edition.

The car started up fine and had no unusual noises. It did not appear that the intake gasket was leaking yet. Car also had new tires.

It still was a pretty nice car but IMHO not worth the asking price or even close. The guy would not give me a bottom dollar, just wanted to know what I would offer. I asked the guy for his card and told him I would think about it.

The cigarette smoke turned me off pretty bad and I told the owner that it was one thing that I didn't like about the car. He said that they might be able to get the smell out but I'm not so sure.

Wayne

Old 02-06-2013, 07:28 PM
Taz

Monte Of The Month -- March 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

It should also have the same wheels as your Dale Jr edition. Except the center cap will have a silver bowtie instead of a red one.

The 2005 TS edition was also supercharged like the two 2004 signature series Montes. But unlike the other 6th gen signature series Montes, the TS edition didn't hold it's value as well as the others.

Tony Stewart was popular. But not as popular as Jeff Gordon, and Dale Sr & Jr Earnhardt. So the TS edition was never in as much demand as the others. And it really lost value when Tony left the #20 team, and the #20 car became a Toyota.

The TS edition is also the only 6th gen signature series that never had a 1/18th scale model made of it.

But there could be advantages to this. The lack of demand for these cars, and the lower number of TS editions produced, could mean they're more likely to be a collectors item years from now.

The TS edition does have some nice touches that I wish Chevy would've done in the other signature series Montes. Like the orange stitching, and the use of the #20 font for the numbers in the speedometer.

If you can get it for a good price, it might be something to consider.

Old 02-07-2013, 05:11 PM

It did have the same rims as my Dale Jr. They were a little scuffed up though. I didn't get the sense that he would come off the price that much. He said that he looks up the vehicles online and uses the net price to price his. I can't remember what site he uses though.

Like I said, the cigarette smell is pretty strong and is a real turn off for me. The other thing that I got to thinking about is the money that I have put into mine for maintainence and repairs.

I had the intake gaskets replaced with the latest version as well as the valve cover gaskets. It also has new plugs, wires, air and cabin filters, gas cap, fuel filter, thermostat, pre-cat O2 sensor, coolant change, pcv valve, radiator cap, tires, replica rims, Borla cat-back, tranny filter and fluid change, new battery and some vacumm hoses that were dry rotted. There might be some stuff I missed. My car also has the certificate, front filler plate, and the original window sticker along with all of the original manuals. My Onstar has also been updated to digital. Of course the 05 is already digital ready.

I'm probably better off keeping what I have than getting something different. I'm **** when it comes to maintainence and I would want to do all of the maintence things to this car that I've done to mine. Plus my car is almost payed off.

Wayne

Quick Reply: O5 Tony Stewart edition. What is it worth?