General Monte Carlo Talk Talk about the Monte Carlo. Does not have to be your Monte. Can include pics and games.

New Member - Factory 4 speed '78 Monte

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2012, 04:54 PM
Default New Member - Factory 4 speed '78 Monte

Hi guys;

Great forum and I have a quick question. I did my research and all I can find is that GM made about 1700 factory V-8 4 speeds.

Well, I think I have one on the line. I checked the VIN for it being a V-8
1z37u8k49**** and I see it has a Saginaw 4 speed and buckets.

Anyways. My question is. Are these rare? Is a good example worth $4000?

It doesn't have the original engine, but a good later 350 engine.

thanks
chuck

PS: It also has the build sheet with 4 speed manual as transmission.

Last edited by DeadGuy; 09-09-2012 at 04:58 PM.
Old 09-09-2012, 06:32 PM

If they only made 1700 in 1978 I would think there aren't too many left on the road...so I would say yes they are rare.

Old 09-09-2012, 08:56 PM

Rare but not valuable yet. I had a 72 olds 98 2 door hardtop coupe 455 all original 38k miles (45k when sold). It was only worth 9k with 0 imperfections was a perfect 10 surviver still had paperwork from factory (I am big on that have buildsheet for my intimidator and all). The cool thing is a 5 speed monte is fun to drive and rare but not very valuable.

Last edited by Mr Grizzly Mint; 09-09-2012 at 08:59 PM.
Old 09-09-2012, 11:24 PM

Monte Of The Month -- March 2013
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

I think 4000 is a good price if its in OK condition. Having the build sheet is pretty cool too. Being a limited amount produced it is rare but i'm not sure if that add to the value. Post some pics when you can.

Old 09-09-2012, 11:53 PM

Monte Of The Month -- February 2013
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

I would say thats unusual...with a 4 speed saginaw (GM standard issue)

Yours is actually the 1st one i have seen with a 4 speed!
Very cool...and welcome to the house that Monte Carlos Live!

Greetings and Salutations...

Old 09-10-2012, 09:10 AM

Monte Of The Month - March 2010

Id say its worth 4k if in good well maintained condition

Old 09-10-2012, 11:50 AM

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/315677...et-monte-carlo
As an owner of one of these factory 4 speeds cars, my advice would be to by it for the $4K as long as its sound and in pretty fair condition. These cars are pretty darn light to begin with and make great drivers with a warmed up small block. I've owned mine since it was new... almost 34 years and can tell you all about it, whats real and what's not and so on. They never came with a hurst shifter, its clearly aftermarket and most likely just the shifter handle. I still have my original shifter also though not in the car. As you've probably heard, the Saginaw is weak at best, it works well with the 305's low power though you'll soon gernade it with any HP in front of it. I swapped mine out soon after installing a 350 (GM ZZ3 motor) in mine in favor of a B/W Super T-10, much better though it did require loosing the original shifter mounting assembly, which made the original shifter obsolete and forced me to move the shifter hole back about 6 inches. I kept the original trans and pieces though let the low performance motor go long ago. The T-10 or a Muncie works great though with these few minor mods. Another trouble area are the bumper rub strips. horrible design, probably the most troublesome issue with the cars exterior. They delaminate, damage easily and are extremely expensive if you can find some NOS pieces, I bought a set 15 years ago for $500+, and these third gen cars looks like junk without them. Really a bonehead design. Other than that, its extremely enjoyable, hot roddable due to light weight and well designed 4 link rear... and overall suspension design, and overall is great for a comfortable well mannered street ride that will surprise a few earlier A body cars and few Mustangs along the way. I also had found documentation years ago that said Chev produced 1,719 4 speeds though did not differentiate between V6 and the 305s, there were no 350s and all had the Vega/Monza/base Camaro Saginaw gear. In '79 they were all V6s if you wanted to shift for yourself. You could also get both years with Saginaw 3 speed, app these Monte's were all V6s though and they also were in that 1,700 to 1,900 range if I remember correctly. If you're wanting more of a show piece and are willing to spend more I could maybe be talked into parting with mine. I've put about 8,000 miles on it since I put the motor in it in '96, the paint is original and in showroom new condition, as is rest of car, though it would take a bit more than $4K to make it happen. Car has been garaged and maticulessly cared for, currently has 54K Miles, has great looking original interior with T-top and has won many best of Monte Class awards at Super Chevy Shows since the mid 80s. Good luck, I know you'll enjoy it if you do get it.

Old 09-10-2012, 01:50 PM

Wow, thanks for all of the replies. I just spoke with the owner and I'm probably picking it up tomorrow night.

It's a driver but totally rust free. I'm in my mid fifties now so I'm not going to be pushing the tranny hard. I think I'll leave the Saginaw in it. That way I won't have to lose the console. This one has buckets and a console.

The build sheet says this is #46 out of a 500 car run. I think that is just a usual stat put out weekly or monthly correct? Talking about the assembly line?

I'll post lots more pics after I pick it up. I also have a '65 Rambler Marlin and a '40 Dodge street rod so I'm not even sure I'll be keeping this one. I just think it's cool. I had a beautiful '72 Monte years ago.

For this price, if it doesn't trip my fancy, I'll just pass it along to an enthusiast.

buds
chuck

PS: You 4 speed Monte is beautiful. I've searched and found 2 others but they all had bench seats.

Old 09-10-2012, 02:38 PM

nice. I wish montes were 5 speeds in 6th gen.

Old 09-12-2012, 09:23 PM

I KNEW IT WOULD happen!!!

I waited on him all day to call and I finally wrote him 2 emails saying "Please don't leave me hanging" and they finally write back "Sorry SOLD"

After cutting the deal with me. I even said OK we have a deal right?

What a crock. Like a fool I told him how rare the car was and how much I liked it.

I also believe in Karma.. It will catch up someday.

chuck

Quick Reply: New Member - Factory 4 speed '78 Monte