Monte Carlo Forum - Monte Carlo Enthusiast Forums

Monte Carlo Forum - Monte Carlo Enthusiast Forums (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/)
-   General Monte Carlo Talk (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/general-monte-carlo-talk-9/)
-   -   New to me, Monte SS (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/general-monte-carlo-talk-9/new-me-monte-ss-10321/)

Yonco 08-14-2008 08:18 PM

New to me, Monte SS

Ive been debating on getting a car for a daily driver for a while since i sold my GTP to pay off the mustang. I finally wrecked the mustang again(Just put on a new front clip/fender/headlight today to fix it) and decided it was about time for a Beater. After looking for GTP's i came across a silver 02 Monte SS At a local auction and got it for 6100$ Its real clean and doesn't need much work, Although it has one fogged headlight and a slight bend on the lower front bumper clip under the lower grill about half the size of a baseball. The car has 80k miles. Interior is Flawless and its a really clean. I already have my thoughts on a m90 SS kit but i should probably leave the racing up to the mustang.The monte even looks aerodynamic, its hard to believe a mustang as square as a refridgerator can hit 150 and stay stable! I also noticed on a startup that the key i was given didnt have a keyless entry, Was that an option or a standard. I Was reading online and saw some on ebay listed for a 02 monte, if i buy that will it program in? I dont have a owners manual so i have to pick one of them up too!

First mods: GMPP Swaybars
Adding some black or red pinstriping
3" catted DP
FWI
Keyless entry Remote / owners manual
Tires
Full Tuneup/ AL 605's/ Tranny-Oil-Coolant Change/ 180 Tstat <- wut else?
Poly Motor Mounts
**SSM90 From ZZP- After winter.

I should have these parts ordered within the next week and if you have any more ideas on anything simple. Please be feel free to add. Its just a cruiser and im still not sure if i even want to do the L67 top swap or a zzp kit, but i know i will sure miss the whine of my GTP. I Work across the parking lot from Morad parts co, which has a ton of l67's there and ive stopped by a few times fro other parts so one of these days i may walk out of there with a top swap, minus the heads and just use a modified l67 w/ injector LIM. The sad part is i will have to park it outside, due to my mustang staying indoors at all times. -Jon
http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j2...PICT0020-1.jpg

http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j2...PICT0021-1.jpg

BillFromTR 08-14-2008 09:05 PM

RE: New to me, Monte SS

Nice beater. Monte aint too bad either, lol

RickCoMatic 08-14-2008 11:57 PM

Eenee, meanee, mynee, moe ... I'll take the Monte. I don't like having somebody pull-up along-side at every damn red light and start tach-ing it up ... looking for a race. I'm sure the Mustang is a lot of fun to drive, and all like that ... but, I'm too old for that stuff and need the comfort you get at the wheel of a Monte Carlo.

BillFromTR 08-14-2008 11:58 PM

You know what they say..... If its too loud, your too old!

big_mecho13 08-15-2008 08:22 AM

Congrats on the new to you Monte.
If it is a DD no need to mod it. save the money and mod the stang.
Interesting to see a Ford guy get a Chevy. :D
Nice Mustang, I wish they had a bit more leg room.

Taz 08-15-2008 09:03 AM

Congrats on your 02 Monte. I like the optional rims that are on your car. Before spending money on engine mods, I'd save up and swap in the L67 engine and tranny. That brings you up to 240 HP (at the crank) from the 200 HP in the non-supercharged engine. Then you can build from there. Keep in mind the L67 is shared with the Grand Prix, so that opens up your possibilities for searches on performance parts.

rj 08-15-2008 11:45 AM

Taz, please learned me. The L69 is that the supercharged 3,8?

Nice Monte. You can get a restoration packet from Chevy which will tell you what your car came with. Such as: a/c, cruise, tilt, tach, heated seats, anti-lock, etc.

Or call GM/Canada and for $55 they will send you a list of everything your car came with on GM letter head.
Oh, the restoration packet is free.

I don't like having somebody pull-up along-side at every damn red light and start tach-ing it up ... looking for a race.

Rick, it can be a real pain.Do like I do. Pick and choose cause some just ain't worth it.

[sm=smiley20.gif][sm=loser.gif]

big_mecho13 08-15-2008 01:05 PM

Rick, it can be a real pain.Do like I do. Pick and choose cause some just ain't worth it.
Couldn't have said it better.

Just yesterday getting home from work. Sitting at a light two lane road waiting to make left. A scion Tc pulls in the right lane. we are on a slight uphill so while wating for the light he kept going forward then letting roll back and hitting the gas so the wheels would spin. For a second there I thought to take the turn signal off and dust him. but decided against it. Light turns green he goes I stay cuz I am turning left he gets about 4 cars and puts the flashers up, It was pretty funny. Dude is prolly posting his kill on the Scion boards LOL

Bigg J 08-15-2008 01:46 PM

LOL!! THAT IS HILARIOUS!! Yeah, I can see that being posted now. "Yo, I just murdered a 2007 SS Monte Carlo going uphill from a dead stop!" dum-dum.

Space 08-15-2008 02:49 PM

[align=center]

ORIGINAL: big_mecho13

Couldn't have said it better.

Just yesterday getting home from work. Sitting at a light two lane road waiting to make left. A scion Tc pulls in the right lane. we are on a slight uphill so while wating for the light he kept going forward then letting roll back and hitting the gas so the wheels would spin. For a second there I thought to take the turn signal off and dust him. but decided against it. Light turns green he goes I stay cuz I am turning left he gets about 4 cars and puts the flashers up, It was pretty funny. Dude is prolly posting his kill on the Scion boards LOL
[/align][align=center]http://www.yoursciontc.com/images/front/yoursciontc.jpg[/align][align=center]http://www.yoursciontc.com/images/ad...ing_468x60.jpg[/align][align=center]

Hey Guys, I just raced a 2007 All Black Monte Carlo V8 SS and smoked his butt.
I was going to stop and flame him, but he was some really big dude and his
eyes were Bigand Red. I kicked in my supercharger and he tried to catch me
but couldnt. I will post the vid later. Another win for our Scion TC

posted by kidScion on 8-14-08 @ 4:20pm[/align][align=center]
[/align][align=center]
http://www.yoursciontc.com/images/spacer.gif
[/align]

big_mecho13 08-15-2008 03:04 PM

Space you got link to that post? LOL
I cant find it on either site.
Not sure it is the same dude cuz my story didnt happen till 7pm yesterday he posted at 4;20pm
I do fit the description pretty well LOL 6'9' with red eyes from working on computers all day LOL.

Space 08-15-2008 03:11 PM

ORIGINAL: big_mecho13

Space you got link to that post? LOL
I cant find it on either site.
Not sure it is the same dude cuz my story didnt happen till 7pm yesterday he posted at 4;20pm
I do fit the description pretty well LOL 6'9' with red eyes from working on computers all day LOL.
LOL LOL LOL
L.K.
No that Scion post was a KidSpace Created Production :D:D:D:D
I just knew that you were a big guy : )
and that you drove a Black SS LOL
I was just having some fun with your post and Mod Bigg `J -Jason-
It still is funny, and thanks so much for the laughs
[sm=bustedsign.gif][sm=devilangel.gif][sm=bustedsign.gif][sm=drooldude.gif][sm=guilty.gif]

big_mecho13 08-15-2008 03:14 PM

I just got pwaned by the forum resident Alien.
LOL
I even registered at the scion forum to call out the dude.
LOL

big_mecho13 08-15-2008 03:15 PM

Thanks for the laugh Space, needed it. hectic at work going on vacation so a lot of stuff needs to be done.
I'll have a MCF withdraw for a week going to "God's Country" no cell reception so forget about the internet LOL.

Space 08-15-2008 03:27 PM

LOL L.K.,
Wish you a safe, fun vacation in God`s Country.
Take some pic`s and let us know how much
fun you had on your trip.
Are you taking your Awesome SS on the Trip ?
Oh, Watch Out for those Hot Rod ScionTCs LOL :D
EnJoy your Time Off
Look 4-ward to your return.
From the Bums and `Space

big_mecho13 08-15-2008 03:37 PM

Thanks space I'll take some pics and vids. I am taking the Monte. Itsgreat for long rides.
Oh the "God's Country" I stole from the movie The Great Outdoors, Dan Akroyd uses the term to describe that he is in the woods/mountainsLOL. Great old movie by the way.

rj 08-15-2008 07:49 PM

Yonco (Jon),

What part of Ohio are you from?

Taz 08-15-2008 10:53 PM

Yonko, How about posting your new Monte in your sig instead of the 'stang.

Silver Bullet 08-16-2008 06:21 PM

6100 bux sounds like a great deal .... i can see the baseball size "dent" in the front .... can that just be popped back out .... check on ebay the owners manual are on there quite a bit ..

Yonco 08-17-2008 08:16 PM

I am in Strongsville, 15 miles south of Cleveland. I go up to dragway 42 atleast 6 times a year and end up getting to norwalk once or twice. Those are the places i mostly see car fans. I am going to try popping the front dent out in a few days, i just got finished putting the mustang back together so now i can get onto the monte. I may put a picture of my monte for my sig, but my pride and joy is still 51% the mustang and that beats out the monte. Besides, i get a dozen "nice car's" a day driving the stang, and ive only had a total of 5 on my monte and you just happen to see them everywhere(theyre common) but nontheless i LOVE it, its a dream to drive, but its still lacking the M90 whine.Oncei get a few good pics of the monte, ill make up a sig! :D-Jon

mbusboom10 08-17-2008 10:03 PM

Nice Monte man! It's an insanely comfortable car to drive!! The only thing I hate about Monte Carlo's is the ground effects... the body design has alot of those concave curves and Chevy had to put retarded looking convex side skirts... I know the first thing to replace after I finish the engine in mine is a new body kit

rj 08-17-2008 11:56 PM

Sure, I know where Strongsville, OH is.

I live close to Dayton.

Besides, i get a dozen "nice car's" a day driving the stang, and ive only had a total of 5 on my monte and you just happen to see them everywhere(theyre common) but nontheless i LOVE it, its a dream to drive, but its still lacking the M90 whine.Oncei get a few good pics of the monte, ill make up a sig

Sorry but in this part of the state, you see 10,000 Stangs daily. THEY are the common ones. Not the Montes.

I'll bet we had a ton of people checking out the '03 Pace car today.

I know two teenage chicks liked it. They told me. [sm=smiley20.gif]

Taz 08-18-2008 09:27 AM

It's pretty much the same around here too RJ. You can't go one block without seeing a 'stang. Monte's of any generation are rare. But I'd have to say I see 5th gens the most, then 6th/7th gens a very close second, then 4th gens (my favorite). There are a couple of Monte's from gens 1-3, but not many. Maybe only one or two of each at the most.

People are always checking out the 4th gens around town. Also the "specialty" 6th gens around town too. There's one Jeff Gordon edition, a couple 2004 Intimidators, two Dale Jr's (including mine), one 2002 Dale Sr edition, and a couple pace cars (a 2000, and a 2002).

Most of the specialty 6th gens only come out in good weather only. Special occasion cars. I think the red 2000 pace car, and my Dale Jr are the only ones daily driven. So we get a lot of people looking, and making comments.

Nothing against the 'stang. It's a nice, fast car. But around here there's so many of them, people just don't pay much attention anymore. The new Challengers around town are getting the most attention right now. Can't wait for when the Camaro comes out! :)

Yonco 08-18-2008 06:25 PM

Im not saying theres no mustangs here, just not all clean/ spiffed up looking. I see a dozen stangs a day also, but mainly 6'ers and I think i need something on my monte to make it stand out. Any suggestions? At first i thought mabey some pinstriping but now im leaning torwards a new set of shoes and some white or yellow wall lettering. Then it'll look nascar! -Jon

Oh, also the mustang sounds like a BAMF cause of the whole v8 idea where an aftermarket exhaust is a real gem. My monte is still stock :eek:- not for long!

dustpusher 08-18-2008 11:05 PM

When you get new wheels are you going to sell the old ones?If you do I may be interested.

rj 08-19-2008 07:57 PM

Sunday my g/f Deb drug me to MI to see her parents. Her '03 Pace car got lots of compliments from admirers. We stopped at a car wash on the trip home (cause the car needs to look it's best) and just about everyone getting gasoline was staring at us wiping the car off after the wash.

Two teenage chicks came up to the car to tell me they thought it was cool.
[sm=icon_cheers.gif][sm=icon_rofl.gif]

If you want a different look to your Monte try Pheonix Graphics. They sell the Pace car decals. You can buy them seperately if you like.

The Winner Circle Montes are the rarer of the Signature Series Monte from what I can tell? Maybe you could purchase a set of these decals and put them on your Monte to make it stand out?

I tried to locate a pic of a Winner Circle Monte but couldn't locate one.

Neat web site. Lots of pics.
http://media.gm.com/us/chevrolet/en/...chevrolet.html