General Monte Carlo Talk Talk about the Monte Carlo. Does not have to be your Monte. Can include pics and games.

Need help deciding on new car

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2008, 10:44 PM
Default Need help deciding on new car

Before you read, i know you may be biased towards the monte carlo... but i figured you guys know more about them then anybody so your into is appreciated

Alright, i have narrowed my choices to two different cars a 2006 Pontiac grand prix, and a 2006 Chevy Monte Carlo. The Monte Carlo has a 3.9 L v6 with 242 horsepower, the grand prix a 3.8 v6 with 200 horsepower, the Monte Carlo looks to have better interior the exterior is still up for debate. The Pontiac does have a slight upper hand on mileage (30 vs 28). Heres the main question, i loved my little Neon, the handling was so sharp and i would love to have another car like it, which is the best handling car, the Monte Carlo might have more power, but if the Grand Prix is better in the bends i would like to know so i can make a decision with that in mind.

Also i am thinking about the 2006 Malibu Maxx SS, it has the same motor as the monte carlo, and has sharp handling along with great utility... just an after thought.

Old 02-26-2008, 11:05 PM
Default RE: Need help deciding on new car

Don't get the Maxx. They are having too many recalls right now. My neighbor has one, and his is at the shop every week for another recall, or another issue with the drivetrain.... Give them another few years to work out this whole new hatchback car thing, then look into them. I'd do the 3.9 Monte. They're powerful cars, with great mileage.

Old 02-26-2008, 11:05 PM

Oh, and welcome to the site! glad to have you aboard! As long as it's a GM vehicle, I'm sure you'll fit right in here =)

Old 02-26-2008, 11:09 PM

Handling will be roughly the same. I'm pretty open minded in general and this will be a tough call.

The Monte will give you alot more power and from what I've scene the 3.9 seems to be a very good engine. Another bonus is it's a coupe so its hot!!! Finally you will be accepted here.

The Grand Prix still has a good shot of power and the 3800 is friggin bullet proof. You will be looking at an engine that if you treat it right will easily hit 250,000 miles proven. They historically don't have any weird problems and there is a great aftermarket if you are into that thing. If you get a Grand Prix, KISS OFF and goto ClubGP where you belong!!! j/k

For the Malibu... umm.... well yeah.... it's a Malibu.

Seriously though I don't follow Malibu's so I have no clue. Once again the 3.9 "seems" to be a good engine and I haven't heard complaints, but it's only been in use for 2 years now where the 3800 has about 12+ on it.

Old 02-26-2008, 11:22 PM

I have a 2004 Monte LS. No Mods. No spoiler. Vinyl Roof; but that don't do nothing for total torque. I love this car just the way it is. It has all the power I'm ever going to need because I'm an old man and my street-racing days ended with the Nixon Administration!

I love the way this car handles and gets! I'm aching to find-out how she'd do in a quarter-mile. Good enough for me. When I stomp on it; it goes like heck. When I have the CD Playing and the Cruise Control set ... it's a joy to be behind the wheel.

I think you ought to be a Bow-Tie Chevy Guy; too. Get the Monte Carlo.

The young guys, in here, will tell you exactly what to do to wring-out every bit of power you can get out of it ... limited only by your bankroll and imagination.
Go for the style and grace.
Chicks will flock to you wanting to go to the Submarine Races and view them from the optional fold-down rear seats!
(Which could be fun ... unless you fill the trunk with speakers the size of John Deere Tractor Tires!)

Old 02-27-2008, 06:07 AM

Hi `Miller & welcome to the Monte Carlo Family
GM 3.8 has proven to be a bullet `proof engine, `if it is maintained.
I love the new 3.9L 242 HP VTT Engine.
I've had both. The 3.8 is 200 HP. If you have driven
them both, you can sure tell the difference.
My 3.9L averaged 23-24 MPG City/Hwy, but on trips
would get 29 MPG : ) The 3.8L was close to that.
I loved the power of the 3.9L vs the 3.8.
The 3.9L was only put in the Monte Carlo in the year 2006.
Personally, I'll take the 3.9L
[:-]Nice Rides [:-]
Miller, click on the below link for Monte Carlo Reviews/Test
for tech/spec/road tests.
Good Luck on your Choice, `Space
[align=center]https://montecarloforum.com/m_34860/tm.htm[/align]

Old 02-27-2008, 06:42 AM

Fallen to the Dark Side - Resident Ford Man
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

If the Grand Prix wasa supercharged GTP, I'd say go for that... but it's not. Personally, I don't like the 04+ Grand Prix's... i love the 97-03's though.

Keep in mind we are biased towards Monte Carlo's.... have you checked out the Pontiac G6? The GTP can come with a 6 speed manual anda 3.9.. I do'nt know about you.. but I would love a 6 speed in the Monte.

Old 02-27-2008, 10:47 AM

ORIGINAL: SpaceRider

[align=center]Hi `Miller & welcome to the Monte Carlo Family[/align][align=center][/align][align=center]GM 3.8 has proven to be a bullet `proof engine, `if it is maintained.[/align][align=center]I love the new 3.9L 242 HP VTT Engine.[/align][align=center]I've had both. The 3.8 is 200 HP. If you have driven[/align][align=center]them both, you can sure tell the difference.[/align][align=center]My 3.9L averaged 23-24 MPG City/Hwy, but on trips[/align][align=center]would get 29 MPG : ) The 3.8L was close to that.[/align][align=center]I loved the power of the 3.9L vs the 3.8.[/align][align=center]The 3.9L was only put in the Monte Carlo in the year 2006.[/align][align=center]Personally, I'll take the 3.9L[/align][align=center][:-]Nice Rides [:-][/align][align=center][/align][align=center][/align][align=center]Miller, click on the below link for Monte Carlo Reviews/Test[/align][align=center]for tech/spec/road tests.[/align][align=center]Good Luck on your Choice, `Space[/align][align=center]https://montecarloforum.com/m_34860/tm.htm[/align]
hey thanks for getting that picture for me... how do i put that as the signature?

I am sad to say i will be parting ways with two of them shortly, the jeep cherokee is up for sale now only has 74,000 on it but i need better gas mileage...

the taurus is going up this summer, when people are out looking for sporty cars... i say sporty because it is, its the special edition SHO with the 32 valve, DOHC V8 assembled by yamaha, it has adaptive suspension so its softer during normal driving but stays firm in the bends... gotta say it turns heads when people hear the sound of a loud V8 coming from a taurus

the charger will aways be with me... i had it since i was 14 and have no intentions of getting rid of it now, once i am out of college it will recieve a full restoration

also thanks for all the info guys, please keep the opinions coming!

[IMG]local://upfiles/3783/169251FB70D240D7A597F5FEC7FE40DF.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/3783/8BE6CB06C7CF4D9DBE756D44CD71716C.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/3783/DE61FC609861415BBF6865492CBE63ED.jpg[/IMG]

Old 02-27-2008, 10:50 AM

I have an 06 Monte Carlo LTZ w/ 3.9 and I love it. Great power, good mpg and the car is pretty sexy looking

Old 02-27-2008, 11:08 AM

[align=center]
ORIGINAL: miller

[/align][align=center][:-]Nice Rides [:-][/align][align=center][/align][align=center][/align][align=center]... how do i put that as the signature?
[/align][align=center][:-][/align][align=center]To get your pic in `sig[/align][align=center][:-][/align][align=center][IMG]put your photo link here[/IMG][[/align]

Quick Reply: Need help deciding on new car