General Monte Carlo Talk Talk about the Monte Carlo. Does not have to be your Monte. Can include pics and games.

My Monte's hurting

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2006, 03:34 PM
Default My Monte's hurting

Hey all. It's been a while since I've been here last.

I just finished paying off my car 3 months ago, and now I don't think I can afford to keep her alive.

Lower intake manifold gasket is going. I've got oil in my coolant and vice-versa. The leak is starting to go external (corrosion on intake). Just replaced my water pump about 2 months ago (leaking gasket). The upper and lower gaskets plus valve cover gaskets are gonna run about $90.00. I figure I'll get the head kit and do the head gasket while I have most of the engine disassembled at a cost of $160.00.

While the cost isn't too bad I just don't have the cash. I bought my gf a 2003 Malibu last Xmas. Her Ford had both front springs broken, and we didn't want the car anymore, so we traded it in. Throw in usual life expenses and I have little cash left over every week.

I'm concerned that if I do manage to seal her back up that the Dexcool will rot my gaskets again. Should or can I replace w/ green antifreeze? Also, I've got a horrible scraping from the front end on deceleration. I'm afraid to find out what that is.

I really love my MC, but is it worth the $ and time to fix? She's got 103k on her, and I had some plans to turn her into a sleeper...

A wierd side note: she's running like a top...

Old 06-25-2006, 05:20 PM
Default RE: My Monte's hurting

I would say go see about tradeing it in for a nother monte that is newer if you need to.

But also if you want to make it a sleeper anyway have you checked in to a motor swap? Might be cheaper to do this now then later after all the work is done and you have to do more to get it there.

OR. time to buy a small beater that runs good and park the Monte so tha tyou can work on it and get it right

Just my .02 worth

Old 06-25-2006, 08:02 PM

Sorry to hear of your problems. But, they are fairly typical with the advent of Dexcrap.

Alot of people have switched to green with no problems, just make sure you get all of the Dexcrap out of the system. (Run plenty of fresh water through the system while it's running and turn the heater on.

I would say that a couple of hundred now is better than another car payment. Especially if it's still running good.

Old 06-26-2006, 12:00 AM

OK, so I can swap out the Dex-uncool. Awesome! Prestone here I come. I kept hearing that using green antifreeze will seize your motor. That's probably an urban legend started by whoever invented Dex-drool. Since the engine will all but be removed from the vehicle I'm sure flushing the system won't be that tough. It'll also give me a good opportunity to inspect my radiator and hoses. I think I'll swap out the Malibu's coolant too, so long as it doesn't void our warranty.

I'll still have to see about the front end noise. What genius though riveting the axle and steering components in was a good idea?

Mickey, I have looked into an engine swap, among other things. Milzy will put a SC L67 w/ HD tranny in for about $4,200.00. Also could get 3100 Stage 2 kit for about 1/2 that. They're developing headers for the 3100, and I've already priced a cat-back dual exhaust w/ Flowmaster 40 series from a local customizing shop. The customizing was/is scheduled for next spring. It was supposed to be this year, but the Malibu delayed that.

I'll keep you all informed. Thanks for the support.

Old 07-01-2006, 12:47 PM

Good news. I can get the gaskets. My gf will be buying them for me. I'll be swapping all engine gaskets. Hopefully a couple of friends of mine can help out. I've got a 4 day weekend coming up, so I hope to start a week from Friday. Until then I'll be driving it only when necessary, and I'll be keeping an eye on the temp guage. Hasn't overheated yet.

I just realized that this has been a problem for well over a year now. The coolant was flushed Feb of last year, then my fuel pump went in April. The coolant was oily then, but we thought it was just sludge. After doing the water pump last month we put new coolant in. It was fouled 3 weeks later. I'm surprised it's still running great.