General Monte Carlo Talk Talk about the Monte Carlo. Does not have to be your Monte. Can include pics and games.

My "mods" so far w/ SLP CAI review

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2009, 09:23 AM
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default My "mods" so far w/ SLP CAI review

Well here’s what I’ve done so far:

1.) I don’t have a picture of the new ones but I replaced the vent visors… err… visor, seems the one on the driver side went MIA before I bought the car.

2.) I added chrome valve caps, replaced the grey “lug nuts” with black, and (haven’t decided what to do with the bowtie, black or red…) Used a Sharpie to temporarily color the then pink bowtie. Will paint or get overlays for those when I decide what looks best.

3.) Added decal on driver’s side mirror. (Just makes me chuckle every now and then)

4.) Painted the engine cover with Krylon Fusion gloss black paint and added overlays.

5.) Installed an SLP CAI.

Now as my own little review of the SLP kit. Honestly I was a little disappointed when I opened the box and discovered that the air box is only open to the side, I thought it would draw air from both the side and the front. I was debating making modifications to the box so it would draw from the front, but the PCM, which I assume lays flat on the bottom of other kits, actually stands up on end in the SLP so a hole cut in the front of the box wouldn’t really add any air flow. Figured all in all the approximate $90 savings over the Wiz Aired kit I would learn to like it…. Or buy a Wiz Aired down the line. The installation instructions leave a little to be desired, a few crude drawings and no pictures but reading and looking at the real thing got me over that. As others have stated about the other CAI kits it was a wrestling match a few times, especially trying to hook the intake tube back up. After all said and done it took a little more then an hour from hood up to hood down.

Now the fun part… A few people have said that a CAI makes your car sound like a Hoover on cold start-up. However it reminded me of the movie Mad Max where the chief and the mechanic try to persuade Max from leaving the force with a blown patrol car. Those that have seen the movie may recall when they first started the car the camera and Max’s attention focused on the air intake as it sucked in the air… That’s what it reminds me of. As far as the sound when you get on the gas, as others have said it howls, I can’t see at this moment how it’s going to help me get anymore MPG with WOT whenever the road allows!

So in closing, I’ve only had the kit installed since late Monday but so far I have not regretted it since finishing the install, my neighbors may have learned a few new expletives that were unheard by them in the past but I have to say so far it’s been worth every *&@##! And #&%$*@!! uttered.

Sorry for the long post but wanted to give as much detail as I thought would be wanted.

Old 10-15-2009, 09:26 AM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

It was a good post.

As we said, ANYTHING is going to be better than stock with these CAI kits. It's just pickiness between the kits after you have one :P

Glad you like it

Old 10-15-2009, 09:34 AM

Originally Posted by chibiblacksheep
As we said, ANYTHING is going to be better than stock with these CAI kits. It's just pickiness between the kits after you have one :P
Agreed Mike, hope you noticed I didn't bring up the buttons.... opps!

Old 10-15-2009, 10:34 AM
Photobucket
Monte Of The Month -- August 2009

Good post. Thanks for sharing. Your Monte is definitely on it's way. So what is planned in the future?

Old 10-15-2009, 11:33 AM

15 Year Member

Downpipe and PLOG next?

Old 10-15-2009, 08:20 PM
THE JUDGE
Monte Of The Month -- November 2015
Monte Of The Month -- March 2012
10 Year Member

I'm glad you like it - I have had mine almost 7 months and I have no complaints. Be careful when removing the black clips to take the lid off to clean the filter. I already broke 2 clips but my fiance had some the same size laying around so I replaced them.

Old 10-16-2009, 07:56 AM

Right now #1 on my list of "nexts" is tinting the windows, however not only have I been saying I want to do that since I bought her back in July, I've been wanting to do it to my truck since I bought it 8 years ago But at least the truck as the dark factory tint on the rear window and the back 1/4s. Besides that I do want either a downpipe or at least do the U-Bend delete, playing with the thought of removing the resinator too. Each post I read about doing it changes my mind, first I want to then I don't, then I do... Would like to hear one in person just to see if the drone is that bad or the sound is that good. Really, honestly can't tell by listening on the computer. Had thought about asking them to just clamp up a pipe and let me live with it for awhile and if I don't like it bring it back in to weld the resinator back in place. Some where down the line I'd like to get one of Jarhead's trunk mats, really improves the look IMO. Besides those the only other things I'm looking at currently are cosmetic. The site I got the overlays from has made like a kid in a candy store, trying to think of how to make my Monte mine. Know what I mean? Oh yeah (for Mike) I want to do something about the GD steering wheel buttons!

Amy-- I can see trouble ahead with those clips, I've broken a few on my truck changing out the grill insert I had. I didn't push these all the way down, hoping that they won't vibrate out and I'll be able to grab them with my finger tips rather then trying to pull them out with the old pliers/screwdriver method. Pretty sure they sell packs of them at auto part stores but do I really want the hassle of having to buy some more?!?!

Old 10-19-2009, 09:20 AM

Monte Of The Month -- January 2010
10 Year Member

Looks Good! I really like your engine cover!

Old 11-04-2009, 09:57 AM

15 Year Member

hey JAFO

Look, it has CLEAN BUTTONS!!!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2004-...Q5fAccessories

Old 11-04-2009, 10:03 AM

Does beat the $85ish from GMPartsDirect for the buttons. Nice to see your out there looking after me buddy!

Quick Reply: My "mods" so far w/ SLP CAI review