General Monte Carlo Talk Talk about the Monte Carlo. Does not have to be your Monte. Can include pics and games.

My Brother's Car

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2006, 01:25 PM
Default My Brother's Car

I hope it is ok to post something about a malibu here. Anyway, About four years ago, when my brother was 13, he bought a 1978 Chevy Malibu.
My brother's motor:Chevy Big Block 402 bored to a 404
My dad's motor: Chevy Big Block 402 bored to a 408

The first bad thing that happened to the car: The body was still on the frame, but the motor and the front nose was off (hood, fenders, bumper). In the woods next to our house, there is a path (which is also a little hill). This place is where we kept the car. The front nose was down lower behind where the car goes. One fall day, after it rained, we were putting the car back where it goes on that path. Since it rained, the leaves were wet. Now me, my dad, and my brother were walking it down. Once we hit the wet leaves, we all slipped. We couldn't hold onto the car, so the car kept going untill it found the front nose. If that wasn't there, the car would have hit a few trees or land in the brook next to our house. So, a perfectly good front nose, ruined. Now we still have to find a new one.

Here are some pictures.

This is what it looked like at the beginning

Chassis

This is my dad's old car. He sold it about eight years ago. This is what my brother wants his car to look like

The early stages of body work

Painting is done. Color: Ford Grabber Blue

Now the most recent work: We just got finnished wet sanding and buffing the car on saturday. So we put the body on the chassis on the same day.

This is my uncle buffing out the car

This is when the body was ready to go onto the chassis

This one is self explanatory

This is when we were setting the body on the chassis

The body is on the chassis

Body on the chassis

The body isn't at its lowest point right now, once there is more weight on the car, it will go lower.

Old 08-10-2006, 01:37 PM
Default RE: My Brother's Car

Super Post, Thanks 4 Sharing. The Malibu is `SWEET.
WoW, your lucky 2 have a dad & relatives that are into
cars. Keep us posted on final results.
`Space

Old 08-10-2006, 02:05 PM
Monte Of The Month -- March 2007
5 Year Member

one of our customers up here did that with an 83 chevy malibu wagon, and he put a big block engine in it

Old 08-10-2006, 04:19 PM

Cool project....

I've always liked the old Malibu bodies....

Old 08-14-2006, 11:00 PM

We ahve to take the body back off the chassis...
The rear fraim rails have to get re-welded...

Old 08-15-2006, 07:33 PM

please keep us posted on this I plan to do the same thing when i hit the states to a older monte carlo So any info on this would be great. Also if you have more photos or information you can share plase let me know or email me with it. Thanks.

I had a ex her brother did this with his malibu that car was nothing short of mean!! It was done and runnign really good belive his best time in it was around 9.5 on it at the track.

but i have to say that i think if i didnt have a monte fedish it would be one for those cars they are sharp.

Also for the front end you might get lucky and find one cheap in the paper for the whole car as those years ran for a while you can even get the front fenders off of the wagon and you cna find them in Glass so this will help out with weight to.

Glad to see you and your family enjoy cars this much!!
Keep it up and pass it down or it will be a lost hobby someday.

Old 08-19-2006, 03:01 PM

Do any of you know where we can get the glass for the rear quarter window on the Malibu?

Old 08-19-2006, 05:38 PM

might get lucky at a glass shop if they can find it for you OR
this sounds crazy but call your ins. company and ask them if they know any one that has glass that is obsolete. I had a sunroof shatter one time and they found it for me if i could not find the glass to replace it i would have had to cut a bigger sun roof in the car to get it fixed.

So they have recourses

Also call some body shops or body supply store in the area and ask if they know of any for parts or where they would look for it.

but most glass shops you will find can get it for you or know how to find it.
Just have to call

If you really have good luck you might find one in a old bone yard and can get it out of that one.

might look to see if you can find out if any other car has the same glass in it so that you can look for that one to in the bone yards. give you better odds to find things.