General Monte Carlo Talk Talk about the Monte Carlo. Does not have to be your Monte. Can include pics and games.

my 78 monte carlo plz help

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2010, 10:07 PM
hrg
Default my 78 monte carlo plz help

Hi i have a silver 1978 mote carlo, it was passed down to me by my mother.I love this car very much, but i don't know much about
my monte carlos engine. I would be forever greatfull if someone
could look at some pictures i'll take, and talk to me about them
so i can get her running.She means the world to me...its such
a beautifull car and i will send, and take detailed pictures of
the engine and body. please help me.... thanks.

Last edited by Space; 09-17-2010 at 05:32 AM. Reason: Please post more infor
Old 09-16-2010, 10:23 PM
Monte Of The Month -- September 2012
Monte Of The Month -- February 2016
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

I sugest uploading the pictures to a site such as photobucket and then posting them in this thread and asking your questions here too instead of having only one person trying to help the vast community we have here can try to help, and that way you don't have to brodcast your email to every/anyone on the web,

WELCOME to the forum too

Old 09-17-2010, 03:35 AM

Monte Of The Month -- March 2013

Also may help if you post what type of problem you are having. We have some great members here with lots of knowledge but we'll need a little more info first. Has it sat for a long time. Does it do anything when you turn the key like try to start or just roll over. also there should be a rectangular white emissions sticker somewhere near the radiator that can tell you what size engine you have. it would say something like 5.7 or 350 or something similar to that. I hope this heps a little. good luck

Old 09-17-2010, 05:37 AM

Originally Posted by hrg
Hi i have a silver 1978 mote carlo, it was passed down to me by my mother.I love this car very much, but i don't know much about
my monte carlos engine. I would be forever greatfull if someone
could look at some pictures i'll take, and talk to me about them
so i can get her running.She means the world to me...its such
a beautifull car and i will send, and take detailed pictures of
the engine and body. please help me.... thanks.

Welcome to the Monte Carlo Family...
Please post as much information about your Monte Carlo and what problems you are having...Have you ever worked on any car/engine etc ? Do you have tools ? Do you plan on doing the work yourself ? or do you have a mechanic to do the work ?
You can get a Haynes Automotive Manuel for your Monte that contains a lot of information for repairs...

When is the last time it ran ?
How many miles on your Monte ?
Is it a one owner ? Do you know how it was maintained ?
Look forward to your updates...How's life in Canada ?
Good Luck

Old 09-17-2010, 10:53 AM

welcome to the forum. feel free to post pics or pm them to me. i have a soft spot for the third gens having owned a couple and worked on and driven several.

Old 10-27-2010, 03:47 PM
hrg

well i now have it running but whe i try to drive it on ramps to change the oil and put a new oil filter on i give it gas and it stalls, dies, so i have a couple ideas what it could be but will never be sure and do not want to take it to a mechanic and can't really do so because it dies as soon as you give it gas please if you know what this could be tell me please an thanks

Old 10-29-2010, 01:52 AM
hrg
Default don't know wjy it wont move when i hit the gas

hi i got my 78 mont carlo to frun but when i try to drive it on ramps to work on it it stalls/dies so if you could help me find out whats wrong why it wont drive aka move when i give her gas that would be the world to me i love this car....thanks

Old 10-29-2010, 06:37 AM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2009
5 Year Member

Ive had similar problems with other SBCs. I would start by checking the fuel filter, fuel pump(yours is mechanical I assume), and the carb. Sounds like you arent getting enough fuel. Start her up and let it warm up, then with the air cleaner off, rev it up at the carb and see if fuel delivery increases with RPMs. Check any vacuum lines going to the car for breaks or leaks and make sure they are all hooked up correctly.

Then make sure the fuel filter is clean and free flowing. A blockage could be starving you of fuel.

If all else fails, check the fuel pump, maybe even swap it out for a used one that you know works to rule out the pump.

Also, never underestimate a good carb cleaning. If the car was sitting for a while, there could be all kinds of varnish buildup in the carb restricting fuel.

Old 10-29-2010, 11:58 AM
rj
15 Year Member

My first thought is the carburator has issues. Any idea the last time the carburator was re-built?

I own a 1986 LS Monte with the 305 H O V8 in it. This engine came with a quadrajet carburator on it. I have experience with these carbs since my very first car has a 1968 327 V8 in it. This engine also came with a Q-jet carb from the factory. Once I had problems with the carb and several attempts at doing a re-build ended badly. So I took the carb to a local parts store that did carb re-builds. When I wanted the Q-jet in my '86 Monte re-built I again used another local shop. For under $200 (I bought all the parts, the shop charged $100 for the re-build) this shop disasembled the carb, cleaned it, and did the re-build.

So if you have a carburator problem and have little experience re-building one there are shops out there that can re-build the carb for you.

Old 10-30-2010, 06:42 AM

not just that try spraying carb cleaner in the carb to help clean it up when it is at idel. you always use a jack and jack stands to do the oil because it also lets you know how the suspention stands as well

Quick Reply: my 78 monte carlo plz help