General Monte Carlo Talk Talk about the Monte Carlo. Does not have to be your Monte. Can include pics and games.

My 2001 Monte SS Build Thread

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2011, 02:19 PM
Post My 2001 Monte SS Build Thread

Hey guys so I am starting a small, somewhat paced build thread for my 2001 Monte Carlo SS. Not gonna be doing anything crazy besides a pretty nice sound system and some minor performance stuff. Here it is so far I'm sure I will change my mind on some of it! I need some input on speakers as I will more than likely go through Kicker as I can get them at low cost. 6-1/2s (cannot decide on components or not) and 6x9s. Give me some input and suggestions guys!

Audio Parts List:

Deck:
Sony XAV-60 Headunit - BOUGHT
GMOS-04 Interface
AXXES Steering Wheel Control Adapter
Double-Din Mounting Kit - BOUGHT

Front Speakers:
Polk Audio DXI 6-1/2's - 60w RMS - INSTALLED

Rear Speakers:
Polk Audio DXI 6x9's - 100w RMS -INSTALLED

Subwoofers:
(2) 10” Polk Audio DXI104DVC Subwoofer - 270W RMS each - Bought
Fierce Audio Dual 10” Ported Enclosure - Bought

Amplifiers:
Kicker ZX 350.4
Kicker ZX 1000.1
Kicker 4 guage wiring kit
Kicker distribution block
Kicker dual ground block

Bypassed Factory Amplifier

Kinetic HC600B Battery for the trunk.

Performance Parts List:

ZZPerformance 2.5" Aluminized Bolt-in Downpipe w/Cat - INSTALLED

Visual Parts List: (mostly summer stuff)
Plastidipp all four wheels
Cherry Bomb Rectangular Stainless Steel Tips
Xenon Spoiler
DMM Tuning HID Lows & Fogs
Paint interior pieces gloss black with clear coat finish
Paint engine cover & braces
Rear tails off the 06-07 Montes

Last edited by NovaSS369; 03-09-2012 at 10:05 AM. Reason: Changes
Old 11-16-2011, 02:29 PM

nice build man! i have alpine type S components in my doors and the type S 6x9s they are quite loud. but im gonna redo my front stage and do crescendo 6.5s. their component sets are 100$ and are very solid.

edit. id also do hids! get them from DDM tuning and buy both fog lights and headlight sets at the same time. it saves alot of money on shipping!

Old 11-16-2011, 02:32 PM

My primary focus right now is get the DP in and get the audio done first. Then when it gets warmer start doing paint on the interior and the HID's. Thanks for the input man! As for the Type-S speakers what amp are you running on them?

Old 11-16-2011, 02:39 PM

Originally Posted by NovaSS369
My primary focus right now is get the DP in and get the audio done first. Then when it gets warmer start doing paint on the interior and the HID's. Thanks for the input man! As for the Type-S speakers what amp are you running on them?
good plan! i have been wanting to redo my interior for a while. but i will once spring comes. even though its still 85 here in florida . no problem! i have them on a Alpine F-300 its the matching amp to the M-500s. it gets really loud specialy after i tuned it with the DD-1

Old 11-16-2011, 02:43 PM

Nice! I love the Alpine amp's. Stupid question, what's a DD-1?

Old 11-16-2011, 02:52 PM

me too! i had 2 mrp-m500s and this f-300 and they all preformed very well! this is a DD-1 is this. it will tell you your MAX undistorted volume for your head unit and how high you can turn your gain up on the amp. before it distorts.

SMD Distortion Detector DD-1 - SMD Distortion Detector.

Old 11-16-2011, 02:56 PM

Wow! - I liked what you did with your iPod cable running into your compartment btw. How did you run it there?

Old 11-16-2011, 03:09 PM

thanks man. i took off the heated seat switch plate. that just snaps in and out. i took it out and moved it out of the way. and took a long drill bit and just started drilling. took a while cause the USB plug is kinda big. and its kinda a challenge to get the drill bit in there and get it started. cause you have to go at from a weird angle.

Old 11-28-2011, 02:01 PM

Update:

Got my 2.5" ZZP Bolt-in downpipe put in on Thanksgiving and it sounds/works great. My CEL went off today so looks like I don't need to order a PCM...yet . Biggest complaint is that they put the bung for the o2 sensor on the side and should've angled it down some. Had to hit the floor pan up a bit so it wouldn't rub when shifting into reverse, etc as it moves quite a bit. Overall - happy so far.

My build took a big hit on Friday though. I had to get new outer tie rods & an alignment done upon realizing both of them were cut completely open and causing the car to vibrate a lot. $285 out the window right there. Will update more when audio build gets going.

Old 11-28-2011, 04:23 PM

I know you didnt list these as an option but I like the Focal components myself. I have Fosgate components in my Balt SS/SC right now and they are just "ok" IMO. Loud as hell but too bright for my taste. AND, yes, ZZP makes great stuff for sure. I have a ton of their parts on my Balt SS/SC as well

@Boxman, I have a Crescendo BC2000 as well Powering a 12" BD Series DAD sub

Pic of the box is just after install, looks like chit cause I hadn't vacuumed it yet

Last edited by nizzle; 11-28-2011 at 04:33 PM.

Quick Reply: My 2001 Monte SS Build Thread