General Monte Carlo Talk Talk about the Monte Carlo. Does not have to be your Monte. Can include pics and games.

Mustang GT owner, liking the 06 SS's

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2007, 06:26 PM
Default Mustang GT owner, liking the 06 SS's

So i had a99 modded GTP a while back and im kinda missing it. I bout a 06 Mustang GT instead. Ii miss the auto trans, this 5 speed after a hard days work is gettin to be a pain, i love the sound, feel and the looks of my stang but its just not practicle. I cant drive it in the winter, but its so much fun and damn quick when its nice out. I dont think any car will compare to this, i love the looks i get!, but ill have to let it go sooner or later cause its just not for me although it is the best sounding GT ive heard( no mufflers). Im new to the RWD and that has also posed a problem, lack of 5 speed RWD skills in the rain and last week i tagged a guardrail. Now... i get it back in 8 more days fully fixed at the insurances price tag of 5k$. Im looking to trade it in as the trade in value is 21k~. I found this slick Monte SS thats the 5.3 and i wanna know what you guys think, its a W body, why im interested, cause i loved my last one, and id like to get back to another one of those. Theres 2 links, one to the Monte, and the other to my Mustang page with pics/ and crash pics. What do you think i should do, trade in for the SS or keep the stang?

www.lambertgm.com/temps/d...kid=201627

www.mustangforums.com/m_4162213/tm.htm

www.mustangforums.com/m_4056235/tm.htm

-Jon

Old 11-12-2007, 06:47 PM

Fallen to the Dark Side - Resident Ford Man
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default RE: Mustang GT owner, liking the 06 SS's

yeah, they're a ton of fun to drive (or so i hear, i never drove a V8 monte.) you get looks in the monte to, their pretty distinct looking and not many people have them, especially SS models. i think you'd be happy with a 06 SS.

Old 11-12-2007, 07:11 PM
rj
15 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Have you driven the SS yet? Cause after you do you won't want anything else.

I test drove one. A red one like in the link you posted. The second I got it out on the street I knew if I owned that car me & the cops would get to be on a first name basis. I own other cars that are "Somewhat" fast so I have a little experience with decent car.

Old 11-12-2007, 07:18 PM

I havent driven an SS yet, but i know i will be dissipointed with the exhaust( stock, quiet) and it still wont pull like what i have, but its a change and i gotta test drive before i can get my mind set on anything. Its good to hear good reviews on the SS.

Old 11-12-2007, 08:04 PM

Take a test drive. I think you'll like it. Cowboy is right. You will get alot of looks and they are indeed a rare breed with plenty of get up and go.The exhaust is classy quiet. But with a few mods you can make it louder I'm sure. We removed the resonator fromourGrand Prix and it gave it a totally different sound. Not doingthat to the Monte though, wanna sneak up on em. I'mextremely pleased with theSS. Was going for another Pontiac when we ran across this car and haven't looked back since.

Old 11-12-2007, 09:07 PM
Photobucket
Monte Of The Month -- December 2007

Hell, I would trade you... I only have 2558 miles on mine. My car eats GTs and spits them out, but I HATE the LS4 motor!!! Love the car... HATE the engine! What I really hate is the DOD system 8-cyl to 4-cyl to 8-cyl... Its CRAP to me!!!

I just found out the other day, that ifI drive in 3rd gear until I get to speed then I shift to "Drive" and lock the cruise, the car doesn't go into 4cyl mode until I set the cruise control. When I slow down, I down shift to 3rd again (to keep it into 8-cyl mode) until I get back to speed limit. Oh... and I get better gas mileage too... well... better for my car 17.8 so far... You can click on my sig link to see pictures of my car.

OH... Sound is not a problem... see my YouTube Video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6vrbqHgu0JI

Old 11-12-2007, 09:09 PM

Fallen to the Dark Side - Resident Ford Man
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

heck i'l trade you to, but you'll probably want money on top of my car . btw, you knwo you can buy a programmer for a few hundred bucks and turn the DOD off? just wandering....

Old 11-12-2007, 10:43 PM

Dude, that sucks about the Mustang. You will love the MC SS if you get one, and you can make mods to improve horsepower and the sound. Just curious, doesn't that Mustang have traction control? Two things I NEVER do in rain or snow are turn off the traction control or use the cruise control. I had a real bad experience with cruise control on an icy road, once upon a time.

I like the color of that car you are looking at, but they really need to come down on the price some...

Here is an old clip of how my car sounds:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-fR64VSLxkI

Old 11-13-2007, 07:18 AM

ORIGINAL: Yonco

I havent driven an SS yet, but i know i will be dissipointed with the exhaust( stock, quiet) and it still wont pull like what i have, but its a change and i gotta test drive before i can get my mind set on anything. Its good to hear good reviews on the SS.
I think you'll be pleasantly surprised as to how it pulls, compared to what you have. Remember - the SS has one-percent more hp and torque, and the curb weight is only seven pounds more than an 06 Mustang GT Premium. I've driven both, and I think the SS is a little bit faster. The last stang I owned was an 02 GT, automatic, stock except for manifold-back exhaust with hi-flow cats and X-pipe. It was fairly quick, but my SS is definately faster.

Regarding the exhaust,the factory setup is absolutely perfect for my taste - nice burble at idle, turns heads when you get on it, yet it's quietduring highway cruising. Keep in mind that I'm old, and have a fairly-lengthycommute.

The negatives? I'm not real wild about the DOD system...especially since it doesn't seem to do what it's supposed to do, which is improve gas mileage. I'm averaging 22 mpg at the moment, and feel very fortunate to be getting that. I think I'm going to spring for a Diablo tuner, and just disable the damned thing.

Also, I think the interior looks kinda cheap for a $30K+ car, but an aftermarket dash/console trim kitmight spruce it up a bit.

I haven't driven the SS insnow yet, but withall-season tires, traction controland the big 5.3 sitting on top of the drive wheels, I think it's going to be just fine.

Old 11-13-2007, 10:01 AM
THE JUDGE
Monte Of The Month -- November 2015
Monte Of The Month -- March 2012
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

I owned an 05 Mustang V-6 and got rid of it this past June for a Mini Cooper S. I traded it in because of quality issues I was having with Ford and gas mileage. I do miss the sound (I had a very modded V-6). I have also driven an 06 auto Mustang GT and I don't think anything would sound as cool as that. But what you will find with the Montes is that they excellerate much smoother (at least the 00-05-never drove a newer one). I hate drive by wire and that was one of the big problems with the Mustangs. I think you'd be happy with an 06 or 07 or try to find an 04-05 supercharged SS.

Quick Reply: Mustang GT owner, liking the 06 SS's