General Monte Carlo Talk Talk about the Monte Carlo. Does not have to be your Monte. Can include pics and games.

In the mood for some hp gain and upgrades!! any recommendations??

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2010, 03:47 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Talking In the mood for some hp gain and upgrades!! any recommendations??

i have an 02 ss

i dont no what generation anything but its the 3.8

i want to gain some hp but not break the bank i was thinking about getting a factory supercharger off a junked monte but that upgrade was going to run more than a thousand bucks without labor...

i took care of my audio set up..
i purchased the k&n intake system waiting for it to come in!!

im thinking about choppin the cat. conv. aswell
hoping that these two will give me some nice hp and sound...

any recommendations on some upgrades to get some more hp..

also thinking about changing the stock strut and sway bars for a tighter grip...

Old 04-19-2010, 03:54 PM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

You have a Series II N/A L36 Engine.

Read this over about 3 times.

Old 04-19-2010, 04:12 PM

yeah, that link will help out. But you say youre gonna hack off the cat? you might as well do the whole deal with a cat, ubend delete. If you have any welding/fab skills you could do it yourself. If you dont really know how to weld or anything, you could go with an aftermarket Downpipe from ZZP. If you dont have emmisions tests in your area, you could go with the off road DP(the one without a cat). then after that you could have a shop do a resonator delete. That should only run you about 50 bucks. you said youre getting a K&N intake?? Is that a short ram?? if so you should buy some more piping and make it into a full CAI. So with a good cold air intake and a good flowing exhaust, you could go with a tuned PCM. That can run you anywhere from $75 to $250 depending on what you get, where you get it, and if they give you the option of sending in a core. But those are the three MAIN things i have and it gave my car a pretty decent gain for what i was looking for.

Id like to add, just cutting off your cat wont give you any gains. You have to get rid of the u-bend, which an after market downpipe will do.

And if you do get the DP and youre setting off a code, a tuned PCM will get rid of the code.