General Monte Carlo Talk Talk about the Monte Carlo. Does not have to be your Monte. Can include pics and games.

Montes trashed in latest consumer mag

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2010, 08:30 AM

This list names almost the whole chevy line up. It seems that whoever wrote it up didn't like chevy vehicles very much! I must say the the Audi A6 making this list which is one heck of a car, and many mechanics swear it's one of the best import cars right now, sounds a bit bias. I wouldn't give this report a a second look since, from experience, my Monty has shown to be a very reliable car inside and out. Others in this forum can testify to the same so, to the OP, I wouldn't worry about what CR says. Like every other car out on the street, do the required maintenance and it will be fine.

Old 02-28-2010, 09:00 AM

All I can say is that I've been driving my car for 20k miles now (120k-140k) almost and it's been great to me. Nothing has gone wrong aside from my MAF sensor which needed a cleaning (which is expected @ the mileage stated).

Old 02-28-2010, 09:42 AM

im going out on a limb here. ive drove my car for 14,000 miles.

changed my oil every 2.5-3000, flushed the tranny, got the injectors cleaned. it always starts, never sounds bad, and always gets me to where i need to be.

but i have to take it to the dealer because i suspect, a blown gasket of some sort. i dont drive my car that hard, and i always let it warm up for 10 mins b4 i shift to drive.

all in all i guess its a god car. most of my repairs were covered under warranty.

but now i have more since my last trip. pinp noise from cat or resonator, 4 months old. blown gasket on engine. all my fluids are fine, but its pretty dirty on the back side. and the trac/abs light issue, and i have to add a cup of coolant every month. which the dealer says theres nothing abnormal about that. and it pressure tests just fine.

im sorry i love my monte and spend a lot of time with it, but im not arguing with the artical. my car is a little over 3 years old and if i had to replace all the "defective parts" that got replaced id be pissed. im still upset that i have to fix all m other concerns. maybe i got the worst car off the prodction line, but i dought it. maybe the 6th gen were "reliable cars", but mine is shurley not.

please dont send me hate mail or what not, but its understandable why im so mad.

Old 02-28-2010, 10:52 AM

i understand where your coming from Mak, ive to had to replace some things that should have lasted a little longer than like my trans cooler lines, water pump and tie rods. i know these things break but some parts could of lasted longer till 100,000 miles. im currently at 76,xxx miles, so i got a lot more mile to put on her

Old 02-28-2010, 12:04 PM

It's not a reliable as any of the other vehicles that my family own, but they all have Chevy 350s in them...

My question is if the Monte is one of the worst of the worst, then what about the Impala? Two doors may make a difference in looks but shouldn't effect reliability.

Old 02-28-2010, 12:07 PM
STILL SLOW
Monte Of The Month -- May 2010
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Pickup trucks
Honda ridgline
The Ridgeline combines the handling of a car with the utility of a pickup truck. The cabin is easy to access, and the engine is smooth and responsive. Choose the Tacoma if you need a traditional pickup truck.
Other good choices:

* Toyota Tacoma V6 ('05-09)
* Subaru Baja

Obviously these people dont know anything, and all people who buy pickups want a v6 they can drive in the city.. LOL What can you pull with a v6 tacoma, mabye a jammed finger? Also, the subaru baja isnt a pickup, its a forester with a box. These people plain suck.

Old 02-28-2010, 12:44 PM
Photobucket
Monte Of The Month -- October 2010

The only thing I may agree with in that statement is that the suspension dies out pretty quick but the aftermarket stuff that is availabale is great and makes up for it. But like brittany and others said.... there is a lot of bias people out there leaning heavy towards imports..... especially toyotas.....only problem there is you have to try and stop them! hahahaha Boo to imports and sticky pedals lol

Old 02-28-2010, 12:45 PM

I read the mag to see how my recent purchase (an '07 MC LT 3.5-liter) is likely to hold up in terms of reliability. Needless to say, CR's stats shook me up pretty bad! Based on what I read, the powertrain got good scores, but the suspension, accessories, audio system, and body hardware got the lowest marks. So, does that mean as the car ages the engine and tranny will stay strong but the car will fall apart around it as the years go by?

I maintain my cars (including my Monte) according to the owner's manual maintenance schedule to the letter, and always at the dealer. Do I still have reason to worry about those stats? Thus far, the car's been great. 22K miles on it right now.

Talk to me, guys. I'm spooked, and hoping that I did not buy a likely headache in the reliability department.
I'm sure there is some truth to it- I'm not sure where they get their statistics for what gets repaired and such, but the foreign manufacturers have had the domestic manufacturers beat in quality for awhile- it has definitely become better since say the 70s and 80s, but affordability and quality tend to be the cornerstones of the foreign manufacturers efforts- sure that leads to most of their lineups being bland and lackluster- but for those people that just want a car as transportation for A to B as cheap as possible, it works.

I wouldn't say that those ratings mean you're going to have a catastrophic failure in your suspension system, audio system, and so on- just that more people have reported having to have those repaired than on other vehicles (steering clunk anyone?- I know both of my impalas had it, and that its a common wbody problem).

The upside is it makes the vehicle cheaper to buy (unless you only buy new, which is not a financially smart move anyways)- the tradeoff is you will likely make up that price down the road in maintenance.

i just get personal opinions from people i know who have the car i want and go from there or i just ask my dad since hes a mechanic and all
That is taking the opinion of a very very small sample though.

if you truly like your car and maintain it yourself then CR is not correct! most of us here generally maintain our cars.
I think the point of the article is that these cars had extra maintenance outside of basic consumable items (oil, brakes, etc), so its not that the people aren't wanting to change their oil- its that other stuff is going wrong that shouldn't be.

I've owned 5 wbodys so far, and have been around wbodys for awhile- they definitely seem to have above average maintenance needs. I got lucky with my monte only having a few minor things wrong- but all of my other ones have had a handful of items each. However, I keep coming back because these kind of reports keeps the price down when buying the cars used, I do all my own maintenance (so it doesn't cost me as much as someone who had to take their car to a shop everytime something went out), and most importantly- I like cars that stand out a bit and are fun to drive. A car must be fun, and have a soul- and I believe a lot of those 'safe bets' of cars like the normal midline honda and toyotas and such are just too boring for me. I can definitely see how it would be different if you weren't into cars though.

Old 02-28-2010, 03:29 PM

so far the 06 and the 07 monte carlo's are the same generation. so far my monty is super reliable other than rutine mantenence. i plan to keep it as long as i can hence the tern drive it till the wheels finnaly fall of. which is keep it do the usuall thing and be happy when some one in a stickered out honda with a fast can muffler pulles up just smile and pull away and watch the honda still sit at the light. ;P but what i am saying is or monte,s are really reliableas long as we do prevenitive maintenence.tire rod ends suspention parts that are worne out fast are due to the driving area where we live in. what car suspention lasts where there is a lot of snow salt anp pot holes are. my monte still lasts so does every one elses so cr can s@#k my but juce after i eat chillie. may be that can be used for there electric cars

Old 02-28-2010, 03:46 PM

lol about the tacomas. my mantainence forman at work had one of those. it had a recall for frame damage. you cant fix that. they just gave him a couple years newer truck.

ya and what everybody says is true. the chevy does cost less than its competitor and it shows. thats one reason i bought one.

thats funny hows theres every aftermarket suspension part you can think of. usually manufacturers see a common problem in certain cars and start making that part.

Quick Reply: Montes trashed in latest consumer mag