General Monte Carlo Talk Talk about the Monte Carlo. Does not have to be your Monte. Can include pics and games.

monte carlo ss emblem question

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2007, 07:06 PM
Default monte carlo ss emblem question

My wife has the 2005 tony stewart edition monte carlo. She is wanting to get the monte carlo ss emblems on the doors and trunk lid painted orange to match the orange trim on the car. My question is which is the best way to go about this? Option 1 buy new emblems have them painted orange, Option 2 remove emblems currently on car and have them painted orange and reinstall( not sure if they can be removed and reinstalled) Option 3 is remove emblems and have a vynal orange decal cut to match the factory emblems. I kinda like the last idea better, would make it a lot easier to clean but not sure how durable a decal will last and where to go to have a decal made or where to order one from.

Old 01-31-2007, 06:00 AM
Default RE: monte carlo ss emblem question

if you keep the emblems that are on it now then you need ot get new ones and have them painted.

If you do the vinal it would work but also keep in mind it will only go so long before it starts looking like crap. Granted it might be 7-10 years

Old 01-31-2007, 10:19 AM
Monte Of The Month -- March 2007
5 Year Member

hey, welcome to the site..another tony stewart monte...where you from???

i was debating doing that too..but i kinda like the ghost look too

if your planning on doing this you need to remove the emblems and have them painted then reinstall them with 3m glue thats specifically for that...its like a clean plastic tape that you put on the back and it sticks to the car really good..or you could use spray glue as well...or just 2 sided tape..but that might not stick as close to the car as the glue and tape stuff...
post pics of how it turns out..i really want to see this

Old 01-31-2007, 11:38 AM

if your talking the Monte Carlo scripts they are like 4.00 on Ebay. for that pric ei would just get new ones and change them out.
trying to get the 3m ape to go on them and then cutting all of the extra off etc,,, Ya no thanks LOL
but also not sure tha thtey spry glue would hold them on. havent worked with it recently but i knwo the older stuff was not desieg to be in a place that was high presure. this would beconsiderd this due to thecar washing, wind,rain snow etc... you get the point. \
Anothe rhting you can do is take them in and have a magnet put on the back side of them . and then have those painted. this will allow you to put them on and off as you wanted for showes etc. but then take them of fwhile driving so you dont have to worry about cleaning them

Old 01-31-2007, 11:39 AM
5 Year Member

no, thats what he's talking about i think...the supercharged in the writing and then the ss

lol..and no i'm not 2 feet tall like you would think by lookin in the pic ..lol
i've always wondered about painting those orange

even the spot on the truck might look good in orange too

Old 01-31-2007, 02:45 PM
rj
15 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

If you remove and re-install the "SS" or monte scripts you can contact cement them back on the car.

I did this to a car I painted a few years ago. I wanted the stock script back on the trunk and a buddy who worked at my local NAPA said the way they did this type of thing at the body shop he used to work at was contact cement them back on.

That's how I did it too and it stayed on till I parted the car out.

Old 01-31-2007, 02:47 PM

Thanks for all the inforamtion, we are currently in eagle river, ak been here for 4 years and ready to head back to LA. I found some eblems on ebay and it is going to run around 100 + go get them. I am going to call a couple of body shops and see if they can remove them and reinstall them after being painted. I will compare their cost of doing that versus buying new emblems and having them painted.

Old 01-31-2007, 04:38 PM

use masking tape and tape around them.
Then spray paint them

You can even get an air brush kitand do it

Old 01-31-2007, 04:48 PM
5 Year Member

that superchaged word on there would not be easy to tape around...i dont think anybody could do it..lol...not without about 20 hours labor anyway..lol

Old 01-31-2007, 05:11 PM

Here is an very old trick that my dad taught me........

us grease like vasoline, paint does not stick to it.........
after what you paint drys.... wipe it off.........

BINGO......

Quick Reply: monte carlo ss emblem question