General Monte Carlo Talk Talk about the Monte Carlo. Does not have to be your Monte. Can include pics and games.

Opinion Needed: Monte Carlo racing stripes

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2018, 11:03 PM
3 Year Member
1 Year Member
Default Monte Carlo racing stripes

Hey there, I'm attempting to spiff-up my newly-bought 2001 Monte Carlo and am looking for any suggestions regarding racing stripes. Also, do they need to be professionally done or is it something I could do myself?

Thanks!

Old 07-02-2018, 01:14 PM

You can do them yourself, it's actually pretty easy. I've never done something like that before and I got it done. I would suggest really taking your time in applying it / going off of the included instructions.

Could you show us a picture of your Monte? We can make suggestions on what style / color might look best.

Old 07-03-2018, 09:33 AM
3 Year Member
1 Year Member

Sure, here's some pics (mine is the one on the right). Btw, I am planning on getting a lip spoiler so do you think it would look best with the stripes on or off the spoiler? Also, from some research, I learned that the top layer of the decal has to be removed at 180 degrees? what tool would I need for that? I am an amateur at this so I may just want to have it done idk.

Old 07-03-2018, 10:31 AM

Not to go off-topic, but is the bottom trim around the vehicle custom? Mine is white as shown, and want it either gray or black. Shoot, that looks really nice, especially with those wheels.

I was going to suggest the checkered flag stripes on the sides, as you see on some Monte Carlos, but looking at that bottom trim and cool black wheels, maybe some stripes like mine? That'd be my suggestion. I'm curious to see what others feel / say about it.

Old 07-03-2018, 11:00 AM
3 Year Member
1 Year Member

Ok, I'm not sure about the trim as I bought this car only a little over a week ago. I assume It was custom unless it's the original unpainted factory color and and maybe it just wasn't painted? In regard to the stripes, are your stripes on the roof as well as the tail of the car or only on the hood? Also, what brand are your stripes (I know you said you had it done so you may not remember).

Old 07-03-2018, 11:26 AM

They are also on the roof (had to cut them into 4 separate pieces on the roof, since I have a sun roof).

Also put them on the back as well, up to the spoiler. It looks pretty decent. I had bought the generic set off of ebay. You can pick which color and style, for around $60. In fact, I think it was this brand (https://www.ebay.com/itm/DIY-Racing-...gAAOSwAXhZ2tJh)

It didn't save in my purchase history, but this looks to be it. I think it'd go well with yours. When I was applying it to my car, I had the wife double-check it to see if it all lined up perfectly. You will also have problems with air bubbles underneath the decals, and what I did was use an old debit card to 'push' them out as best as I could. For the ones that I just couldn't, I had to get an extremely tiny pin and put a hole in it, and use the card to help push the air out.

Last edited by HKnux5112; 07-03-2018 at 11:31 AM.
Old 07-03-2018, 11:39 AM
3 Year Member
1 Year Member

Ok thx for all the help! I've been looking at decals rather than stickers, that's why I didn't think I could do it myself but this looks like I could do it. The product that you gave me the link for doesn't say exactly what length of stripe it gives you, how many would I have to buy to make 2 stripes like yours?

Old 07-03-2018, 11:50 AM

Well I'd hold off on the one I provided, seems that's not it. The one I had was all decals, and using soapy water to wet the surface and putting the decals on, waiting for it to dry. Let me do some more digging.

Old 07-03-2018, 12:23 PM
3 Year Member
1 Year Member

I think these would look the best. Thoughts?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Chevy-Monte...r=562281390436

Old 07-03-2018, 12:34 PM

Yeah man, that looks right. Good find there.

I wonder how long the back decals are. Looks like it should be long enough for the whole back and up to the spoiler.

Quick Reply: Opinion Needed: Monte Carlo racing stripes