General Monte Carlo Talk Talk about the Monte Carlo. Does not have to be your Monte. Can include pics and games.
View Poll Results: How did you learn how to work on cars (vehicles) ?
I learned from trial & error
26.32%
Learned from a family Member
31.58%
Learned from a Friend(s)
10.53%
I read a lot online + places like libaries
15.79%
Learned at Work " Company Training Programs"
0%
Went to Tech School, College, Auto Mechanic School
0%
Took Auto Classes in High School
0%
I did not learn > I tried & I'm just stupid (LOL)
5.26%
I did not learn & take it to the Pro's
10.53%
Voters: 19. You may not vote on this poll

>Member's, How did you learn how to be a Mechanic ? <

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2014, 07:44 AM

Monte Of The Month -- February 2013
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

As an old school guy..before all these pollution contolled computerized gizmo's...

My first experience was at age 5 in the garage with my dad and his buddies...
It was on a 1958 Anniversary Impala with a 348 tri-power.. (Loved that car)
I started driving at age 10 back then we lived out in the country and my dad pretty much knew all the city officials,cops etc...lol

I even had a driveway garage business built up by age 14..doing minor stuff like tune-ups,oil changes and fixing flat tires etc... Real simple stuff..

By age17 I was working at the Big 3 on the day shift 6am til 230pm...
After work I would buy and fix up different vehicles whether they needed a trans,motor or whatever..I would change them out and put the up for sale... I enjoyed every moment of it... By the time I had my 1st hot rod...
I met a whole new group of people and just started advancing my knowledge from there... As long as they were not computerized I would work on them... The only mechanical schooling I had was 1 summer at Chrysler MOTECH in centerline Michigan. Leraned to setup different Cards..(The Thermoquad was my fave to work on) Talk about a breathing beast of a carb! From that point on most guys relied on me to rebuild and setup there carbs for them regardless of there application... I continued to work on all kind of cars from street machines to Drag cars and even Circle Track cars... That's when my racing career took off I raced Circle track for almost 12 yrs..I even did some testing for Roush and Penske back then.. I was full on into it I even had a step in the door to running Nascar,until my accident in 1997.. after that once I learned my leg was gone..That kind of ended my racing Career.
Its unfortunate..But I was living the dream!

Old 11-20-2014, 08:42 AM

Monte Of The Month -- January 2010
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

I learned what I know from my Dad. I do sensors, maintenance procedures, fluid changes, brakes, etc on my own.

When it comes to more complex things that involve digging into an engine...I take it in.

Old 11-20-2014, 12:17 PM

Nobody in my family or any of my friends know jack about cars. Cars are a hobby to me and I learned most by intentionally breaking parts in my cars and fixing them. Hardest thing I've done to date would be the rack and pinion on the Monte with out a lift, that was an epic nightmare.