General Monte Carlo Talk Talk about the Monte Carlo. Does not have to be your Monte. Can include pics and games.

Looking for a Sixth Gen Monte :)

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2012, 05:43 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default Looking for a Sixth Gen Monte :)

Okay so time to put away my 86 for the winter, now looking for a good car for the winter and possibly might be my DD next summer. I was looking for a Monte Carlo ss from 2000-2005. Ive found a couple but havent made a decision. I Cam across this today 2000 Chevrolet Monte Carlo ss Coupe - City of Toronto Cars For Sale - Kijiji City of Toronto Canada.. Contacted the owner and he said that there is new brakes and rotors all around, has been run on Mobil 1 synthetic oil since he got it 8 years ago, did a rad fluid flush, fuel injection cleaning, fuel filter done and new snow tires and new air filter. Said all it needs is a tie rod which he will do for me for the safety. Said that he will also change the fuel pump because the fuel gauge isnt working and apparently the sensor is in the pump? Then he said the transmission fluid has been flushed recently as well. Does this look like a steal for 2000 cert and etest or should i stay away? By the way im new on this Forum and hopefully i can get my sixth gen Monte and come here more often

Old 10-11-2012, 06:30 PM
Monte Of The Month -- September 2010
10 Year Member

That's not a bad price, someone that knows anything about detailing can clean up those headlights. I would take it to a mechanic that you know, there may be some hidden issues at a price that low.

I would mainly look for a leaking head gasket (coolant in oil), leaking near the headgasket. I would also take it for a test drive and run it through all gears, which means accelerating from each gear to make sure they grab fine, I could see them selling because there's a transmission issues or something like that.

Also, check the common rust spots, under the fuel door, bottom of the doors, basically anywhere that salt could get stuck and start rusting.

That's about all I can think of now, if everything checks out to be good, that's a very nice price for a nice car that could use some small cleaning here and there

Old 10-11-2012, 07:42 PM
10 Year Member

Originally Posted by trewyn15
That's not a bad price, someone that knows anything about detailing can clean up those headlights. I would take it to a mechanic that you know, there may be some hidden issues at a price that low.

I would mainly look for a leaking head gasket (coolant in oil), leaking near the headgasket. I would also take it for a test drive and run it through all gears, which means accelerating from each gear to make sure they grab fine, I could see them selling because there's a transmission issues or something like that.

Also, check the common rust spots, under the fuel door, bottom of the doors, basically anywhere that salt could get stuck and start rusting.

That's about all I can think of now, if everything checks out to be good, that's a very nice price for a nice car that could use some small cleaning here and there
Oh yea i dont mind doing the cleaning at all! Got Some more info on it, just had a full tune up about 10000km's ago with al GM stuff and platinum plugs. Said he would replace the fuel pump for me so that the gauge will be working again. says only bit of rust he sees is surface rust near one of the back tires. Was rust sprayed before but not in the last 2 years. The car has heated seats but drivers does not work, ive seen this is a common problem, how hard is it to fix and how much? I really like the look of this car and i know i can give it some TLC just like i did for my 86 Monte Carlo Any other spots to check for rust?

Old 10-12-2012, 10:20 PM

It's not a leaking head gasket you should look for its the upper intake gasket that you look out for that's not a bad price though it sounds like he really took care of it too

Old 10-12-2012, 10:25 PM

Under the hood the frame the suspension check those well for rust by taking a magnet and picking at it a lot of dealers will spray over it and people do the same. But as far as the seat goes could be a switch or the module for the seat but no it's really not an issue but needs to be looked at by a professional but no if you take care of the transmission then it will normally not give you issues.

Old 10-14-2012, 03:11 PM
10 Year Member

Ok so i went today to take a look at the car, and wow was i impressed. First time ive ever sat in one and drove it. The guy didnt have insurance so i could only drive it around the lot where it was but man was it fun! Braked smoothly from the new rotors and pads that were placed on about 5 months ago. Car idled nice and smooth and didnt smell at all! Had very good pick up ( spun the tires and throttle wasnt even halfway ) Door jambs had no rust at all! Minimal rust was near the side skirt just above it, underneath was clean as factory, and paint was just starting to bubble around the rear fenders and a tiny spot on the hood. Now he said he would give it to me for 1500$ because he doesnt have the time to go safety but he said he will go etest it for us. It needs a fuel pump due to the gauge not working, the seal around the driver window is a ripped a bit, the leather seat has a tiny rip in it. Those are about all the problems with it. How hard would it be to replace the fuel pump in this car? What are your guys opinions on this! Thanks!

Old 10-14-2012, 03:23 PM
10 Year Member

Oh also he said it was sitting for about 5 months and today when he first went to start it up again the check engine light came on, what could that be for?