General Monte Carlo Talk Talk about the Monte Carlo. Does not have to be your Monte. Can include pics and games.

Looking at a Monte to buy. Opinions?

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2009, 02:36 PM
3 Year Member
Default Looking at a Monte to buy. Opinions?

I am searching for an 00-05 Monte SS. I found a dealership near by with a bunch of them. The guy that owns the place must like Monte Carlos', a win win for me looking for one. I went up there and test drove this one

http://www.jandrsiouxfalls.com/show.aspx?vid=1455156

Right away, I noticed that the leather on the driver's side leather seat has some cracking in it. Not very bad though. The guy handed me the keys and it wouldn't start. However, it has been below zero for many days, and the cars has been sitting for a while. We used a booster pack and it fired right up. I took it out on the interstate and ran it through its paces.

The car runs smooth, has plenty of power, rides smooth, trans shifts smooth, doesn't pull in either direction when you let go of the wheel or step on the brake. However, on the way back, the ABS and traction control warning lamps came one.

When I got back I told the dude about it, they also have a shop there. He immediately told me pull the car into the shop. When I tried to start it back up to take it to the shop, again it wouldn't start. Got it going with the booster pack again.

The mechanic hooked the computer to it, and pulled out a bunch of codes. He determined that the battery was bad, and the low voltage from it was causing the problems. He put a new interstate battery in it right there, and cleared out the computer. I took it back out and ran it pretty hard. the warning light never came back on, and it restarts now after you shut it off.

The car has all the options, sunroof, driver information thing in the ceiling, spoiler, 87K miles, heated leather seats(they work, actually really well). I got the guy talked down to $6,400.00 for it, and they would stand behind the ABS light if it would come back on. The car does have a clean title. What do you all think?

They do have an 05 SS supercharged, but its a bit out of my price range.

Last edited by seawolf18; 12-16-2009 at 02:41 PM.
Old 12-16-2009, 04:09 PM
Default looking at Monte to buy

.....It would be a good idea to invest in a carfax report for that
car and anyother car that you are looking to buy .
I was looking for that same color interior. For some reason that
neutral / tan color is hard to find. Ask the dealership if
it's o.k. to have another trusted mechanic look it over ?
The price seems pretty good.......just really look it over. Put a magnet to it.
Check for any bondo ?
Hope that helps a bit. There is some smart owners on this forum
and they should be able to help you.
Good luck.

Old 12-16-2009, 04:35 PM

Yeah get a carfax, if they won't provide one.
Make an account and just log in the vin number.
That is a decent price for it, considering mileage. That's approx. the mileage my Monte had when i bought her, and i paid 11, xxx for her,...only because it was an Intimidator couldn't pass on it.

Also if you're thinking about paying cash at once.
I'd come in 6,xxx cash in hand and offer that...screw that 400.00 extra. ^.^ ..it works most of the times. Or unless you want to wait for January to come and it turns into 2010 and say that car is alot older NOW than last month. lol
IDK, way of saving an extra buck.

Last edited by Jomao_o; 12-16-2009 at 04:39 PM.
Old 12-16-2009, 05:11 PM

Like the others have said, I would get a Carfax. Personally I like the High Sport option on that year's Montes. It just looks better to me with the ground effects and optional wheels. That's just my opinion.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

Old 12-16-2009, 07:59 PM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2007
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

I see the link doesn't work because the car is no longer available. did you get it?

Old 12-16-2009, 08:30 PM
STILL SLOW
Monte Of The Month -- May 2010
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

That 05 is very good looking, go for it

Old 12-16-2009, 09:30 PM

Originally Posted by RocknSS04
I see the link doesn't work because the car is no longer available. did you get it?
Wow that was quick. I've seen adds a couple weeks later for vehicles I've bought in the past. These guys are quick!

Old 12-16-2009, 11:12 PM
Default ...monte to buy....

...Where are the emblems and other badging for that blue 05 ?
It has a Supercharged 3800 but where are the emblems ?
That one deserves some investigating....

Old 12-17-2009, 12:18 AM
3 Year Member

I didn't get the car. Looks like they already sold it. I will call the guy tomorrow to make sure.They also have a Black 01 SS with all the same options. I might have to go up there and look at that one too.

Last edited by seawolf18; 12-17-2009 at 01:26 AM.
Old 12-17-2009, 09:25 AM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Originally Posted by EarnhardtZ71
Personally I like the High Sport option on that year's Montes. It just looks better to me with the ground effects and optional wheels.
You sayin' I GOT AN UGLY CAR?!?!?! :p:p

Good luck on your hunt for a Monte, to me it sounds like that car was pretty good. It's nice to find a good running transmission!!!

Also ALWAYS make sure to check all the fluids before and after you test drive the car. Making sure everything is clean.

Quick Reply: Looking at a Monte to buy. Opinions?