General Monte Carlo Talk Talk about the Monte Carlo. Does not have to be your Monte. Can include pics and games.

Lite hiss/niss sound from radio amp

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2007, 02:21 AM
5 Year Member1 Year Member
Default Lite hiss/niss sound from radio amp

took my 06 SS into the dealer the other day for a few items. One thing I noticed is that my 8 speaker 200watt radio will emit a lite tape like hiss from the speakers; can't really hear it when listening to music. When a pause in audio, during a pause in DJ talk, or volume turned up to first notch when audio is real low - you hear it; turn volume down to "0" and no more hiss. Any one else experience this in their stock radio? Dealer says it's normal. If I have a chance i'll listen to a new Monte next time i'm at the dealer.

thanks!
Mr. 960

Old 02-28-2007, 04:20 AM
Default RE: Lite hiss/niss sound from radio amp

bump...... any thoughts???

thanks

Old 02-28-2007, 09:06 PM

My best guess isinterference from the electrical system. Can be caused by electronic devices like a cellphone, or the alternator, or the ignition, etc etc. First you would have to figure out where it's coming from. Because the hiss disappears when volume is at 0, I would first check to see if the hiss is coming from the stereo, which would make the power wire to the stereo suspect for the noise. The amp just boosts the signal from the stereo to push the speakers so if there is no signal (volume 0 ) then there's nothing for it to boost/amplify. Soeither at mute the stock stereo is still pushing a signal ( the hiss ) and the amp is amplifying it for the speakers. Or, there is interference on the signal wire from the Stereo to the Amp. Unfortunately you can't put a noise filter/reducer (standard radio shack item) on the signal wires between the stereo and the amp because it would filter the sound as well. GM probably uses just a standard wire harness(not RCA cables) to get the signal to the amp,since these are not sheilded, they are exposed to interference. If the signal wires to the amp were RCA however, you could get sheilded RCA cables, and eliminate the problem.

This is best guess of course, and my first course of action would be tosingle out the source of theinterference.Turn your cellphone off, and with the engine off, just switch the ignitionto accessory so that you can turn on the stereo. Mute or pause it. If you hear the hiss, then the interference isn't coming from the cellphone, alternator, or ignition,it's something else that you can't control. If you don't hear the hiss then the interference is one of those things we turned off. Leave the engine off, andturn your cellphone on and make a call. If the hiss comes back, then it's the cellphone, and you can eliminate it by not having the cellphone on while it's in the car. If it doesnt come back, it's not the cellphone, so it has to be due to the engine running.If the interferenceis from the engine, you can put a noise filter onthe Stereos power wire. Otherwise you'd have touse sheilded wires to carry the signal from the stereo to the amp to reduce outside interference.

Old 03-01-2007, 12:11 AM

Thanks,

It does it all the time. Engine on/off, acc. cell phone or no cell phone. I guess it's GM unshielded wires. It won't due it volune at "0" or with the mute on. GM says live with it. The advisor says it may be b/c there are so many things tied into the new GM radios. I won't worrey as long as I know other cars do it and not just mine.

thanks,
Mr. 960

ORIGINAL: FlynhghR

My best guess isinterference from the electrical system. Can be caused by electronic devices like a cellphone, or the alternator, or the ignition, etc etc. First you would have to figure out where it's coming from. Because the hiss disappears when volume is at 0, I would first check to see if the hiss is coming from the stereo, which would make the power wire to the stereo suspect for the noise. The amp just boosts the signal from the stereo to push the speakers so if there is no signal (volume 0 ) then there's nothing for it to boost/amplify. Soeither at mute the stock stereo is still pushing a signal ( the hiss ) and the amp is amplifying it for the speakers. Or, there is interference on the signal wire from the Stereo to the Amp. Unfortunately you can't put a noise filter/reducer (standard radio shack item) on the signal wires between the stereo and the amp because it would filter the sound as well. GM probably uses just a standard wire harness(not RCA cables) to get the signal to the amp,since these are not sheilded, they are exposed to interference. If the signal wires to the amp were RCA however, you could get sheilded RCA cables, and eliminate the problem.

This is best guess of course, and my first course of action would be tosingle out the source of theinterference.Turn your cellphone off, and with the engine off, just switch the ignitionto accessory so that you can turn on the stereo. Mute or pause it. If you hear the hiss, then the interference isn't coming from the cellphone, alternator, or ignition,it's something else that you can't control. If you don't hear the hiss then the interference is one of those things we turned off. Leave the engine off, andturn your cellphone on and make a call. If the hiss comes back, then it's the cellphone, and you can eliminate it by not having the cellphone on while it's in the car. If it doesnt come back, it's not the cellphone, so it has to be due to the engine running.If the interferenceis from the engine, you can put a noise filter onthe Stereos power wire. Otherwise you'd have touse sheilded wires to carry the signal from the stereo to the amp to reduce outside interference.