General Monte Carlo Talk Talk about the Monte Carlo. Does not have to be your Monte. Can include pics and games.

Opinion Needed: Lights upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2017, 07:52 AM
Default Lights upgrade

I am looking to upgrade my lights and I'm doubting of what is the best choice. Someone suggested me using HID lights is better than the others. He gave me this site xenonpro for me to buy. Has someone have other suggestions which you think is better?

Old 11-16-2017, 01:43 PM

IMO unless you're planning to add projectors at the same time, I wouldn't do it. I think it's super frustrating when people put HIDs in a regular housing and then blind oncoming traffic because there is no upper beam cutoff.

Old 11-16-2017, 02:26 PM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Not only that, but they don't technically throw light as far, they just make the close up extremely bright (and blinding to others).

I would just get a GE Nighthawk bulb (I've had better luck with these over silverstars) and replace with whatever the stock size bulb is.

Old 11-17-2017, 10:29 PM

I agree, with Blacksheep, I have the Sylvania zxe bulbs, and they are bright white and throw light pretty far up the road, plus the HID conversion is a pain to do. My nephew put HID's in 95 corolla and yes they were super bright but not worth the trouble IMO !

Old 11-18-2017, 10:34 AM

One other thing to consider about aftermarket HIDs is the poor reliability record. Not that everyone has issues, but with those cheap <$100 aftermarket kits they tend to have frequent failures between bulbs and ballasts. I've run them in both of my GPs and went through at least 1 entire full kit worth of parts (2 bulbs, 2 ballasts) on each car over the handful of years I had them.

Had a buddy with a GTO that had similar issues with HID from a different company on both his lows and fogs. Luckily his friend was the distributor so replacements were free/cheap, but he got to the point of just putting regular bulbs back in due to all of the hassle. Seemed like every few months he was replacing something.

There's a reason real factory bulbs and ballasts run like 10x what the aftermarket junk runs.

Old 11-19-2017, 01:11 AM

First, UM nearly loses to a crap team called (I am not making this up) the Hoos, and now the forum unanimously advises against a mod. I don't think my heart can survive many days like this.

For the record, I second all the above, especially the "blinding other drivers is bad" bit.