General Monte Carlo Talk Talk about the Monte Carlo. Does not have to be your Monte. Can include pics and games.

Installing shorter dogbones

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2010, 08:24 PM
Default Installing shorter dogbones

Is this a tall order or is it pretty easy to do? Just wondering how to get the engine to rock forward to get the shorter bones to attach.

I was planning on getting the new shorter dogbones for when I lower the car but is there any reason I couldn't/shouldn't put them in before I lower it?

Old 05-04-2010, 10:53 AM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Once you undo your dogbones, the engine will move freely forward and backwards and you can pull it in and put the new dogbones on.

Piece of cake.

If you want to make it easier, and have a ratchet strap and a tree, just use the mount for pulling the engine and use the ratchet to pull it close enough to put the new dog-bone on, although with just your hands should be easy too.

Old 05-04-2010, 05:00 PM

When I put on my DP I took off mine and it was really easy all i did was put a piece of wood in front and back of the motor so i wouldnt hit nothing.
And before anyone asks why i took them off just to put on a DP, it just made it a lot easier.

There isnt any real reason you shouldnt put them on now, but it really wont do anything good except put more weight on the front wheels. And(im not sure on this) but it might throw your handling off just a bit having the motor up front more.

Last edited by wht02monte; 05-04-2010 at 05:03 PM.
Old 05-04-2010, 05:02 PM

Originally Posted by ChibiBlackSheep

If you want to make it easier, and have a ratchet strap and a tree, just use the mount for pulling the engine and use the ratchet to pull it close enough to put the new dog-bone on, although with just your hands should be easy too.

Damn that's a good idea. I have a couple of ratchet straps with the hooks too.

Old 05-04-2010, 07:38 PM

what is the purpose of this?

Old 05-04-2010, 08:02 PM

There is a purpose, it is to keep from vibrating when you lower it. And it puts more weight on the front wheels so there is better trac for launches.

Old 05-04-2010, 08:23 PM

Originally Posted by ChibiBlackSheep
Once you undo your dogbones, the engine will move freely forward and backwards and you can pull it in and put the new dogbones on.

Piece of cake.

Sweet, thanks for clearing that up. I won't fret about getting this done then. And good tip/idea too. I'll definitely have a buddy here helping me out so it should be pretty easy sounds like.

So any reason I shouldn't do this mod in advance of the actual lowering?

Old 05-04-2010, 08:56 PM

Originally Posted by wht02monte
There is a purpose, it is to keep from vibrating when you lower it. And it puts more weight on the front wheels so there is better trac for launches.
I just read the ZZP write up on this and it does make sense with headers too

Old 05-04-2010, 10:42 PM

Ahh, forgot about the header clearence. But no, there really isnt a reason you shouldnt do it in advace. And if you got a buddy helping you, you could just have him/her hold the motor in place 'till you get one of the mounts on and you'll be good from there on out, you wont need the straps at all if your friend holds the engine. Just be real carful you dont let the engine go cause if you let the engine "fall", there is something that it can break. (and im not sure exactly what) But like I said, its gonna throw off your cornering a little, meaning you wont be able to take corners as good as you can now. cause, again, the engine is gonna be slightly forward. But like I said, youre gonna be able to launch a lot quicker(more weight on the front wheels).
Good luck to you. And be sure to post pics.

Old 05-04-2010, 11:13 PM

Originally Posted by wht02monte
But no, there really isnt a reason you shouldnt do it in advace. But like I said, its gonna throw off your cornering a little, meaning you wont be able to take corners as good as you can now. cause, again, the engine is gonna be slightly forward. But like I said, youre gonna be able to launch a lot quicker(more weight on the front wheels).
Good luck to you. And be sure to post pics.
I'm no speed racer anyway, I drive slow so people can see how clean my ride is

Good **** then, i'm gonna order the dogbones asap and get them in there that way it's one less thing I gotta do when it's time to lower this bad boy!

Quick Reply: Installing shorter dogbones