General Monte Carlo Talk Talk about the Monte Carlo. Does not have to be your Monte. Can include pics and games.

IAT sensor help

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2017, 04:08 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default IAT sensor help

Whats the ideal position/location for the iat sensor??

Long story short I unwrapped my intake pipe because there was a HUGE heat soak issue and in doing so I placed the coupler that holds the sensor maybe two inches further down the intake pipe(its broken up into several sections) and now my timing advance is about 20* rather than the 35* it has been.. How could this cause any difference?

Intake temps are noticeably lower now. Just 5* or so above outside with almost zero heatsoak..

Ive been reading around trying to find out and see all this stuff about people "relocating" theirs.. This is not what I have done.. Its simply 2-3 inches closer to the headlight, in the intake pipe still.. Whats the deal?

EDIT: So I went and put it all back exactly the same before posting this just because it seems like I should and still not getting the timing advance as I was before..

Last edited by wht02monte; 07-04-2017 at 04:23 PM.
Old 07-04-2017, 04:21 PM
10 Year Member

Ok so, is there a front and rear to the sensor??

Old 07-05-2017, 08:33 AM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Timing is going to change constantly. The IAT, MAF, engine temp, engine load, etc. etc. all effect it. What you need to do is get proper scanning software so that you can compare across a bunch of different sensors under various conditions to know if anything is truly different.

Old 07-05-2017, 10:06 AM
10 Year Member

Originally Posted by ChibiBlackSheep
Timing is going to change constantly. The IAT, MAF, engine temp, engine load, etc. etc. all effect it. What you need to do is get proper scanning software so that you can compare across a bunch of different sensors under various conditions to know if anything is truly different.
Yea Ive noticed since last night it has kinda normalized.. Posted in a panic, ya know.....

Old 07-05-2017, 10:34 AM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Yeah, it's a constantly changing variable. Most of these things are.

Because of how much this stuff changes, I actually run tunes per season. The change of temp and humidity can drastically change things, so I have a summer and winter tune for the Camaro, and Spring/Summer/Fall for the Monte.

Old 07-05-2017, 08:43 PM

Originally Posted by wht02monte
EDIT: So I went and put it all back exactly the same before posting this just because it seems like I should and still not getting the timing advance as I was before..
Since you're talking such high numbers, that's clearly not WOT timing. Unless the car is falling on its face for some reason at part throttle, I wouldn't worry about monitoring non WOT timing. Actually, unless you're actively tuning or data logging during the tune process, KR is really the only timing related value that is worth monitoring.

There are certainly a lot of variables that go into what timing is called for at different times. Most importantly, it has to be the exact same rpm and load (map) to compare a to b at all. 2500 rpm near WOT is going to have a lot less timing than 2500 rpm at 10% throttle on a flat road. Even then, there are other modifiers that can change the value beyond the base number.

As for ideal IAT location, IMO, location is pretty unimportant on a modded l67 as its pre-blower. Just stick it somewhere in the intake tube and itll be fine. Sure it's nice to pull a little timing if it starts getting crazy hot out, but with how people pulley drop the heck out of these engines, the blower's added heat via a tiny pulley is a far bigger change in what the cylinder sees than outside temperature does. It gets more and more true the further you overspin the blower out of its efficient range. Lots of people used to run the 'happy ****' which deleted the IAT sensor altogether and gave you a dial to add different amounts of timing manually (along with a tune set up for it).

Last edited by bumpin96monte; 07-05-2017 at 10:14 PM.