General Monte Carlo Talk Talk about the Monte Carlo. Does not have to be your Monte. Can include pics and games.

I need project ideas!

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2012, 11:13 AM
1 Year Member
Default I need project ideas!

Hey y'all

I need ideas for a project to do for my Monte. This entire year I've been so caught up with my car audio projects that I've all but neglected the Monte itself! Each time I pay a visit over here I realize just how badly I'm in need of a project to enhance the looks or performance a little. I need ideas that will fit the budget of a college kid - that's crucial. Something to tide me over while I save up to lower the car in a few months.

Nothing too crazy like a top swap (that's for when the Monte isn't my daily driver ).

Better yet, give me some pics to go with suggestions.

Old 03-30-2012, 11:29 AM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

You just need to look at the tiny things.

Are you completely stock? I don't remember what you have currently done.

A nice intake is fun and easy. A really good detailing is always fun. Polish up some stuff. etc.

Old 03-30-2012, 11:32 AM
Monte Of The Month -- October 2011
Monte Of The Month -- July 2014
RED DEVIL
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

CAIs are a fun little project.

Old 03-30-2012, 11:36 AM
1 Year Member

I thought about CAI, but ensuring that water doesn't get inside it is what has put me off. Since my car is soo heavy due to all the audio gear I have weighing it down, I have to be careful with performance enhancing upgrades as to not drop too much into it. If I'm lucky, I'll manage to get back to stock performance :p

I detail the hell out of my car, trust me I just need something new to look at or tinker with. Been eyeing the checkered flag decals, but I don't know where to find them or how much they cost, and if I really want to stray a bit from my blacked-out theme by putting those on. I just need a few ideas to mull over. Seeing everyone's mods to their Montes really incites me to do something else to mine.

Old 03-30-2012, 11:43 AM

15 Year Member

Get a proper CAI, honestly water should be your last concern. Unless your putting a filter in a puddle, or so far down that in the rain it picks up a lot of moisture you need not worry.

Everything is made to handle a little water, the filters aren't going to let streams of water get through. And the SOUND it makes!!! Totally worth it alone. Even if it didn't add performance haha.

Old 03-30-2012, 11:47 AM
1 Year Member

I live in Georgia where it rains, and when it rains, it floods.

Say I do get a CAI... how much whp can I expect to gain, with ~ 110lbs of added weight dispersed throughout the car? What brand should I go with? Get a kit or build it myself?

Old 03-30-2012, 12:05 PM

15 Year Member

You won't feel the gains. It's minimal at best, but it's the STARTING point for modifying an engine. Engine has to breathe better before it can do anything else

But the sounds are amazing!!! Trust me, getting a CAI won't have water issues.

Look at the Wizaired from ZZP, or the CAI from coldairinductions.com (especially since they are now a sponsor) Bill from CAI should be able to give you a little forum discount to if you ask nicely

Old 03-30-2012, 12:15 PM
1 Year Member

I like discounts I'll check it out.

What's the avg price on a decent muffler/exhaust swap? I want a little more growl, not a ricey fartcan. Preferably no cat-back, just mufflers. Unless it's really worth the price to do a cat-back..

Old 03-30-2012, 12:22 PM

15 Year Member

Back when GMPP made the cat-back, price wise it was worth it.

Figure $100-$150 for the mufflers, and another $50 for the tips, plus a little weld time.

You can probably snag it for around $250 out the shop door and keeping stainless.

Old 03-30-2012, 12:24 PM
1 Year Member

Oh $250 isn't bad. That's another thing to add to the list now.

Quick Reply: I need project ideas!