General Monte Carlo Talk Talk about the Monte Carlo. Does not have to be your Monte. Can include pics and games.

I have been drooling since last night....

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2008, 04:05 PM
5 Year Member
Default I have been drooling since last night....

I've been working a lot of overtime and saving money both to do some upgrades to my 2001 LS and also I plan on getting a motorcyle in the spring.

Last night I found a 2004 supercharged SS at a dealer just across the bridge in jersey. It's berry purple with silver body skirts. Just under 50000 miles for 12 grand.

I'm considering scrapping the motorcyle plans, and trading in my 2001 LS to get the SS.

What do you guys think?

Anything I should consider when I test drive the supercharged monte? I'm not a mechanic, and would greatly appreciate any suggestions from members with a similar model as far as what to look for and what fails easily.

Oh, and here's a pic of what I've been drooling over....

-Riggs

[IMG]local://upfiles/4436/F5B5AC6CE2B948E2975422DDA6DCA796.jpg[/IMG]

Old 10-11-2008, 04:08 PM

Fallen to the Dark Side - Resident Ford Man
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default RE: I have been drooling since last night....

after you drive, look under neath ti to make sure nothing is leaking out. make sure the air conditioner and heater work, make sure the fan works on all levels. basically, tinker with every control the car has and make sure they all work.

when you drive, make sure you get into ti easy, then hard, somewhere in between, then hard again. as long as it feels smooth it should be fine.

with a car that new with that kind of miles,you shouldn't need to check out alot of things about it.

Old 10-11-2008, 07:37 PM
rj
15 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

I can't say about the rest of the country but in my area there aren't a lot of Montes wearing that color. SS or otherwise.

It looks like a nice car.

Old 10-11-2008, 08:08 PM
Taz

Monte Of The Month -- March 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

ORIGINAL: rj

I can't say about the rest of the country but in my area there aren't a lot of Montes wearing that color. SS or otherwise.

It looks like a nice car.

I'd have to agree. On all the Monte forums I've been on, I don't think I've seen that color combo on a 6th gen Monte very often. If at all. I've seen the purple, but not with the silver ground effects.

If it's physically and mechanically sound, you should really enjoy that car. The supercharged engine is alot of fun.
But an important thing to keep in mind is the supercharged 3.8 calls for premium gas!

Old 10-11-2008, 09:02 PM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2007

Agreed on the color! RARE! i LIKE it! I saw one the same color about 3 weeks ago at a restaurant. It had the cream colored landau top like rick-o-matics.
Also agreed on the running premium, however, if you can keep your foot out of it, you CAN run mid grade. You do ANY mods, forget that! But the reason I bought this Intimidator SS was because I wanted the L67. My 01 SS LE was the same identical car, only n/a.

Only so much you can do easily without getting expensive. You can do this and that, and get powerful, but you still got the same 4t60e tranny and axles, but with the L67, you get the beefier 4t65e-hd tranny and the hd axles. And with a little external modding, you can EASILY get 300hp from these L67s, and as Keegan (ExplosiveSoundz) knows, he dyno'ed 336hp at the wheels. Others have more than that! 336 at the wheels is over 400hp at the crank! You can't do that on a n/a 3.8 without a turbo kit.
Point is, these engines stock are bullet-proof, and with a little effort, they can run GOOD! ZZPerformance tells me I should be about 315hp (crank) with the mods I have.

Old 10-11-2008, 09:44 PM

ask to get the car in the air. flash light the suspension, brakes, tire tread, look for any possible signs of accident. like runs more towars the lowers, jack damage, leaks from obvious things. check all the fluid colors. i find that if you are more like a salesman when trying to purcahse a car the real salesmen backs off a bit makes youmuch happier, and in turn hes more negotiable.

Old 10-11-2008, 11:19 PM

I'd be interested in knowing the "Maintenance Record". Jot down the VIN and go ask Service to look-it-up for you. If there was all of it's recommended services done with nothing unusual pulled-up when you get the history ... you'll have some valuable information for decision making.

Old 10-12-2008, 12:33 AM
STILL SLOW
Monte Of The Month -- May 2010
10 Year Member

ORIGINAL: RocknSS04

*snip*
That pic makes me feel all warm inside.

Go for the car dude, looks amazing!

Old 10-12-2008, 09:03 AM

The supercharged drivetrain is much stronger as listed above and is a very reliable engine. Many mods available if you want that.

Fuel mileage will go down a bit as well.

Old 10-13-2008, 04:33 AM
Taz

Monte Of The Month -- March 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Oh yeah...
Carfax the VIN.

Quick Reply: I have been drooling since last night....